Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Return to US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is very little value in the EAP for someone who already has Basic AP

This was my initial reaction, but I am here to say I was wrong.

I subscribed to FSD to try the EAP features on a road trip this weekend, and it was a pleasure.

Car navigated stop and go traffic for me on DC beltway and I was able to relax and enjoy it. Later, found NOA to be useful even with traffic moving. And when NOA was not available on smaller roads, I loved that auto lane change allowed me to stay in AP/AutoSteer. After a couple of hours, I eventually I got to unmarked local roads where AP was not available, and I was bummed that I “had to drive now”.

I’m sold! Will pay for EAP for sure.

Was it perfect? No. There was one point where NOA really wanted to change lanes and every time I cancelled it, it immediately asks again. (Turns out I think it was trying to get to HOV lane.) But the trip overall was way nicer than with vanilla AP, and I won’t go back.

Last edited:
Too rich for my blood. I'd fork over 2K for it and would consider going to 3K with the green light chime aded in. To me, everything but the automatic lane change is pretty useless and no way I'm shelling out over 6K for that one feature.

Tim

2022.20 is rumored to have the Green Light chime integrated into standard AP (notateslaapp). I'm stoked, but still not paying 6K for auto lane changes.

Tim

plus Ford's BlueCruise is comparable to SuperCruise and the Mach E / F150 Lightning will get it... but yeah... FSD Beta at $12k is a steal... won't even let you legally drive handsfree.
That was my question. Is NoA, FSD, FSD-B truly hands free? That's the one thing that would get me to buy it. I don't care if it dings for green lights or whatever, I just don't want to be bothered with driving.

Noticed the $12,000 FSD package with the new release of the Enhanced Auto-pilot for $6000.
Looks like Tesla needed to generate some more capital for those four factories that are burning cash, so as Elon put it, they don't got bankrupt.

I'd say that's a pretty expensive stop sign/stop light package now unless you consider future releases worth $6000. "I'd gladly pay you today for a hamburger on Tuesday."

I have always advised buyers to stay away from Elon's FSD pipe dream package and will continue to do so. It is what it is when it is and not before.

I'd gladly pay $1000 for mirror blind spot warnings though. A package that causes you to look down and to the right to the screen when changing lanes to the left is truly a safety HAZARD. After almost getting clipped twice I now just revert to the old turn around and look method. NHTSA needs to require side mirror blind spot lights in all vehicles. It must cost all of $30. Perhaps the savings of not including a charging cable could contribute?

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed the $12,000 FSD package with the new release of the Enhanced Auto-pilot for $6000.
Looks like Tesla needed to generate some more capital for those four factories that are burning cash, so as Elon put it, they don't got bankrupt.

I'd say that's a pretty expensive stop sign/stop light package now unless you consider future releases worth $6000. "I'd gladly pay you today for a hamburger on Tuesday."

I have always advised buyers to stay away from Elon's FSD pipe dream package and will continue to do so. It is what it is when it is and not before.

I'd gladly pay $1000 for mirror blind spot warnings though. A package that causes you to look down and to the right to the screen when changing lanes to the left is truly a safety HAZARD. After almost getting clipped twice I now just revert to the old turn around and look method. NHTSA needs to require side mirror blind spot lights in all vehicles. It must cost all of $30. Perhaps the savings of not including a charging cable could contribute?
Shifting your eyes 2 degrees to the right doesn’t seem all that dangerous to me. It’s not like your reading a magazine or something. Just an fyi, you really don’t have to turn around in your chair. You could simply look at the shiny mirrors they put on both sides granted those you have to Also shift your eyes just like cars have used for 50 years. Lol

Shifting your eyes 2 degrees to the right doesn’t seem all that dangerous to me. It’s not like your reading a magazine or something. Just an fyi, you really don’t have to turn around in your chair. You could simply look at the shiny mirrors they put on both sides granted those you have to Also shift your eyes just like cars have used for 50 years. Lol
Mirrors don't cover blind spots and I really don't like the idea of getting a tacky stick-on mirror on a Tesla, but I guess that will be the only alternative and I can name it the Musk Mirror. I've had two near misses while looking at the center display, because the view doesn't come on until you signal, and then having to figure out which cars are which. Forget it, I'll just keep turning around or use my Musk mirror until NHTSA mandates the mirror blind spot indicator.

Even Hyundai Ionic 5 has the blind spot indicator on the mirror AND a camera turn indicator (directly in front of you).
Safety comes in multiples and redundancy.
C'mon Elon, you can do it. I know for you, it's all about autonomous cars, but we don't won't to destroy our cars while waiting and waiting and waiting.

BTW, Eyes right to center of car from straight is more like 45 degrees from my geometry class. And they need to go down as well.
Reaction time is far better when looking at the object coming at you, than to be looking away from it (from physics class).

Mirrors don't cover blind spots and I really don't like the idea of getting a tacky stick-on mirror on a Tesla, but I guess that will be the only alternative and I can name it the Musk Mirror. I've had two near misses while looking at the center display, because the view doesn't come on until you signal, and then having to figure out which cars are which. Forget it, I'll just keep turning around or use my Musk mirror until NHTSA mandates the mirror blind spot indicator.

Even Hyundai Ionic 5 has the blind spot indicator on the mirror AND a camera turn indicator (directly in front of you).
C'mon Elon, you can do it. I know for you, it's all about autonomous cars, but we don't won't to destroy our cars while waiting and waiting and waiting.

BTW, Eyes right to center of car from straight is more like 45 degrees from my geometry class. And they need to go down as well.
Reaction time is far better when looking at the object coming at you, than to be looking away from it (from physics class).
It is possible to adjust the side mirrors so that there is no blind spot. That is exactly what I do and it works just fine.

Reactions: Supcom and Yelobird

Sorry just seems like you wish to complain for the sake of complaining. You won’t have any near misses if you Signal before you merge kind of the point of signaling. And last I checked the turn image is 1“ right of my steering wheel so moving my eyes a few degrees vs 3 foot to the right to view the mirror seems fairly simple. Seems like your best option is to buy that Hyundai and you will be fully happy.

Thanks for the mirror adjustment info. It's excellent and that is the purpose of this forum. To share and improve. So glad I brought it up and so many will benefit from what you shared Dewg. I will be passing it on to many others. It's not about complaining, it's just aimed at making our vehicles safer, as most other manufacturers already have. Not sure what's the rub about having a safer vehicle, without having to make multiple accommodations for sub-standard engineering. Many years ago, we kept hounding Tesla about having more cup holders and coat hangers (the 2014 didn't have them - functionalism trumps minimalism) and look at the benefits you are enjoying today. Tesla engineers read this forum. That wasn't for the sake of complaining.

The other benefit to mirror blind spot indicators is that the driver of the vehicle passing you can also see that you "know that he is passing you", which also affords safety reassurance. If you have ever worked in or around aircraft, you know that safety redundancy is engineered into every cockpit and airframe design. (I taught a class once at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University on Human Interactions in the Cockpit - Dyads and Triads at 30,000 feet).

BTW, unlike many drivers, I ALWAYS signal before I turn (say left lane change), and do it slowly and deliberately, but it is just counterintuitive to me to turn my head or eyes to the RIGHT to differentiate traffic in three camera screens, when I am making a LEFT lane change. I may be the only one who finds that odd.

PS: for anyone considering the Ioniq 5, I have a Model Y - Ioniq 5 comparison elsewhere on the blog. I bought one for comparison and sold it after about a month for what I paid (retaining the tax credit). The mirrors and blind spot cameras are excellent and the Ioniq 5 has quite a number of features alien to the Tesla (HUD, footrest, Bose with subwoofer, 110 plug-in under the seat and at the charge receptacle, retractable glass roof curtain that meets in the middle, four levels of regenerative braking and three "gears" (economy, normal, sport), and free supercharging for two years, all for $20,000 less plus $7500 tax credit. Great styling was a bonus. Competition is good for everyone. It raises all boats.

The primary reason I sold the vehicle was that it was unsafe to drive (for me) because of it's unreliable driver-assist steering. Not for everyone, but for me.
Because I have owned Tesla's since 2014, I have developed body and brain memory that is adapted to autopilot. My body and brain would not adjust to the Ioniq 5. I found myself depending on the Ionic 5 steering feature, when in actuality, it was grossly undependable, clipping a few road edges and almost taking out some mailboxes. Again, safety.

Fortunately, as directed, I always drive with my hands on the wheel and I was able to self-correct, before taking out the neighbor's garbage cans. It might be a good vehicle for someone who has never driven with autopilot, but not for me. An ID-4 owner down the street confirmed that his steering assist was basically useless and best kept in the off position. I have come to appreciate autopilot even more. My 2014 had the first autopilot designed by the Israeli firm Mobile-Eye and even it is/was better than any other vehicle I have driven with steering assist. I have just driven a 2014 "tweener" Tesla while waiting for my MYP, just recently delivered, and really didn't notice any difference from the modern autopilot.
We are blessed to have autopilot with continuous improvements.

Of course, having to play with a key-FOB on the Ionic 5, and manually push a button to turn on/off the vehicle was also actually more irritating than I had imagined, but it probably wouldn't be a deciding factor. I was constantly walking away forgetting to turn off the car. Again, old habits die hard.

For someone who has not already bio-adjusted to autopilot and is coming from an ICE vehicle, the Ioniq 5 might be a good choice.
Let that be a lesson to ya, Tesla owners. Addicted to Tesla. There is no going back! (Even for $27,500 savings).

Hopefully, shares on this forum are informative. They are not intended to be irritating.

Reactions: Big Dog and Dewg
Got to test out auto lane change for the first time on a Model S loaner. It worked great and I really wish I had this feature with my Model Y.

For some reason it really bothers me that I have to reengage AP every time I change lanes. I would definitely pay extra for this feature but there is no way I am paying $6,000 for it.

Ultimately I believe this should come standard with AP or at the very least, AP should automatically reengage after switching lanes. I am fine switching lanes manual I just hate having to engage AP constantly when traveling on the highway.

Reactions: DrGriz
Thanks for the mirror adjustment info. It's excellent and that is the purpose of this forum. To share and improve. So glad I brought it up and so many will benefit from what you shared Dewg. I will be passing it on to many others. It's not about complaining, it's just aimed at making our vehicles safer, as most other manufacturers already have. Not sure what's the rub about having a safer vehicle, without having to make multiple accommodations for sub-standard engineering. Many years ago, we kept hounding Tesla about having more cup holders and coat hangers (the 2014 didn't have them - functionalism trumps minimalism) and look at the benefits you are enjoying today. Tesla engineers read this forum. That wasn't for the sake of complaining.

The other benefit to mirror blind spot indicators is that the driver of the vehicle passing you can also see that you "know that he is passing you", which also affords safety reassurance. If you have ever worked in or around aircraft, you know that safety redundancy is engineered into every cockpit and airframe design. (I taught a class once at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University on Human Interactions in the Cockpit - Dyads and Triads at 30,000 feet).

BTW, unlike many drivers, I ALWAYS signal before I turn (say left lane change), and do it slowly and deliberately, but it is just counterintuitive to me to turn my head or eyes to the RIGHT to differentiate traffic in three camera screens, when I am making a LEFT lane change. I may be the only one who finds that odd.

PS: for anyone considering the Ioniq 5, I have a Model Y - Ioniq 5 comparison elsewhere on the blog. I bought one for comparison and sold it after about a month for what I paid (retaining the tax credit). The mirrors and blind spot cameras are excellent and the Ioniq 5 has quite a number of features alien to the Tesla (HUD, footrest, Bose with subwoofer, 110 plug-in under the seat and at the charge receptacle, retractable glass roof curtain that meets in the middle, four levels of regenerative braking and three "gears" (economy, normal, sport), and free supercharging for two years, all for $20,000 less plus $7500 tax credit. Great styling was a bonus. Competition is good for everyone. It raises all boats.

The primary reason I sold the vehicle was that it was unsafe to drive (for me) because of it's unreliable driver-assist steering. Not for everyone, but for me.
Because I have owned Tesla's since 2014, I have developed body and brain memory that is adapted to autopilot. My body and brain would not adjust to the Ioniq 5. I found myself depending on the Ionic 5 steering feature, when in actuality, it was grossly undependable, clipping a few road edges and almost taking out some mailboxes. Again, safety.

Fortunately, as directed, I always drive with my hands on the wheel and I was able to self-correct, before taking out the neighbor's garbage cans. It might be a good vehicle for someone who has never driven with autopilot, but not for me. An ID-4 owner down the street confirmed that his steering assist was basically useless and best kept in the off position. I have come to appreciate autopilot even more. My 2014 had the first autopilot designed by the Israeli firm Mobile-Eye and even it is/was better than any other vehicle I have driven with steering assist. I have just driven a 2014 "tweener" Tesla while waiting for my MYP, just recently delivered, and really didn't notice any difference from the modern autopilot.
We are blessed to have autopilot with continuous improvements.

Of course, having to play with a key-FOB on the Ionic 5, and manually push a button to turn on/off the vehicle was also actually more irritating than I had imagined, but it probably wouldn't be a deciding factor. I was constantly walking away forgetting to turn off the car. Again, old habits die hard.

For someone who has not already bio-adjusted to autopilot and is coming from an ICE vehicle, the Ioniq 5 might be a good choice.
Let that be a lesson to ya, Tesla owners. Addicted to Tesla. There is no going back! (Even for $27,500 savings).

Hopefully, shares on this forum are informative. They are not intended to be irritating.
fwiw: I am all-in for properly adjusted mirrors, adn have previously posted directions to eliminate blind spots. But a couple of times, a tall guy has responded that with the seat all the way back (long legs), the mirrors did not have enough range to cover his blind spots. (My point is that the directions don't work for everyone.)

"... it is just counterintuitive to me to turn my head or eyes to the RIGHT to differentiate traffic in three camera screens..." Agree 100%. What's really counter-intuitive to me is looking at teh screens to begin with. I'd much rather my eyes scanned teh road, then looking down to see what the computer sees -- or doesn't see. My daughter's Audi A3 has blind spot indicators on her outside mirrors and they are fantastic. If I recall, they only came with the upgraded trim. No reason Tesla could not add them to the Premium Package.

Reactions: Fairchild