Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP to FSD upgrade now $3,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sooooooo its for late 2016 MX's huh? I picked up my used MX 2016 with EAP a few weeks ago, but its AP1, not my EAP huh?

You were sold a vehicle claiming EAP and it's AP1? That's not correct. AP1 should be "Autopilot with Convenience Features" or something similar... Enhanced AutoPilot (EAP) began with AP2...

Well, Tesla just deactivated my EAP. It must have been a 30 free trial because today is exactly 30 days from date of purchase. It’s a little annoying that standard autopilot doesn’t even change lane anymore. It’s like driving an expensive car with cruise control at this point.

Well, Tesla just deactivated my EAP. It must have been a 30 free trial because today is exactly 30 days from date of purchase. It’s a little annoying that standard autopilot doesn’t even change lane anymore. It’s like driving an expensive car with cruise control at this point.

If that's the case, you were actually on FSD. Did you get anything in your vehicle popping up about a trial? Or, it could be that their system has finally processed the vehicle.

Reactions: jelly
It may have been FSD but nothing was different than my 2017 Model X with EAP. I did noticed that the car took a right turn on autopilot. That never happened with EAP.

Correct, at this time, EAP and FSD are functionally equivalent. Yes, some people have mentioned that with recent updates, their vehicles have been able to complete or do various turns.

Anybody know if this is intended to be a permanent fix? I don't mean the $3k price being permanent, but a permanent fix to the pricing structure, so that at whatever the listed price if FSD is, those who bought EAP will have their upgrade price reduced by the amount extra they paid for the EAP over AP.

Anybody know if this is intended to be a permanent fix? I don't mean the $3k price being permanent, but a permanent fix to the pricing structure, so that at whatever the listed price if FSD is, those who bought EAP will have their upgrade price reduced by the amount extra they paid for the EAP over AP.

Nothing is permanent about the Tesla pricing structure. Also, FSD isn't reduced by how much you paid for EAP.

Some here have paid 5k for EAP. If you add the 3k for FSD, that's a total of 8k for FSD. Others have paid 5k for EAP and 6k for FSD for 11k total. I think there were other price differences at one time to but one thing is for sure. If you paid for EAP, FSD will cost you more than what anyone buying FSD without EAP has to pay.

I’m glad they gave me a month to try FSD to confirm my decision to hold off of the upgrade at this time. It felt just like EAP on my 2017 model X. I had to take over the wheel many times during AP testing. Unfortunately, FSD isn’t not ready for every day use yet.

Correct, at this time, EAP and FSD are functionally equivalent. Yes, some people have mentioned that with recent updates, their vehicles have been able to complete or do various turns.

Same thing applies to those who purchase cars but trade every three or four years. I bought FSD for both cars during the $2000 sale, but intend to keep them for at least ten years. Even then, I hesitated as I will be shocked if stoplight and stop sign recognition works well before 2020 or later.

One aspect which I really doubt many people think about that any updates to ap/eap/fsd has to be tested extremely thoroughly.

For any chance of stop light recognition by end of 2019, it needs to already be “solid” right now in the dev fleet.

People love throwing around “vaporware” but don’t know what that really means.

Slow as turtle FSD is not the same as never FSD or “failed Kickstarter project”.

My Model X had no TACC day one and was two months before autosteer limited to 25mph (useless). No local roads and it would constantly phantom brake under any overpass.

Rough rough stuff. I forget nowadays that same hardware in 2016 is a champ with AP up to 90mph and competent on much of my distance driving.

Reactions: MGMDaware
Anyone else pick up FSD? My account was adjusted to reflect my EAP so its 3k for me now also. It might be worth it for the computer upgrade at that price. I'm not sure how much better the new computer will handle the autopilot though. Its one thing to have faster compute, its another thing to have the software use it.

Anyone else pick up FSD? My account was adjusted to reflect my EAP so its 3k for me now also. It might be worth it for the computer upgrade at that price. I'm not sure how much better the new computer will handle the autopilot though. Its one thing to have faster compute, its another thing to have the software use it.

Wow, so they changed your account to EAP, but, you mentioned you had only paid for AP (EAP wasn't on your order)? Or did they not have any AP, in which case, you got AP+FSD for $3k total? Or, if you had paid for AP, then, AP+FSD for $6k total? Either way, you made out.

Wow, so they changed your account to EAP, but, you mentioned you had only paid for AP (EAP wasn't on your order)? Or did they not have any AP, in which case, you got AP+FSD for $3k total? Or, if you had paid for AP, then, AP+FSD for $6k total? Either way, you made out.

I haven't upgraded. I bought a 2018 vehicle with EAP. It just wasn't reflected correctly. They fixed that.

I guess I need to test AP features with my current computer and with the new computer to know if there is a benefit from the hardware upgrade right now. One of my friends has a M3 and the another has a M3P. Those both should have the latest computer as they were made recently. If the new computer makes better decisions because of the compute difference, it may be worth it to me.

I don't think the feature set change is worth it.

Why people pay for vaporware is really confusing to me... Just how many times does Tesla have to be egregiously late with their timelines before people stop handing them money as a reward for it? I wouldn't even remotely consider it until it's actually not vaporware... Since I'm on a lease it's really silly stupid to pay that much for something that may not even exist before my lease is up in 2021...

Jeff

Obviously this is a moneygrab. but for the good number of us who "own" our vehicles and plan on keeping it for 5-10 years, then why the heck not. If FSD isn't a thing a couple years from now, i doubt Tesla will be around then seeing how FSD is basically their entire business strategy. Since you lease, you probably don't even drive as much as the rest of us. My X is not even a year old and i have 17k miles on it already. So for me, the prospect of FSD is more enticing.

Reactions: ckwong