TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EAP suddenly forced me to take control and "disappeared" for a while?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 10, 2019.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Anyone else experienced this? Yesterday while driving home on the freeway AP urgently told me to take over and said AP wasn't available. All the AP icons were gone. No suggested speed limit icon, no steering wheel icon, no surrounding cars. A very empty (except my car) left display panel. It stayed like this for around a minute or so. I decided to reboot the MCU. Right before the screen went black, the icons started to appear, but the reboot was already started. Once rebooted AP enabled just fine. Then about 5 to 10 minutes later, while no longer using AP, I noticed that the display went blank again where only my car was visible. I double checked the clearly marked lane lines and multiple vehicles of traffic surrounding me and nothing showed up on the left panel. Strange. My best guess is that I was likely witnessing was the AP computer rebooting which was why I lost AP and why nothing was being displayed? I have never seen this before and I am on 2019.12.1.2.

• Informative x 1
  2. frankusb

frankusb Member

Same thing happened to me right after I got 12.1.2.

• Informative x 1
  3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Been hearing reports of this in the new update. AP computer reboots while driving.

• Informative x 1
  4. EOppie

EOppie Member

Interesting, thanks @insaneoctane for referring me to the thread.

We currently have no autopilot, no cruise, and automatic headlights are stuck on.

Tried rebooting via the school wheel brake maneuver and also did a power off on the car, wait 2 minutes, and power back on.

Still same symptoms. I called support, they said all sensors appear to be fine, and escalated it to their diagnostics team. Came back on the line to let me know it is being reported by others as an isolated issue and they are working on a fix. They also mentioned I should expect a call back within a few days.

Doubt much will happen over the weekend, hopefully they can get this fixed, or at least figure out what's causing it.

5. RSL2020

RSL2020 Member

Today I got the cruise control unavailable message for the first time. Neither Autopilot or standard cruise would activate.

6. afadeev

afadeev Member

BTDT.
    But far more often than AP going "unavailable" or quitting on me, it just fails to function properly and steers me into a median divider, or a tree on top of a hill (can't see the road beyond the crest).

AP is nice, but not bullet-proof.
    Need to pay full attention when driving on previously un-tested roads!!!

a

7. bedoig

bedoig Member

I just had two instances of RHOD (red hands of death, as I'm calling it) on a 40 minute drive today. Red hands, take over immediately, all speed and lane keeping stopped completely. Strangely, it wasn't a reboot of the AP computer like I've seen once or twice before. Lanes, cars, speed, and AP availability were all still showing immediately following the incident. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the map, maybe it was just a GPS freakout or something and it thought I was off the road (divided highway).

8. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Yep I think I've only seen this happen on 12.1.2.

9. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Ok I made a thread about this and thus far your post is the 5th one I’ve read. Hopefully they fix this soon!

• Like x 1
  10. Dante

Dante Member

Same behaviour seen here too. Has happened twice. First time the car view went away and didn’t come back despite trying a restart AND parking the car for a quick errand and going back to drive it. Next morning things were back to normal but happened again in the afternoon. That time it slowly started showing cars and road markings a few min later. Comforting that I’m not alone.

11. 299792458

299792458 Member

Had this happen on Thursday (2019.12.1.2). All lane markings, speed limit signs, and adjacent object indicators were gone for a few minutes. As if the AP NN system had a reboot.

12. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Seems to be a 12.1.2 issue. I had it 3 or 4 times now, usually when I need it most in the middle of annoying stop/go traffic.
    Reported it to customer service and got the standard "try rebooting" :)

13. EOppie

EOppie Member

Well, it's been over 24 hours for me. Nothing has come back. I made an appointment at the service center.

14. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

wow - on my car each time it has started with the Cruise not available message and all AP stuff vanishing, then 10 minutes later it all wakes up again.
    Most annoying having to drive again :rolleyes:

15. EOppie

EOppie Member

For me, I don't think all the safety features are working. For example, there is a curve I fo around every morning and a neighbor parks there car on the Apex of this corner. Every time it triggers an early warning collision alert.

Nothing since this started happening.

16. Dante

Dante Member

I had an unrelated appointment at service yesterday. Asked them about this (have had it happen about 3-4 times in the last few days). They looked through the logs and couldn't find anything. Suggested taking an exact time of the occurrence so they can figure out what happened exactly. Will try if it happens again... has been a few days incident free though.

17. rdunniii

rdunniii Member

Happened to me all the time. It's why I sit using it. I used to all it autoawake because if you weren't awake and paying attention you would be after a few minute of auto steer.

18. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

I had this problem on my drive to work today. No speed limits, cars, auto-steer, or TACC, and the headlights were stuck on for about twenty minutes. If it comes up when I'm driving later I'll try calling support to see if they can look for anything. For a reboot to fix this it may need to be via the UI power off option, or whatever it's called, to restart the whole car, not just restarting the MCU by holding down both scrollwheels.

19. nickID

nickID Member

Mine has been doing this once per day since the 12.1.2 update. All functionality has returned to normal each time after about 5 minutes.

20. ent3ndu

ent3ndu Member

I had the same thing happen on 2019.8.x. After maybe a minute everything came back. AP computer reboot?