Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP to FSD - bite the bullet now or risk it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2018 P3D that was equipped with EAP, so outside of HW3 and the newly released traffic signal features I have everything else FSD currently has. That said, I can upgrade to FSD for $4k, but in the past it has been $3k and once as low as $2k.

When I saw the recent price reduction on new Teslas I checked right away to see if I could upgrade for less, but alas it remains at $4k for me to jump up. Right now I'm not seeing much value, but given that the $1k price increase on FSD is set to take place on July 1 I'm curious as to how that will impact EAP drivers.

Any thoughts on whether I should just grit my teeth and just pay the $4000, or should I hold out hope that it will one day be cheaper?

Reactions: IronQQQ
Price will only go up from here. June 1st it goes up by $1k, so you only have 4 more days for the $4k price. You could go with the subscription plan, but no one really knows what that looks like just yet (in terms of cost).

I’ve been predicting the demand will fall in the price will drop for almost a year, but true to his word the price kept going up. I bit the bullet on the upgrade last month.
If you’re planning on keeping the car for the long term and FSD is something you want, I think now is the time.

Now that I’ve said that, watch the price drop after you make the purchase. That would fit my luck.

Depends on how long you intend to keep your car. Selling it in a few years? Probably not, since FSD stays with the car, not the account owner. Keeping it for long term? If you like what FSD currently offers, it might be worth to get it now.

Yea isnt this the typical dilemma - coming from a $10k BMW being the nicest car I've ever owned to dropping nearly 50k on this I'd think I'd have it for 5 years at least. It's far and away the most fun car I've had and I've only had it for about 3 months but I don't plan on selling soon.

Reactions: Tron 3 and drdumont
Buy the subscription when it comes out, maybe get a free upgrade to HW3 computer, cancel subscription after a month, enjoy the better visualizations, maybe they'll add red-light/stop-sign warning alerts as a safety feature. And still enjoy the decent autopilot on highways with EAP.
when you purchase FSD - you automatically get the FSD computer upgrade at no "extra" cost - IF you don't already have it.

FSD is sensors cameras, sonar, radar (all Tesla made today have) FSD computer (auto upgraded)
software + update services (over the air updates as usual) cloud computer services which allow FSD to continue to improve (gathering of fleet data).

I purchased a 2018 P3D that was equipped with EAP, so outside of HW3 and the newly released traffic signal features I have everything else FSD currently has. That said, I can upgrade to FSD for $4k, but in the past it has been $3k and once as low as $2k.

When I saw the recent price reduction on new Teslas I checked right away to see if I could upgrade for less, but alas it remains at $4k for me to jump up. Right now I'm not seeing much value, but given that the $1k price increase on FSD is set to take place on July 1 I'm curious as to how that will impact EAP drivers.

Any thoughts on whether I should just grit my teeth and just pay the $4000, or should I hold out hope that it will one day be cheaper?

Presumably you have HW2.5, so there is a direct benefit for the $4K, that you get the HW2.5 -> HW3 upgrade.

We bit the bullet when the upgrade price was $3K.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
Buy the subscription when it comes out, maybe get a free upgrade to HW3 computer, cancel subscription after a month, enjoy the better visualizations, maybe they'll add red-light/stop-sign warning alerts as a safety feature. And still enjoy the decent autopilot on highways with EAP.
Yeah, this is another unknown area regarding the subscription FSD service. It's unlikely they would let you have the subscription for only 1 month after upgrading to HW3.0, but no one really knows at this point. There is a lot of speculation and guessing, but until Tesla announces this program and provides all the details then everything is just a guess at this point. The subscription based FSD sounds great in theory, but the devil is in the details. Keep in mind that Elon has already talked about HW 4.0 as part of the full FSD solution, so paying the full price now should include all HW upgrades required to get to FSD. If the subscription service does not cover HW upgrades then there will be additional fees to pay to cover those, plus whatever the monthly subscription price is.

Reactions: SammichLover
My main reason to buy fsd was to get latest computer for my 1/18 model 3. The new visualizations are pretty cool, and in town fsd interesting, although a lot of work now. Still amazing to see it work on my 2 1/2 year old car. If you plan to keep car awhile, I’d probably upgrade.

Reactions: Dan_LA
I just requested a refund on my fsd today. There is no way we will see robo taxi Teslas in NY. We don't allow anything here. We don't even allow turo.

I bought fsd and used it for the past two days. I drove about 140miles. My conclusion is that it doesn't really help with anything.

Autopilot is great but we already have that

Nav on auto pilot meh it required help merging multiple times. It almost stops on the highway trying to merge. It also missed an exit almost I had to take over. It's amazing but def a beta.

Lane changes are impressive that it does that when you ask but its really not that hard to do myself. Not worth 7 or 8k

Speed based lane changes are bad. It doesn't make good decisions. You are better off not using it.

Summon is flat out horrible. It's hilariously bad at routing. It's crazy slow. Get ready to watch your car drive all over the parking lot. Randomly hits the brakes hard over and over. Again your better off not using it. It's scary to use.

Auto park works but it's so slow I would just park myself. Perpendicular parking you need a car on each side which is meh. For some reason it parks sideways sometimes in spots or randomly gives up and says unavailable half way in.

Parallel parking works good actually but I cant justify 7 or 8k for that. I had a rental Prius that parallel parked itself just as good. This should be standard on a car like this.

Lastly stopping at traffic signals. Its not a feature it's a hindrance while driving. Really makes the driving experience annoying because it stops at everything even green lights. You have to keep hitting the gas or confirm stalk. The car will randomly slow before you hit it. It will also randomly think things are traffic lights. Bridges and overhead objects. While it's amazing the car doesn't run reds, it creates a bad driving experience. Your passengers will complain.

Conclusion I requested the refund and if there is some amazing update that makes it worth 8k in the next year I will think about it then.

It has to make my life easier though not harder.

Side note I love the model 3 but FSD is overpriced as it is. When this becomes worth using in 3-5 years there will be a lot of competition and much cooler cars. There may even be a new model 3.

There's a roughly 0% chance that's how the subscription is going to work.

Ask me if FSD is worth it after Autopilot works reliably in the rain and snow, Smart Summons is actually a useful feature, and every other object on the side of the road isn't detected as a "safety cone";)
I'm pretty sure HW 2.5 will only display cones, so I'm going to assume that you have HW 2.5. You have to update to HW 3.0 to get the full visualizations. This includes recognition of stop lights or stop signs, so no additional safety features to be had with HW 2.5. I've also heard from friends that have recently upgraded that they have noticed better AP driving vs when they had HW 2.5. An example, there is a S curve in our immediate neighborhood that is on a 45mph road and most drivers slow to 30-35 to take the S curve. AP with HW 2.5 does not handle this S curve at all, but it does with HW 3.0, so there are some improvements there. For all the things you would like to have you will have to upgrade to HW 3.0 to get them.

All jokes aside, I think the real question to ask yourself is 1- how long do you plan on keeping the car and 2- what is $4k worth to you?
If you already think you are "biting the bullet" already then why bother? Do you believe in 3-5 years the FSD package will really allow you to take a nap on the car and take you to your destination?

Reactions: drdumont