Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP on MY

Buying EAP at 4K?

• Yes

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Still thinking about it but LIKELY YES

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Still thinking about it but LIKELY NO

Votes: 24 32.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the fence about whether EAP is worth it at 4K. During COVID I've driven on the highways much less frequently than before, but, that will change sooner or later.

I am curious how many of you who do not already have FSD might opt for EAP on your MY at 4K.

I don't love that it increases the cost of FSD to 5K more later, but for now I don't think you get a ton of additional features for FSD *now* so I'm definitely not inclined to shell out 8K. (I paid for FSD on my S and never got much out of that investment.)

I'm kind of hoping to see what MY owners will do as opposed to other cars since our cars are all pretty much new. (If I had an older Tesla, the proposition of adding anything would be much less worth it to me I suppose.) I saw a poll in a M3 forum, but didn't see one for MY owners. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Briefly thought about it but many more things that I'd put $4k towards. New bathroom, pay down my mortgage, put more money towards retirement (I'm 59). Just doesn't bring enough value to me... would think twice about $3k for stealth performance.

Same.

I test drove a Model Y with FSD and then got more experience w/ it when I had a loaner 2018 Model S for about 3 days. It's great - best features are obviously limited to highway driving right now with stoplights and stop signs being massaged out.

EAP definitely has all the cool tech features that I'd use most frequently
- auto park
- auto lane change

I'd never even ever use summon probably.

FSD at $8K was never gonna be a purchase for me. EAP at $4K made me think for about 5 seconds, but like @PatinCT , I/d personally put the $4K into other things. I think it's great for those who wanted those features only and are now getting it for 1/2 the price - by all means, do your thing and enjoy your car to the fullest!

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
I am on the fence about whether EAP is worth it at 4K. During COVID I've driven on the highways much less frequently than before, but, that will change sooner or later.

I am curious how many of you who do not already have FSD might opt for EAP on your MY at 4K.

I don't love that it increases the cost of FSD to 5K more later, but for now I don't think you get a ton of additional features for FSD *now* so I'm definitely not inclined to shell out 8K. (I paid for FSD on my S and never got much out of that investment.)

I'm kind of hoping to see what MY owners will do as opposed to other cars since our cars are all pretty much new. (If I had an older Tesla, the proposition of adding anything would be much less worth it to me I suppose.) I saw a poll in a M3 forum, but didn't see one for MY owners. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

yeah this is a tough one. It depends on whether you believe FSD will be coming. If you assume FSD *will* happen, then the real question is, "Is FSD worth $4K beyond my car changing lanes on its own". If you think FSD is a pipedream, i don't think just lane changes would be worth $4K (I'm not even considering autopark, which I find to be hit and miss...)

Bought EAP this morning for my MY, and my wife will get hers tomorrow for her MY. For us, it has all that we wanted from FSD. And we both get the great features for the price of one FSD.

I tried the NoAP today and it worked pretty good...way better than some other stories would have me believe. The (dumb) summon works great for pulling the car out of the garage. Again, much faster than I’ve seen in videos. And I even tried smart summon from my driveway to the street and the car did great. Now, not sure how much I’ll use it going forward, but it worked.

But the star of the show was auto lane change on AP. Man that is the killer feature!! So very cool to be able to get around a slow vehicle without having to disengage/re-engage AP each time.

I just traded my Model 3 with FSD for a Model Y without FSD.
In addition to auto lane change, the feature I miss most is how FSD smoothly stops for traffic lights and stop signs. If a driver was distracted and didn't notice the light had changed, it would stop the car. That is a great safety feature.
I have been driving on TACC following another car which went through a light just as it turns yellow. The Tesla stopped on its own as soon as it saw the light change.
Unfortunately, they reserved the stop sign/traffic light features for FSD.
If I buy an upgrade it will probably be FSD, not EAP. It's a pretty safe bet that all new features will be exclusive to FSD. I don't want to end up buying it in two pieces and paying more. Knowing me, that is very likely what I would end up doing.

Edit: Forgot to mention the chime which tells you the light has changed to green, in case you weren't paying attention. Don't think that comes with EAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reborn
I will wait for the subscription option. My highway drive is just 10mts of my daily commute and I can work with Autopilot for that. I also don't have much use for Autopark or Summon either. Parking is easy here in TX and 'Summon' you only use it once when you show your car to your friends. I like Traffic Lights/Sign Recognition though.

Last edited:
I optioned for FSD back when I bought my Y but after seeing that you can now(albeit temporarily) purchase EAP for half the price, I think Tesla should not even be selling “FSD.” After all, we all know what we are really buying is the promise of FSD.

Strange that they haven't added it to the order process, still just Autopilot or FSD. I'm not planning on ordering FSD at purchase, to keep the price below $55k and get the NJ EV Rebate. But was going to order FSD after purchase, once I got the rebate.

Strange that they haven't added it to the order process, still just Autopilot or FSD. I'm not planning on ordering FSD at purchase, to keep the price below $55k and get the NJ EV Rebate. But was going to order FSD after purchase, once I got the rebate.
Since the EAP option expires on 9/30, it makes sense they don't offer it to new purchases/builds since those won't get delivered until after October.

Reactions: DanDi58

yes I am bummed too. I would add EAP in a heartbeat but probably won’t take delivery until after 9/30 so I will miss out this time, I wish you could add it when ordering but it would also put me over the $55,000 and lose the $5000 NJ EV rebate. I would have to wait for the next end of quarter sale to add EAP. I’m also intrigued by the subscription model for FSD that’s being rumoured. I will probably eat up most of $5K doing PPF and Ceramic Coating.

Reactions: DanDi58 and alexcue
Since the EAP option expires on 9/30, it makes sense they don't offer it to new purchases/builds since those won't get delivered until after October.

yes I am bummed too. I would add EAP in a heartbeat but probably won’t take delivery until after 9/30 so I will miss out this time, I wish you could add it when ordering but it would also put me over the $55,000 and lose the $5000 NJ EV rebate. I would have to wait for the next end of quarter sale to add EAP. I’m also intrigued by the subscription model for FSD that’s being rumoured. I will probably eat up most of $5K doing PPF and Ceramic Coating.

I’ve read somewhere someone had luck using call/chat to have EAP added to an existing order. I don’t know if true, but, worth a shot if you really want it. Try your SA!

I just placed an order for MY on 10/9. I don't want to pay for FSD but I will pay for EAP.
I did reach out to Tesla SA and she told me that EAP was a time limited offer and is not available any more. Not sure if EAP will be back at end of Q4 but at this time it is not possible to add it to new orders.