TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EAP post delivery update subject to NYS sales tax?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lido, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Lido

Lido New Member

Hello all,
    I Currently have a Model S 85D with AP1 and can not imagine going without it. I recently configured my wife's Model 3 and I would like to see if there is potential savings in waiting for the federal tax credit to pay for Enhanced Auto Pilot.

I will be either rolling the $5000 into the financed portion of my purchase at delivery and paying the additional associated tax on that option or waiting to update after.

Is there anyone in New York (Nassau County) who has done the update after delivery? I am curious if it is subject to local sales tax.

Thanks

2. Graffi

Graffi Member

Do not know NY, but in CA it most definitely WILL be taxed when you buy it, either at purchase of car or when you pay TESLA for it afterwards. The Tesla invoice will include the price of the EAP and sales tax. Hopes this helps.

3. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Sales Tax is applied to buying just about everything in New York. Why would you avoid it by buying EAP in the future?

4. PARNY

PARNY Member

Not sure about the M3 but buying EAP after delivery on the MS costs an additional $1K. If it is the same on the M3, waiting to add it later will cost you more than any potential sales tax savings. I live in Nassau County and I pay sales tax on everything I buy from Tesla, including the extended warranty, so I am pretty certain you will pay sales tax on the upgrade if done later.

5. Lido

Lido New Member

Since the upgrade was for software I thought it might be possible. Based on loan rates, the interest paid on an extra $5000 of principle would be between $300 and $390. The additional tax savings would have made waiting to upgrade more than worth it. You could also benefit from a credit card promotion for some free points since the upgrade is done with a card.

Thank you all for your input!

6. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

If you wait all those years before buying the upgrade.

The only way delay could ever pencil out is if the cost comes down, but that seems unlikely in the 3 year horizon.