Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, with a few days getting used to EAP, I have a couple of observations. First, I noticed that it isn't available to engage in turns, only on straightaways. I'm starting to think that the reason isn't the turn (because it is correctly seeing the lane lines) but that it is sensing the torque of your hand on the steering wheel (which you need to make the turn) and so it's sensing that you're doing something so it won't take over for you. On a straightaway, you have little, if any, torque on the steering wheel and then it allows you to engage assuming that it can see the lane lines.

Second, the car is so sporty that I have a hard time slowing down for turns (as long as I have good visibility and I know that it's safe). It is SO fun, composed and predictable. There is a low traffic, curvy road near my house that has a lot of diverse turns. I was playing around with EAP on it the other day to see what the limits are. In one section in particular, the speed limit is 40 (mph) but there is a yellow caution speed sign that recommends 25. There is good visibility and I can easily take it at 60+ if I'm driving but EAP runs very wide at even 40. I've realized that if I want EAP to take the turn safely, I need to slow down to 25-30. Since it correctly knows that the speed limit is 40, it won't slow down on its own until it's too late and it's already run wide on the turn. This requires manual input on the driver's end to either take over or slow down the cruise control.

Third, I've seen a lot of other people post similar experiences, EAP gets confused sometimes at merge lanes and turn lanes where it tries to run in the middle of the two outer lines. So, if I'm in the right lane approaching a merge lane, as soon as the line between me and the merge lane disappears, EAP will often (but not always) drift to the right to stay in the middle of the new wide lane. If there is no other traffic, then this isn't a safety/courtesy problem but it probably makes it look like I'm drunk or texting because of it wandering around. It's not as bad when approaching turn lanes but it will often drift a little bit into the turn lane until the new lane line appears and then it will adjust back into the correct lane.

Fourth, I can't figure out the pattern on this one but I've had it attempt to cut people off when using the lane change. It's only happened a couple of times but my memory of it is that it happens when the car in the adjacent lane is just behind me. One time in particular the car was probably less than a car length behind me. It's almost as if it doesn't sense the car there. I quickly took control and put it back into my lane but that's much too close at highway speeds. I've used it several times and it usually either speeds up or slows down and courteously moves into the other lane.

Fifth, it works at night but it's not as rock solid. It seems to drift around the lane a little bit more than it does in the daylight.

I've been playing/testing with EAP a lot. I've only had the car for 4 days and I've already put 400 miles on it. I liken this to finding an open parking lot the first time you're getting used to driving in the snow. I always do this even in familiar vehicles during the first snowfall of the season just to get used to what the limits are. That way I can make the mistakes in a safe environment when there are no consequences. With EAP, I want to know exactly what it can and can't do so that I can know when to trust it and when I need to be very vigilant.

Definitely not complaints, just observations. I'm totally amazed by the technology and I think it's going to be fantastically fun to watch it improve.

For your fourth item, you’re not really using it properly. Looking at the owner’s manual...

To change lanes using Auto Lane Change:
1. Perform visual checks to make sure it is safe and appropriate to move into the target lane.
2. Engage the appropriate turn signal.
3. Disengage the turn signal after you are in the target lane.

It sounds like you skipped step 1 and went right to step 2. You really should be checking your mirrors first, and only if you would then initiate a lane change, activate the turn signal. Don’t rely on the sensors to prevent it from making an unsafe lane change. There are known situations, like a rapidly approaching vehicle, that it can’t detect. This, of course, precludes using a turn signal to tell someone driving in your blind spot to “Get out of my way!”. To do that, you would really need to deactivate autosteer, perform the lane change, reactivate autosteer.

• Informative
Reactions: d21mike and Arpe
For your fourth item, you’re not really using it properly. Looking at the owner’s manual...

It sounds like you skipped step 1 and went right to step 2. You really should be checking your mirrors first, and only if you would then initiate a lane change, activate the turn signal. Don’t rely on the sensors to prevent it from making an unsafe lane change. There are known situations, like a rapidly approaching vehicle, that it can’t detect. This, of course, precludes using a turn signal to tell someone driving in your blind spot to “Get out of my way!”. To do that, you would really need to deactivate autosteer, perform the lane change, reactivate autosteer.
Good point. I missed or forgot that in the manual. I'm not disputing & that's what I'll do from now on but it's interesting that sometimes it would speed up or slow down to make the lane change safely and a few times not. Still a work in progress I suppose.

This past weekend I had a case where auto lane change could of performed better. Me in the slow lane (2 lane freeway) following a car that was going slower than my set speed. I waited for a car to pass me on the left then used the turn single to initiate the auto lane change. Nothing happened right away. The car that had just passed me on the left had not yet come adjacent to the car I was following (my following setting was set to 1). After a long delay the car decided to make the lane change - but by that time a car came up from behind making the lane change unsafe. I forced the car back to the slow lane. So, when I initiated the lane change there was plenty of space to make a safe lane change but the car waited too long and tried (IMO) to do an unsafe lane change. Just something to look out for.

Oh, BTW, I'm on 2018.14.3.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
After a long delay the car decided to make the lane change - but by that time a car came up from behind making the lane change unsafe. I forced the car back to the slow lane. So, when I initiated the lane change there was plenty of space to make a safe lane change but the car waited too long and tried (IMO) to do an unsafe lane change. Just something to look out for.

Yeah, I wait for engraved invitations when using auto lane change. So, clear for a long, long ways. Otherwise, when the car hesitates like you describe, I don't end up having to wrestle it back once it decides to change after someone has closed the gap. Any sort of even semi-precision lane changing I do manually.

I have a feeling that once "real" auto lane change is turned on, the car might drive like an a-hole and cut people off regularly. We will see how that gets implemented.

Reactions: d21mike
In the early days of hw 1 cars, lane change was quite abrupt. Tesla modified it and smoothed it down. Nowadays I notice the hesitation you describe. The car waits until the passing car is well clear, possibly showing up in the radar or vision before initiating a lane change. Remember the ultrasonics are very short range so don’t ask the car to auto change unless there is a large gap.

I've also noticed that the car adjusts speed during the lane change based on what's happening in the lane you are moving to. If there are no leading cars in the destination lane or traffic is moving faster than you (and your set speed is higher then currents speed), it will gently accelerate into the lane change. If there is a lead car moving slower than you, it will slow down.

On my test drive (I don’t yet have delivery) the salesman said that the lane change will observe a car next to you and decline to function but if a car is not physically in the space the Tesla wants to occupy, or worse, it’s an accelerating car, the Tesla has no problem cutting off a car, or in the case of an accelerating car, not realizing the space will be occupied during the lane change.

I don’t get a sense the radar currently has ARPA capability.