Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP on window sticker but I didn’t pay for it, it worked initially and then didn’t

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, you guys are overanalyzing this.

It's rather simple, the OP didn't pay for it so therefore he's not entitled to it.
We are definitely over-analyzing this. But the fact remains that Tesla may have sold EAP and forgot to bill for it. It's all quirky and the OP should just try to work it out with Tesla.

For sure, it is NOT worth getting legal over. If Tesla screwed up in the OP's favor - OK. If Tesla screwed up in their favor - OK too. Tesla makes so many changes and is so disorganized that anything could have happened.

Something must have happened to a bunch of cars - because the chances of Tesla randomly figuring out that a car sold months ago was not in their database of EAP owners is small.

In a traditional dealership, just like the OP's example of a more expensive 19" wheel on the sticker is listed and what if I wouldn't want to pay for that, they would take it off and get me a cheaper 18" wheel. The Monroney lists $62,700, but I only had to pay about $60,000.

But someone forgot to switch the wheels and of course, once that mistake is discovered, I'll have to pay up an additional $2,700 if I want to keep the wheels or they might "steal" back the expensive ones against my will.

So, it's possible to pay less than the Monroney price as long as the receipt has all those items accounted for ($2,700 19" wheel is included for no extra charge or additional $2,700 is due).

Agreed again! But ... this is all the result of Tesla changing things on a dime. EAP isn't even a feature anymore. I'm not pro Tesla or against Tesla - I'm just saying that this is one big F'd up mess! The OP has some merit with his initial claim, Though Tesla has merit also.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sherlo and smatthew
IF you pay for it. It's quite simple. If a dealership accidentally gave you a car with options you didn't pay for. It's not mandated that you must keep them because the Monroney sticker lists those options available for that car. Simply.

Tesla did screw up in the OPs favor. He got free autopilot for X months.

I agree too. BUT .. how is Tesla going to charge "after the fact" for something they don't even sell anymore? We're talking EAP here, not "FSD".

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
I'm just glad I don't have to make a decision on a problem like this! It is all so weird!

Not so weird:

1. Car was originally build with certain options
2. Car was sold without a feature
3. Car was configured to as-sold condition

What's weird (to me) is that FSD changes the replacement value of a car by $7k. Have fun explaining that to your insurance company if you upgraded later. Does Tesla insurance charge itself for FSD replacement? Or do they just transfer it gratis?

So, your entire argument here seems to amount to "no backsies" or "finders keepers".

Cool story, but fully irrelevant. You got to use something you didn't purchase, and knew you didn't purchase yet did nothing to try and rectify, for nearly a year. Now that they've fixed the mistake, you think someone "stole" something from you?

Yeah, I'd tell you to pound sand and pay the full current asking price too.

Reactions: gaswalla
Thanks for the last posts! This whole mess is what is so confusing to me. If Tesla is trying to be a real car manufacturer these are topics that need to be addressed and solved. Always picture that same situation with a traditional manufacturer.

It isn't as straight forward because features that are essential to the driving experience can now be controlled remotely and the owner has no control over it. I get that I didn't pay for it. That point is clear as day and doesn't need to be elaborated on any more.

If I look at the wheels example again, someone from a dealer would have had to call me to ask me to come back in and offer the option to purchase them. Tesla just acted.

Have you had the option to demo a sun roof or additional airbags and had to return them? I don't think so :)

Have you had the option to demo a sun roof or additional airbags and had to return them? I don't think so :)

Have you every left the lot with a car with a sunroof or upgraded wheels you didn't pay for?

I've done the opposite. Bought a car then brought it back to have the upgraded radio that I paid for at time of purchase installed. (due to not having my desired configuration available, everyone was on the same page. No new sticker.)

We are definitely over-analyzing this. But the fact remains that Tesla may have sold EAP and forgot to bill for it. It's all quirky and the OP should just try to work it out with Tesla.

For sure, it is NOT worth getting legal over. If Tesla screwed up in the OP's favor - OK. If Tesla screwed up in their favor - OK too. Tesla makes so many changes and is so disorganized that anything could have happened.

Something must have happened to a bunch of cars - because the chances of Tesla randomly figuring out that a car sold months ago was not in their database of EAP owners is small.
Agreed.

You know, I'm just waiting for the first post from someone who buys a Model 3 used, thinking it has AP or FSD, or is a performance "stealth" or an SR+, then finds the car downgraded long after the fact. The way Tesla is handling this, it could even happen with a trade-in. The used car dealer who ends up with it would have no clue the car wasn't what the screen and the Monroney says it is.

You know, I'm just waiting for the first post from someone who buys a Model 3 used, thinking it has AP or FSD, or is a performance "stealth" or an SR+, then finds the car downgraded long after the fact. The way Tesla is handling this, it could even happen with a trade-in. The used car dealer who ends up with it would have no clue the car wasn't what the screen and the Monroney says it is.

Yes, Tesla should really license the software - and give the "owner" a printout (yeah, a piece of paper) with the actual license, Vin number and name of original owner. At $7000 - that isn't really asking much. You get some "proof of purchase" buying software costing much less. It isn't even software anyway - but rather software that is in the car and you pay to activate it.

It is, after all, just a piece of paper, but a potentially valuable one at that. And yes, I'm surprised this hasn't caused problems on the used market thus far. Not many used Model 3's sold by private parties, but enough to make it confusing.

Reactions: Kuhz

I've had multiple GM vehicles that I got to demo OnStar, and then one day, POOF, it was gone. No more routing or phone calls without forking over some money.

I also had a Dodge that had XM radio active for over a year, and then one day, POOF, it was gone; only channel 1.

Reactions: gaswalla
Status
Not open for further replies.