Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP to FSD - bite the bullet now or risk it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we might be close ... Real Close ... when ALL cars have FSD that are programmed exactly alike - thus likely meaning ALL would have to be from the same maker...hmmm, so once that one first maker gets there, what does that portend for the rest of the makers?

Just got email and checked App, Upgrade FSD for $3,000 ... got EAP, just got new wheels and tires so my pocket's not really happy and now FSD at $3k is very very tempting.. FOMO at highest.

We all agree FSD was a terrible name, we won't have it sorted out in 10 years due to more complexity added for local driving. But HW3 might enhance AP graphical processing power, just not sure by how much to justify $3,000 .... maybe because is 20x better than Nvidia at 3x price only? haha

Might be worth it to keep updated hardware for EAP owners... that's all. At $3k is tempting. if budget allows... whatever that mean nowadays.

I think they're getting very little adoption from people from EAP moving into FSD, so this is another desperation attempt to collect more $ before the end of the quarter.

FSD still seems like quite a pipedream given the limitations. EAP still even has issues at times, we're nowhere close to actual FSD.

Reactions: MattUNI
Had it on my previous 3, never used it. Won’t get it on my current car. Autopilot is fine for me, and with current software I can see all the cones and garbage cans. Spent my money on Acceleration Boost. That’s for real right now!

Reactions: toolman335
Yeah I saw the same discount, first in the app then via email. Still not biting b/c I think true FSD is 5+ years away and at the rate I’m putting miles on my car I doubt I’ll own this in 5 years. Once Tesla has something close to true FSD to show me in a production vehicle, then I’ll consider it. And yes by then the upgrade might be $5k or more and purchase price on new vehicles might be $10k or more. But I’m more likely to spend $10k on something real and tangible than spend $3k now on something I hope will be real one day. That’s just me, to each his own.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yeah I saw the same discount, first in the app then via email. Still not biting b/c I think true FSD is 5+ years away and at the rate I’m putting miles on my car I doubt I’ll own this in 5 years. Once Tesla has something close to true FSD to show me in a production vehicle, then I’ll consider it. And yes by then the upgrade might be $5k or more and purchase price on new vehicles might be $10k or more. But I’m more likely to spend $10k on something real and tangible than spend $3k now on something I hope will be real one day. That’s just me, to each his own.

Totally agree. I think within 2 years we're going to feel like we have an outdated car. FSD is basically telling Elon that you didn't pay enough for your car and that you want to contribute to his stock price.

I upgraded from HW2 to HW3 (I already had FSD). The extra visualizations were cool... for a day. Then it's mostly meh. The car cant react to traffic lights or stop signs yet without intervention, so all the upgraded hardware did not help anything in terms of useable features. I got my car pre-owned with FSD, but if I was to buy again I would probably go with AP. If you have EAP, save your money for now. Who knows when there will be anything substantial

Reactions: GTIceman
Agree. I didn’t buy FSD on my new 3 and don’t plan to. Acceleration boost is real and money much better spent.

Reactions: toolman335
I've got EAP with 2.5HW and still get the visualizations. Almost bit during last year's fire sale upgrade for $2k, but did not, so no way I'm paying $3k. Rather purchase more TSLA stock.

Well we don't get all visualizations. We don't get the traffic lights or stop signs or crosswalks as far as I've seen. Just everything is a cone.

I tend to agree on the stock. Though I want a dip.

I kind of want the updated computer, I don't care about the actual FSD. I bet we will see the branch happen sooner rather than later and less visualization on computers older than HW3.
This is where I'm at. I know the feature bump from EAP to FSD isn't worth $3k, but I don't want to be left behind in the future. I didn't buy in at $2k but regretted it afterward. I decided $4k was just too high and that I wouldn't be buying FSD. I'm now conflicted with $3k.

If I had EAP I would upgrade to FSD for $3K (or less).

The reason is EAP is a weird in-between area, and I wouldn't want to be stuck there.

Plus the $3K buys you the HW3 upgrade which means you get the faster computer, and this means improved performance of the various neural networks.

I say this yet, I would not buy FSD for $7K because it's a pile of crap. I have EAP+FSD which I paid for when I bought my Model 3 back in 2018. I don't really regret the $3K for EAP, but I feel like $3K of the $5K for EAP was a complete waste of money with nothing to show for it.

So, I got FSD as part of my CPO purchase. Getting the HW3 upgrade this week, but won’t get the visualizations, since I’m not ready to drop $2.5K on MCU2.

I think that FSD needs to be thought of mostly as a “journey,” rather than a destination. If you want to fool around with the stop/start/discovery of FSD, fully recognizing the destination may be receding, maybe it’s worth it. But if you want to hop in and go (...er... have IT go), or you want a sure thing, I think the bar is high.

Don’t know if that helps....