Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP upgrade coming back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post on reddit shows source code from the tesla account page showing enhanced autopilot may be available again for $4000 and another price increase for FSD to $14,000.

What are your thoughts on EAP? As someone who just received their m3p this month I didn't opt for FSD at $10,000 but EAP is looking like a pretty good option for me, who drives 80 miles/ day round trip mostly on the highway. People who bought EAP the last time it was available do you recommend buying it? And people who didn't buy it last time, are you thinking about buying it now?

Attachments

• 67D9BED8-7C0F-491B-AA96-449DC1A767A2.jpeg
    67D9BED8-7C0F-491B-AA96-449DC1A767A2.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 233
It was $5,000 before. $4000 is a bit better.
As an FSD owner, I Personally feel the EAP features other than auto lane change are mostly gimmicks and work about as well as you would expect an alpha product to work. Based on the current performance of the features, I would say no. But if somehow smart summon, auto park, and highway NoA become way smarter, I would consider it

Reactions: am_dmd and jsmay311
I think EAP is worth it if you drive a lot on the highway. I have two Teslas with FSD, and when I recently rented a Model 3 with basic AP (from Turo), I really missed Auto Lane Change. I can live without Summon, Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, etc.
Agreed. I have FSD in my M3; my wife recently got a MY with standard autopilot. I REALLY miss the auto late changes in her car. TACC with autosteer is great, but you have to disengage it every time you need to change lanes (first world problems, I know...lol).

I got FSD for my car because I'm interested in seeing the bleeding edge of the technology and I'm super excited for where it's heading. That being said, I don't find most of the features to be all that useful just yet. Advanced Summon has come in handy a few times, as has Autopark, but I only use NoA when I'm driving alone and feeling curious and/or adventurous. It still makes me a bit nervous, particularly in merging traffic, and isn't always the most courteous driver. I'm NOT knocking it - I'm very glad I got it and I can't wait to try the city streets beta! - but I don't think it adds a ton of value in its current state. That may change soon though.

I had EAP for 14 months in my first Model 3. When I got the second, EAP was no longer an option. when it came back on the menu as a downloadable upgrade last year for $4k, I passed. Why?

Autopark: used it once. Didn’t work.
Smart Summon: scary. Too many stories of the car crunching itself in the giant sensor blind spot. Actual use meant I stopped using it.
Dumb Summon: miss this.
NOA: does what it says on the tin, mostly. But always left me frustrated. using it in traffic guarantees heart palpitations. Cutting off cars to get to exit routes. Slow speed on ramps with cars up your butt. Weird lane choices. These systems are supposed to make your drive more relaxing, not more stressful.
Auto lane change: See NOA above. Either cut people off or took forever to change in traffic. Worked fine with no cars around. Only reason I miss this is passing other cars Noel you have to dis-engage AP, listen to the bong-bong, comolete your lane changes and re-engage. Bong bong. Too much binging and bonging. I miss it for that reason only.

Which is not $4k enough for me to get it.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
EAP for $4k is a fantastic deal, since to me the vast majority of FSD's value is currently in NoA. That is priced very competitively with Super/Ultracruise, offers better features with automated lane changes and navigation, and also has wider applicability.

Reactions: El joe
EAP for $4k is a fantastic deal, since to me the vast majority of FSD's value is currently in NoA. That is priced very competitively with Super/Ultracruise, offers better features with automated lane changes and navigation, and also has wider applicability.

It's a fantastic deal if *sugar* works the right way. The issue is summon sucks, autopark sucks and auto lane is pretty good. Overall it should only cost 2k right now until they going to fix all the issues in 2040 maybe.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Agreed. Love my EAP and IMO, it offers almost all of the current benefits of FSD at a fraction of the cost.

It was $5,000 before. $4000 is a bit better.
As an FSD owner, I Personally feel the EAP features other than auto lane change are mostly gimmicks and work about as well as you would expect an alpha product to work. Based on the current performance of the features, I would say no. But if somehow smart summon, auto park, and highway NoA become way smarter, I would consider it

My receipt from September says it was $4,000.

I had it on my 2018 3 and upgraded last Sept on our current 3. If it comes back for $4k, will likely add it to our X. I don't often use auto-lane change on the highway, but it's endlessly annoying to have Autosteer disable when I change lanes. With EAP, the car will change when I tell it to, without disabling Autosteer. Is that worth $4k? No, but getting Summon (which is useful to me due to a small garage) and Navigate on Autopilot makes it likely worthwhile.

$14k for FSD is nuts for normal folks.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yep, will be interesting to see the pricing. At least this will solve the non-transferability issue.

When it rolls out (subscription based pricing for FSD) I expect whole lot of teeth gnashing over how "ridiculous" the monthly subscription price is. Tesla has always said "buying FSD up front will always be cheaper than subscription", and it remains to be seen over what time frame they are talking about. If FSD is actually going to go up to 14k, and we look at a 5 year time frame as "reasonable" to be average ownership, that means to even be "the same" price it would have to be a $234 a month subscription.

Based on that, spitballing and throwing a number at the wall, it seems like the subscription would be at least $250, or maybe even $299 a month. If its anywhere near that, the people who have been clamoring for a subscription will loose their mind (and post here about it).

When it rolls out (subscription based pricing for FSD) I expect whole lot of teeth gnashing over how "ridiculous" the monthly subscription price is. Tesla has always said "buying FSD up front will always be cheaper than subscription", and it remains to be seen over what time frame they are talking about. If FSD is actually going to go up to 14k, and we look at a 5 year time frame as "reasonable" to be average ownership, that means to even be "the same" price it would have to be a $234 a month subscription.

Based on that, spitballing and throwing a number at the wall, it seems like the subscription would be at least $250, or maybe even $299 a month. If its anywhere near that, the people who have been clamoring for a subscription will loose their mind (and post here about it).

Sure could be. The issue right now is that FSD is an extreme disincentive to upgrade to a newer car if you haven't had your car for several years at the least. FSD has traditionally returned very little on used Teslas (or trades to Tesla).

I’m a big fan of NOA, and auto park can parallel park a lot better than I can, so I use that whenever possible. I don’t see myself trusting FSD for a while, so I think having EAP is a great option.
I think $4000 is a reasonable price for what you get.