Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP should provide a buffer when driving next to trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish EAP would not force centering on the lane when there is an 18 wheel truck encroaching in your lane and there are no cars in the opposite lane. This happens often on road curves and your in the trucks blind spot so your not sure they even see you. Then you need to fight the wheel to take back control while your going 70 mph a foot way from a huge truck.

EAP should determine this situation and:
1. Provide a buffer, shifting a little away.. as a human would do.
2. Speed up or slow down to get out of the trucks blind spot.
3. Suggest a lane change
4. Other suggestions ?

51544710_10155693076266230_1011860119882825728_n.jpg

Tweet to Elon if you agree

Last edited:
Yeah, this scares the crap out of my wife (since she's usually the one next to the semi). The car insists on centering in the lane even though it can "see" the huge truck there. Not that I'm holding my breath for a fix. The stupid thing insists on "centering" itself during on and off ramps and swerves back and forth in the lane when doing it. It's nauseating.

Yeah, this scares the crap out of my wife (since she's usually the one next to the semi). The car insists on centering in the lane even though it can "see" the huge truck there. Not that I'm holding my breath for a fix. The stupid thing insists on "centering" itself during on and off ramps and swerves back and forth in the lane when doing it. It's nauseating.

This should not be that hard to improve using the existing hardware sensors/cameras. Yo Elon !

The side collision avoidance system will move your car out of the center of the lane if it detects an encroaching vehicle. Otherwise, you're safe in the center.

My problem with the side collision avoidance is it must be set to waaaaay closer than I am comfortable with before triggering. I have had trucks come over the line on the freeway while I am next to them on AP and side collision did not engage. So I usually chicken out first and disengage to move over.

I would like to be able to adjust the center like the following distance.

Yes I know what I am about to say is not how EAP should be used. When in a construction zone with cones in the center and plenty of shoulder room it still wants to be in center and really close to the cones. They same goes on non-divided two lane roads with oncoming traffic. Of the 4,000+ miles I have driven with EAP 99% of my disengagements were because of these two.

In the meantime, I've just gotten used to tapping up on the right stalk to disengage EAP for the few seconds it takes for this situation to resolve itself (semi no longer next to me), then I re-engage EAP. No jerking of wheel necessary. I do it so much these days that it's become second-nature. The ease by which EAP can be engaged and disengaged and re-engaged is an asset and should be utilized.

I'm happy that it stays in the middle, that is by far the safer place to be. I really hate it when someone steers clear of a truck, into my lane.
And as Derek indicates, if the truck encroaches, the car will move over.

What I'm hoping for is that the trucks start to get the lane keeping abilities.

In a slightly different, but the exact same thing story. I worked aircraft Search and Rescue for many years. In the Smoky Mountains, the Air Force has some low level terrain avoidance practice zones. Basically, the pilots would program into their autopilots and then let the planes fly the routes, stay a few hundred feet above the ground. The autopilots worked well.

Then there were the pilots who chickened out and took over the plane.

They were the ones that we had to search for, as they ended up plowing into a mountain.

Reactions: Dre78 and outdoors
The middle might be safer if we could be 100% certain that the side collision will work and/or the truck wont continue to drift into our lane. The problem is you cant be certain, so many ( most? ) will disengage or fight the wheel to instinctively give the truck more space.
So to your point about trusting autopilot.. If it was improved I would trust it more and not disengage. Right now it forces me and many others to appropriately "chicken out". It must be statistically safer to drive 4 feet from a truck vs 1 foot and in its blind spot.

I am not advocating swerving into the opposite lane. But if there is no car there.. then EAP giving the truck that is riding the line more clearance will make us safer. If there is a car in the opposite lane then EAP could speedup or slow down to get out of the trucks blind spot.

I don't trust AP to notice random road debris.

I'm reasonably confident in it noticing an 18-wheeler drifting into my lane though.

And I have had side collision kick in and move me away from such a thing once (first week of ownership no less).