Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP issue with On-Ramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the east the merging section of on-ramps is often not painted with dots or dashes, so my Model 3 interprets the on-ramp section as just an extra wide lane. When on EAP, the car will suddenly weave to the center of this 'wide' lane then move back to the left as the merge section ends. It's very predictable, but it scares my wife every time it happens. It seems to me that that it should be somewhat trivial for the EAP software to know when it is at an on-ramp section of highway and during that second or so, just use the left lane marking to maintain its position in the lane.
Anyone else notice this issue?

Really smart folks are in charge of this stuff. My guess is the answer is states have to get in line and comply with road painting conventions soon enough.
Surely you're not suggesting state government will get together and adopt standards?
I'm absolutely sure the government employs really smart people - but the ideas they have is funneled through so much self interest and political infighting that all the good stuff gets abandoned and replaced by pet projects.
Smart isn't a word I'd use.
Great example Houston, TX uses dotted lines at onramps etc. Austin, TX does not, sometimes but does on others for no rhyme or reason.

I see the OP’s post was in early October prior to release of V9. I had this issue and used to move over to the left lane when I saw a ramp coming.
I had similar issues until V9 which fixed this problem for me. Now with NoA the problem now is it seems to think these ramp mergers are turning lanes and asks for confirmation to move over to left lane when not needed.

I see the OP’s post was in early October prior to release of V9. I had this issue and used to move over to the left lane when I saw a ramp coming.
I had similar issues until V9 which fixed this problem for me. Now with NoA the problem now is it seems to think these ramp mergers are turning lanes and asks for confirmation to move over to left lane when not needed.

I still experience this behavior even with v9.

Maybe the algorithm should be if either line is farther then 6ft and the closest line is already at a good 2-3ft to just chill and use the close line as the guide.

The ap behavior reminds me of Elaine in Seinfeld. Kramer repainted the lanes of his adopted highway to wider lanes like it was akin to wider airplane seats. Later Elaine drove on it and was swerving within the lines to make use of the luxurious wider lanes.

I wish this was improved. I can't just AP 100% in the right lane in traffic because of it, plus it isn't aggressive enough for mergers, gives too much yield and space to them and people behind me get mad.

I guess Autopilot is still beta so maybe it will improve.

This is just an incredibly difficult problem. Car has to see the line with the camera early enough, and make a decision on how to respond smoothly to take the correct lane without indecision, nearly immediately.

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt this will get that much better. At some point they’ll throw in the towel on this and call it final. I would guess they’ll need better resolution cameras and more powerful image processing & computing power to really get this right. Those FSD folks will be so happy!

The way I see it, a human driver unfamiliar with such a situation (with poor visibility) is likely to swerve disconcertingly in such a situation, so I can’t imagine EAP is ever going to be much better than that. Unless of course it is all mapped out in a database...

I really hope I am wrong though. Maybe these neural nets really are like magic.

I tried to mitigate this issue on a recent Interstate road trip (it's actually off-ramps that are the problem). I don't know if I made any progress. When EAP would attempt to follow an off-ramp, I gently but firmly held the steering wheel on the correct line that it *should* follow, and it eventually corrected itself and we continued on our way. The converse was to allow EAP to try to follow the off-ramp, see it realize that it shouldn't, then pee-my-pants when EAP violently jerks the car to the left at the last second to correct course.

Yeah, this is unacceptable. I thought that I was, perhaps, "teaching" EAP how not-to-follow off-ramps when they're not on the mapped route...although I would argue that I shouldn't have to do that since EAP is supposed to "know" that. I really, really *want* to like EAP, but it's still in beta and I can't trust it, yet.

Other issues with EAP keep me from using it, right now. A few times, EAP suddenly decelerated from 70 mph to 20 mph or so without warning. Nothing that I could see caused this, and fortunately there was no closely following traffic or I would surely have been rear-ended. Other times it swerved to miss something that wasn't there.

Lots of improving to be done, and I have confidence that the Tesla team is on it.

I just turn it off most of the time to change lanes, merge etc. Then turn it back on. I don't really try to use Nav on autopilot anymore other than to get a heads up on upcoming intersections, much too dangerous unless conditions are perfect. Still has phantom braking issues, even in stop and go traffic.