Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP upgrade in my tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched and didn't see any mention so hopefully this isn't a dupe.

I logged into my tesla this morning and enhanced autopilot is now a clickable upgrade just like the battery upgrade to 75. Full self driving is also available as a separate line item. I believe before you actually had to go to the service center for EAP upgrade.

I think you mean $6k.

He probably meant FSD.

upload_2017-3-2_9-21-35.png

So here is the $4000 question: given Elon's recent comments regarding the possibility of requiring a HW upgrade for 'true' FSD, is it worth paying for this now, even though we know it won't work for a while, on the possibility that if you already paid for it, you get the HW for free?

on the possibility that if you already paid for it, you get the HW for free?

I think that's a huge assumption to make.

I bought EAP but not FSD because I felt that FSD would be a LONG way out. (years)
it's better to just pay the $1k "penalty" later if/when FSD is operational

by that time, my brand new Model S may be ready to replace.

anybody who buys FSD now, knowing what we know now, should view it as a Kickstarter campaign to help Tesla's cash flow, with the small possible upside in acquiring functional technology within the next 5 years.

Anyone that pays full price for a feature that is not available (FSD) is foolish but I guess that is what Tesla is counting on with putting it for sale to everyone with an AP2 vehicle. I got suckered into it but at-least when the vehicle was configured with it there was a $1000 savings for the gamble but to buy it afterwards at full price with it not being available would be beyond foolish.

Anyone that pays full price for a feature that is not available (FSD) is foolish but I guess that is what Tesla is counting on with putting it for sale to everyone with an AP2 vehicle.

I tend to agree, however....

There's no guarantee that the upgrade "penalty" will stay $1K. With the possibility of additional hardware being required, the add-on could be significantly more. And those who previously bought FSD may get whatever is needed at no additional charge (it could turn out to be a bargain...but I wouldn't bet on it).

Time will tell....

...on the possibility that if you already paid for it, you get the HW for free?
I do believe Elon said, around the time HW2 was announced, that a hardware upgrade might be needed and implied that they would cover that. I don't have a quote (and am not inclined to search for one), but even if he did, I would not recommend relying on that.

Ok, I'll bite.

IF (big if)
Tesla guaranteed in writing that my current AP2 car will have FSD capability equal to or better than what their promotional FSD video showed a few months ago, AND the FSD on my AP2 car will work equal or better than whatever exists at the time that FSD exits "beta stage"...

THEN
I would plunk down FSD money today.

BUT
That's not going to happen, because unfortunately it is my GUESS that Tesla is not yet sure exactly what Hardware, Software, Road Infrastructure, and Governmental changes will need to happen to make true Level 5 FSD work.
I think they can make Level 3 and perhaps Level 4 work in the next 5 years. Who knows? Could be 1 year. Could be 5.

I tend to agree, however....

There's no guarantee that the upgrade "penalty" will stay $1K. With the possibility of additional hardware being required, the add-on could be significantly more. And those who previously bought FSD may get whatever is needed at no additional charge (it could turn out to be a bargain...but I wouldn't bet on it).

Time will tell....
There are no guarantees of anything, given that even EAP has no deadlines (the car may turn to dust before everything is delivered). AP1 was less vague in its promises, yet we are still waiting on things like reliable blind spot detection or meeting at the curb that is not directly on your driveway in front of the garage. If you're going to plunk thousands of dollars on "possibility" and "could be" , why not consider the possibility that if you play $8000+ on lottery tickets, there is a possibility you could win millions. ;)

Realistically though, if you want to hedge your bets, buy $8000 worth of Tesla stock. If they get FSD doing everything they imply it will, your stock gain will cover any extra premium "penalty" and then some, maybe even buy you an upgrade to latest P model.

I noticed that a LOT of inventory cars now come with FSD, and you cannot get it taken off. Essentially they are "funding" themselves using that feature even though everyone here knows its waaaay off. But a LOT of folks dont know that, they are looking at all the "auto-pilot" Tesla is videos and news and thinking it must not be that far out.

Its one of the things that you either hate or don't care about with Tesla, I personally do not want to pay for something I have no shot of having anytime soon knowing there is a good chance there may be a model refresh or price change or any number of developments by the time it comes on and is ready to go. With EAP itself so lagging, I'm glad I wasn't forced into FSD