Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP subscription?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla rolled out the FSD subscription for $200 it was awesome. I (like many else) immediately subscribed to try out the enhanced features. I had no intention of getting into the FSD city streets beta, I just was excited to try out all the other features: Navigate on AP, Summon, Autopark, and have the stop light chime/stop sign control.

I canceled it within 30 days so as not be billed another $200. I had my taste. Cool.

Now that Tesla is offering EAP for $6,000 and with 2022.20 going to be including stop light chime is there any chance that they will be offering the EAP package as a $100 subscription ($12,000/$200 for FSD, $6,000/$100 for EAP)? This would make sense as when the FSD subscription first started, those already with EAP could subscribe for only $100. Those with plain ‘ol AP should be able to upgrade to EAP for $100/month.

Anyone know if Tesla has any plans to do this? I would keep a $100/month subscription for EAP.. but not $200 for FSD. Seems like a no brainer business decision and would be an easy way to increase revenue.

Not offering the $6,000 EAP upgrade as a $100/month subscription is like Tesla leaving free money on the table.

No one knows, but in the past EAP has been reintroduced on a temporary basis, so if that’s Tesla’s intention this time, I wouldn’t expect to see a subscription.
Yea, I think Tesla sees EAP as more of a ½ way "gateway drug" to purchasing FSD as FSD improves. Since you can already "experiment" with the features by the FSD subscription there is no need for it. Also Tesla would probably lose revenue since almost no one would subscribe to FSD since EAP was ½ the price.

Yea, I think Tesla sees EAP as more of a ½ way "gateway drug" to purchasing FSD as FSD improves. Since you can already "experiment" with the features by the FSD subscription there is no need for it. Also Tesla would probably lose revenue since almost no one would subscribe to FSD since EAP was ½ the price.
Fair point. I would argue that Tesla is already loosing money by selling a “future feature” that doesn’t work as advertised today for $12,000. This is why less than 10% of new Tesla are sold with the FSD option. Model 3 and Y owners have a hard time justifying an extra $12,000. Model S and X owners can swing an extra 10% but even they aren’t buying it.

I think the high volume of $100/month EAP customers would more than make up for the lack of full purchased FSD as well as $200/month customers. This would of course quickly change if they opened up Beta to 100% of the cars in the $12,000 and $200/month pools.

I just wish Tesla would sell each feature individually and one could buy what they want and leave off the unwanted features. I would pay a $1000 one time fee to have Summon, and an additional $1000 to have nav on AP etc…
As I mentioned earlier, money on the table.

I think the numbers being thrown around are painting the wrong picture. Tesla is doing fine with FSD sales. When people see small numbers like 10% and 7% take rates, they think Tesla is losing money. Let's put it in perspective. Tesla sold about 950,000 cars last year (2021). If FSD was sold to 10% of buyers, that's $1.14 Billion (with a B). If it was only 7%, that's $798 Million (with an M). What we don't know is how many are subscribing monthly, which just adds to those numbers. We also don't know how much the FSD program is costing Tesla in engineering, infrastructure, salaries, etc. So revenue is nice, and I'm guessing profit is pretty good too.

With global supply shortages, which are hitting EVERY car company - don't think it's just Tesla struggling - and factory shutdowns in China costing money, the re-release of EAP may be a good stop-gap to transfer revenue into other departments in an effort to shore them up. The shortages are also raising the price of all cars on the market, with some manufacturers halting production of certain models in favor of high-margined vehicles.

I'd love to have the lane-change ability of Enhanced Autopilot. That's a safety feature that would be nice to have on EVERY Tesla really

I hit the FSD subscription again, but haven't a little parking a assist, some goofy fun with Summon, and sloppy teenage driving decisions (that are fun to critique and test) - are just not worth the money that's being asked so far

I think I may do the $100/mo for EAP tho, hopefully that'll be something available at some point (probably when FSD proper is more mature)

Reactions: RNHurt
It makes no sense to buy it after you start the lease, but I think it would make sense to include it in the lease. (Likely cheaper than the subscription.
Subscription would be cheaper considering lease is 3 years. That’s $7200 FSD @ $200/mo or half that for EAP if there’s $100/mo sub for that, which I feel like I seen on youtube or screenshot of upgrades somewhere.

Subscription would be cheaper considering lease is 3 years. That’s $7200 FSD @ $200/mo or half that for EAP if there’s $100/mo sub for that, which I feel like I seen on youtube or screenshot of upgrades somewhere.

No it wouldn't. For example on a Model Y the lease goes from $817/month with basic AP to $899/month with EAP, or $982/month with FSD.

So over the 3 year lease EAP would cost $2,952 ($82/month), while FSD would cost $5,940 ($165/month).

Subscribing to FSD would cost about $1,200 more over the course of the lease.

Reactions: RNHurt and parrainx