Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Removed By Tesla. Carvana Never Listed EAP but I assumed it came with it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But even that doesn't guarantee that the original purchaser didn't have Tesla remove EAP before they purchased the vehicle.

Then you really have nobody to be mad at but yourself for not asking for the screen showing "Enhanced Autopilot, Included Package" to verify that the car had it at the time of sale. Going off of a 3rd party aggregate of data like EV-CPO isn't going to get you very far since they have zero affiliation with Tesla. It's a helpful tool but by no means is it the final word in anything. You need to verify all things for yourself or suffer the consequences of not doing your due diligence. People are far to reliant these days on entities they know little to nothing about.

This is the part where someone comes at me for being "evil" or "mean" but those are the facts and I'm not going to sugar coat it.
I'm not upset, maybe slightly disappointed. However, I would have purchased the vehicle regardless. But if it did have EAP originally and if I am entitled to have it on my vehicle, it's worth researching. Tried asking Carvana for more pictures before the purchase but they would not provide them.

Tesla is new to me and it's certainly been a learning experience. Things seem to work different for these vehicles in terms of features compared to any other brand I have owned. Will probably drive it for a year and if I still love the vehicle, will trade it in for a Plaid.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
You purchased the car as advertised from Carvana. Carvana didnt advertise it as having anything other than basic AP.

Am I missing something where Tesla or Carvana are supposed to be liable for something in this scenario to the buyer?
Not missing anything at all, you are correct in general. Car was not purchased based on it having EAP, I would have moved forward regardless. I was hoping EAP would remain with the vehicle since I had solid information that originally it had EAP. Tried to get more information from Carvana but I was not able to.

I have to agree that you're just asking for negative comments with this thread. You bought it from Carvana, they didn't advertise EAP as an option. You're disappointed that the car you bought doesn't have an option that wasn't advertised. I guess Elvis and Tupac are still alive as well since the National Enquirer wrote it.

I have to agree that you're just asking for negative comments with this thread. You bought it from Carvana, they didn't advertise EAP as an option. You're disappointed that the car you bought doesn't have an option that wasn't advertised. I guess Elvis and Tupac are still alive as well since the National Enquirer wrote it.
I'm amazed how many people are willing to defend such a bullshitty and frankly unethical practice from Tesla.

It should be a reasonable assumption that a used car's equipment levels at the time you inspect and buy it should remain in place once you've signed the contract and driven off. A previous owner reaching in and changing the software configuration AFTER a subsequent sale should be just as illegal as them coming to your driveway to take back a set of wheels. There is no excuse for this behavior. I'd be interested in seeing someone take Tesla to small claims court over this. I think you'd win.

It should be a reasonable assumption that a used car's equipment levels at the time you inspect and buy it should remain in place once you've signed the contract and driven off. A previous owner reaching in and changing the software configuration AFTER a subsequent sale should be just as illegal as them coming to your driveway to take back a set of wheels. There is no excuse for this behavior. I'd be interested in seeing someone take Tesla to small claims court over this. I think you'd win.
But that isn't what this thread is about. The purchaser never saw the car with EAP enabled unless I missed something. (They saw that a third-party site had scraped data from Tesla's site, sometime in the past, that showed that it was offered for sale with EAP.)

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi and ucmndd
But that isn't what this thread is about. The purchaser never saw the car with EAP enabled unless I missed something. (They saw that a third-party site had scraped data from Tesla's site, sometime in the past, that showed that it was offered for sale with EAP.)
Yeah, I missed that detail and agree with your analysis after re-reading the first post. If OP never had possession of the car with EAP then I drop my argument and objection.

I purchased a used Model S from Carvana. I know that my car originally had EAP because I have a printout from ev-cpo showing that option came with the car when new. When I contacted Tesla through chat, they first stated that the car never had it. Once I stated that I have a printout showing that the car came with it originally, they stated that the car went through Tesla before Carvana and the feature was removed. A little suspicious that they changed their story midway through the conversation.

According to the CarFax, it was a one owner car and following the history and mileage of the vehicle, it does not show that Tesla ever had possession of the vehicle. How can I get proof that Tesla had the vehicle it its possession between the last owner and Carvana? Do I take their word for it or can I ask them to show me documentation that they had possession? Does Carvana have a deal with Tesla to sell cars from their inventory?

It's entirely possible that they are being truthful but I would feel much better knowing that what they are stating is indeed factual. I am prepared for that possibility. Any advise would help.
How long after you took possession did you notice EAP was missing/taken? I bought a Model 3 LR AWD w/EAP from Carvana and had it until I traded it in last month. However, I traded it in to Vroom for a Model Y w/FSD and it's been on the car for more than a month now. Needless to say, I check my Account and App each day to ensure that it's still there, but how long did it take for EAP to go missing for you?

• Funny
I'm amazed how many people are willing to defend such a bullshitty and frankly unethical practice from Tesla.

The two can exist simultaneously. I can have the stance I posted earlier (OP shoulda done more research before buying) and ALSO agree that what Tesla is doing (stripping cars of options that were PAID for already) is abhorrent and they deserve everything coming to them someday for arrogantly deciding it's an acceptable practice.

Like they OP said, they woulda bought the car anyway so... seems like a non-issue here. You bought the car you bought and now you own it. For me, I won't buy a car before I'm able to determine in no uncertain terms what the vehicle includes. This goes for any vehicle for that matter. Others don't. That latter group is what Tesla is banking on when doing such things.

Not once am I defending Tesla for this through my post. Yet it doesn't absolve the OP from doing their due diligence though because a 3rd party aggregate of only cars.

This also introduces something interesting: The car wouldn't have any information to display if you do a VIN search using EV-CPO unless it had been taken in on trade and sold through their used/CPO program at some point. It says as much right on the 3rd party website we're talking about.

Not to mention most of these online car sales platforms offer a return period too.

Then you really have nobody to be mad at but yourself for not asking for the screen showing "Enhanced Autopilot, Included Package" to verify that the car had it at the time of sale.

I've already talked in other forum posts about how I feel about Tesla doing this.

I recently purchased a car from Carvana and they give you A LOT of time on delivery to look over the car, test drive it, check it out, before signing anything. In addition, you get seven days after signing to decide whether you want to keep the car and can return it prior to the seven day mark with no questions asked (and they won't even ban you from buying another car from them :) )

If the OP really wanted, they could have refused delivery and even if they missed checking AP vs EAP during the delivery inspection, they could have returned the car if so inclined.

To the OP: congrats on your purchase and don't let this stop you from enjoying your car.