Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP upgrade coming back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the extra EAP features rely on radar (rather rely on side/rear cameras), so not seeing how that plays a role. Rather it's the standard AP features that do.

Stop letting your logic and reason get in the way of people throwing their indignation about changes around! /s

None of the extra EAP features rely on radar (rather rely on side/rear cameras), so not seeing how that plays a role.
Smart summon is an EAP feature that is being disabled on non-radar cars.

Can you explain why smart summon and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance needed to be removed based on Radar being removed? These don't obviously use radar either, yet they had to be disabled. It's not actually very clear or obvious where and why Tesla uses radar, and how the other features may degrade with the loss of radar.

Last edited:
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
This move towards EAP and FSD again is really odd with the idea that a sub is on the horizon.

We already have the issue that for current EAP cars, FSD is $5K. If you have EAP, all FSD adds is stoplight control today, and supposedly city streets "Soon." But for AP cars, FSD is $10K, but adds all the EAP stuff, plus the FSD stuff.

If there is a fixed price subscription (whatever that price is), people with EAP get a lot less for that sub than an AP does, so the take rate for EAP cars will likely be a lot less, reducing the revenue Tesla gets to see.

Now it appears Tesla is throwing themselves into this yet again? Some people with EAP, some people with just AP, but a subscription for "FSD" on the horizon? Will Tesla have two or even 3 FSD sub prices based on what other options your car has?

Makes me wonder if they're going to require EAP to be purchased in order to subscribe to FSD- That's a pretty tricky way for Tesla to have a reasonable FSD sub price, force people to fully buy the features that are there today, and not piss off the people that paid for FSD @10K in the past also.

Makes me wonder if they're going to require EAP to be purchased in order to subscribe to FSD- That's a pretty tricky way for Tesla to have a reasonable FSD sub price, force people to fully buy the features that are there today, and not piss off the people that paid for FSD @10K in the past also.
It's definitely possible. Coincidence that FSD price went up the same amount as EAP? Perhaps not...

Smart summon is an EAP feature that is being disabled on non-radar cars.

Can you explain why smart summon and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance needed to be removed based on Radar being removed? These don't obviously use radar either, yet they had to be disabled. It's not actually very clear or obvious where and why Tesla uses radar, and how the other features may degrade with the loss of radar.

My guess is that they would want ELDA to be formally qualified - would be dumb brave for Tesla to rely on their own assessment for a safety feature.

As for smart summon, only the 3 people use it would even notice...

I had EAP for 14 months in my first Model 3. When I got the second, EAP was no longer an option. when it came back on the menu as a downloadable upgrade last year for $4k, I passed. Why?

Autopark: used it once. Didn’t work.
Smart Summon: scary. Too many stories of the car crunching itself in the giant sensor blind spot. Actual use meant I stopped using it.
Dumb Summon: miss this.
NOA: does what it says on the tin, mostly. But always left me frustrated. using it in traffic guarantees heart palpitations. Cutting off cars to get to exit routes. Slow speed on ramps with cars up your butt. Weird lane choices. These systems are supposed to make your drive more relaxing, not more stressful.
Auto lane change: See NOA above. Either cut people off or took forever to change in traffic. Worked fine with no cars around. Only reason I miss this is passing other cars Noel you have to dis-engage AP, listen to the bong-bong, comolete your lane changes and re-engage. Bong bong. Too much binging and bonging. I miss it for that reason only.

Which is not $4k enough for me to get it.

Totally agree. I have even turned off NOA on my EAP car.

The only EAP function I use is auto-lane change which I absolutely love on the open road (passing big rigs), but that's a trip I only make ~4 times per year, and don't need two cars with that functionality.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Bought EAP last time around. Would buy it again. I still think it should be around $2500-$3000 in my mind. I use dumb summon alot, NOA with confirm lane changes i use on highway trips of 50 or more miles. Smart summon works well for me but I dont use it as frequent because I can walk to the car faster. I usually start the summon and continue to walk and meet the car halfway and I guess I just know when and where to use it to get the desired result. Autopark is my least used feature because I rarely have to parallel park. When I do, it works for me no issues. I have not tried using it for perpendicular parking.