Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Removed After Vehicle added to Tesla Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased my used 2017 Model S from a 3rd party dealer, having been advertised that autopilot was on it. Before the car was added to my Tesla account, saw that Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) was on it. After the car was added to my Tesla.com account, I noticed that it now only says “Autopilot”. I’ve seen others where this has happened. Since most likely the 3rd party dealer doesn’t have a receipt of autopilot purchase from original owner, I’m asking what steps I can take to get EAP back.

Luckily I took pictures of the main car screen with EAP activated (before car claimed on Tesla.com), and then regular Autopilot (after car was added to my Tesla.com account). Any assistance would be appreciated on getting EAP back, and thank you in advance.

Purchased my used 2017 Model S from a 3rd party dealer, having been advertised that autopilot was on it.

So they advertised it as having AP and you got AP, am I understanding that correctly? If so, it sounds like they knew that it wouldn't be keeping EAP. (You saw that the car showed EAP, but Vroom didn't advertise it.)

Luckily I took pictures of the main car screen with EAP activated (before car claimed on Tesla.com), and then regular Autopilot (after car was added to my Tesla.com account). Any assistance would be appreciated on getting EAP back, and thank you in advance.

Where did Vroom get the car from? If they bought it from Tesla, i.e. at auction, EAP was likely "removed" before the auction. (It is just that the car doesn't get updated to know that until the next owner registers it with Tesla, which Vroom doesn't do.) If Vroom bought it from a private party then EAP should have likely stayed. (But possibly not if the original owner hadn't paid for it but it had gotten activated on the car accidentally, which happened a number of times.) Did Vroom advertise that it had EAP, or did you just assume it based on what was reported on screen in the car?

I wish third party dealers would register the car with Tesla and/or Tesla would force those updates immediately to avoid these issues.

Purchased my used 2017 Model S from a 3rd party dealer, having been advertised that autopilot was on it. Before the car was added to my Tesla account, saw that Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) was on it. After the car was added to my Tesla.com account, I noticed that it now only says “Autopilot”. I’ve seen others where this has happened. Since most likely the 3rd party dealer doesn’t have a receipt of autopilot purchase from original owner, I’m asking what steps I can take to get EAP back.

If it was sold as an AP car then I think you need to conclude EAP was showing only because Tesla had not yet deactivated the EAP before sending it to auction and selling to Vroom. If the car went from Tesla to auction to Vroom, it doesn't really matter what software may have been purchased by previous owner(s).

It if was sold by Vroom as an EAP car (in writing) then you'd have a case to argue a refund from Vroom equal to the value of EAP.

Is there a way for me to find out what the original owner purchased? That way I can show that documentation to Tesla?

You could track them down and ask them. But what if the car had multiple prior owners? You would have no idea which one bought EAP, or if it was accidentally left enabled on the original purchase but not paid for. But it won't matter if Vroom bought the car from Tesla, as once Tesla takes ownership of the vehicle they can make any changes to it that they want to.

But it seems like you are avoiding the most important question: What did Vroom advertise the car had? If they advertised AP, then you got what you paid for.

You could track them down and ask them. But what if the car had multiple prior owners? You would have no idea which one bought EAP, or if it was accidentally left enabled on the original purchase but not paid for. But it won't matter if Vroom bought the car from Tesla, as once Tesla takes ownership of the vehicle they can make any changes to it that they want to.

But it seems like you are avoiding the most important question: What did Vroom advertise the car had? If they advertised AP, then you got what you paid for.
@MP3Mike, on the CarFax it only has one owner listed. Also, when Vroom advertised it, it said Autopilot. I don’t think Vroom distinguishes EAP vs AP on their website.

Guess the Tesla software control ability to remove software from used cars became a new revenue stream for them. Even after a used car is delivered by a dealer. I guess the car delivered “as-is” doesn’t apply to software in the car. Thanks everyone for your input, appreciate the insight.

Guess the Tesla software control ability to remove software from used cars became a new revenue stream for them. Even after a used car is delivered by a dealer. I guess the car delivered “as-is” doesn’t apply to software in the car. Thanks everyone for your input, appreciate the insight.

If you can get the original window sticker, that would help your cause a lot. Then you need to find out if the vehicle passed back through Tesla between the original owner selling and you buying.

If it did NOT pass through Tesla, then you should have everything shown on the window sticker (it all transfers to you). If it did pass through Tesla, then all bets are off for the software features as Tesla is confirmed to be removing features when the car goes through them during resale process.

FSD/EAP is only guaranteed to transfer when you buy from Tesla and they clearly state on the paperwork that FSD or EAP is included.
Or, when buying DIRECTLY from a private seller.

Anything other than those two scenarios? Set your expectations and Assume the EAP/FSD will get yanked in the near future after buying

If you buy from at third party dealer who acquired the car as a trade-in then it will also transfer through that. The only time software features are lost is when the car is owned by Tesla in between. If someone traded it in to Tesla and it is sold at auction then it will only come with base Autopilot.

If you buy from at third party dealer who acquired the car as a trade-in then it will also transfer through that. The only time software features are lost is when the car is owned by Tesla in between. If someone traded it in to Tesla and it is sold at auction then it will only come with base Autopilot.
there have been more than a few cases of this not happening. Meaning, months later, Tesla does an audit, and removes the feature as the buyer didnt pay for it/wasnt licensed for it.

If this were me and I were purchasing from a third party dealer who was advertising the car as having FSD? Id personally get written guarantee/confirmation from that selling dealer that the FSD was going to remain with me/the car as long as I own that car.

there have been more than a few cases of this not happening. Meaning, months later, Tesla does an audit, and removes the feature as the buyer didnt pay for it/wasnt licensed for it.

If this were me and I were purchasing from a third party dealer who was advertising the car as having FSD? Id personally get written guarantee/confirmation from that selling dealer that the FSD was going to remain with me/the car as long as I own that car.

I believe those cases were cases where the feature was enabled but wasn't supposed to be as it wasn't ever actually paid for.
That can happen even in a direct private party purchase.

Were there cases where the original owner paid for EAP/FSD, traded it to a third party dealer (without going through Tesla) and then when it was sold from that dealer to a new owner it lost EAP/FSD?

I believe those cases were cases where the feature was enabled but wasn't supposed to be as it wasn't ever actually paid for.
That can happen even in a direct private party purchase.

Were there cases where the original owner paid for EAP/FSD, traded it to a third party dealer (without going through Tesla) and then when it was sold from that dealer to a new owner it lost EAP/FSD?
I seemed to have read quite a few threads on it on here (and other forums). For ex:

Last edited:

I seemed to have read quite a few threads on it on here (and other forums). For ex:

I believe the consensus in those other threads where EAP/FSD is removed is that the third-party dealers in question are likely getting the cars via auction from Tesla. What @BPeter was asking about were instances where the car never passes through Tesla's hands on its way to a third-party dealer, and is instead a direct trade-in from an owner.

In that unique case, since the vehicle is never in the possession of Tesla, my impression/understanding is that no software features would be removed by Tesla. (But the whole thing is still very opaque, so I could be wrong about that.)

Just going to add my experience here as I just transferred my car I purchased from a 3rd party dealer into my Tesla account. For the transfer experience itself see: Trying to claim ownership on Tesla website, but keeps saying “unable to process, try again later”

Dealer had purchased vehicle from a private 3rd party and not from auction. Car had FSD included in package (showing on screen) and things like NOA was there and working, also had button to request FSD beta.
Dealer had called Tesla for some other information and also asked them about FSD. Tesla confirmed that FSD (or EAP, ...) is only removed if the car passes back through Tesla.
After transfer of the car into my account, which was pretty easy and fast (less then 10 minutes, see other post I linked above) the car kept FSD. The car definitely received a config update. Notifications on screen showed a config update was done and the car had rebooted. This was part of the transfer into my account.

The issue I can also see with some is when the car for example goes back to Tesla, sold on auction to a dealer, then transferred/sold to another dealer, and then sold to a private party.
I also think that what might happen is that it is only when the car is transferred then into an account it receives the config update. So in my example, if neither dealer added the car into their own Tesla account then the config update hasn't happened yet. Then when the car is finally transferred into someone's account the config update occurs resulting in FSD or so being lost as it had passed Tesla.

Best way to prevent this would be by making absolutely sure dealer bought car from 3rd party (and check Carfax or so to ensure person had the car in ownership for a while as they clearly would then have had it in their account). If dealer bought car on auction then make sure dealer has the car transferred into their own account since if my theory is correct the config update would have occurred and if it had passed back through Tesla the options would then be removed.
Otherwise, might be able to call Tesla as I would think they might be able to check based on VIN if the car had gone back through Tesla and if FSD or so would thus get removed or not.