Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP or not to EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question: I have a P100D on order. RHD. In fact it has already been built and believe it is in transit to the U.K. I turned down EAP first time it was mentioned - to be honest AP is not what I bought the car for (even though I did pay for the standard AP1) more I just want my family to be part of the revolution.

However the more I think about it I probably will use AP on the clogged motorways out of London, and with 3 small kids wanted to know if users in this forum think EAP is just a load safer or better and I'd be mad not to?

In all I have read about it I can't quite work out why EAP is so much better than AP1 - just taking exit ramps on motorways (no big deal)? I understand it is a prerequisite for full autonomy but that is a way off here in the U.K. I think and I'll pay for that when it comes.

Any way, grateful for any thoughts....

Thank you

I'm a lowly AP owner and not eligible for EAP with my hardware. However, I have described AP as cruise control on steroids and EAP as providing additional conveniences linked to navigation. I think it will be more than just taking exit ramps on motorways. If I had the option, I would definitely get it now, even though it may be a few months before it even does what AP does now.

On the other hand, I would wait to pay for full autonomous driving, since it will be years off before it's ready and probably even longer before regulations catch up.

I have AP. It seems to me that the big advantage of EAP is in its ability to see rapidly approaching cars in the passing lane and change lanes with more assurance that it's safe to go. EAP supposedly will decide on when to change lanes without user input. The other thing that would be huge for me is the improved Summon, where the car really should be able to park itself on private property. AP Summon is just straight forward (on a good day) and straight back.

I upgraded, I have a 60d on order. Really for me, the main reason though was that I was hedging my bets that one day they'll get to full autonomous driving, without going all in and spending the extra $3000 now. Personally I think $5000 total is a bit expensive for EAP when I don't at all mind driving locally, and for our needs most of our driving will be local... I'll definitely use it for longer trips which we only take like 2x/year, so at this rate over the next 12 years the use for each trip would be like $100 per trip! I'm sure I'll start using it a little bit more than that since I'll have it. But if full autonomous driving does become available with the current hardware, I'd upgrade to that for sure. Either way, I'm very happy to have gotten AP2 hardware squeezed in on a 60d so no complaints in supporting their efforts.

Reactions: wesley888