Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Upgrade Path? [in the US]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I bought a used Model 3 w/ only AutoPilot w/convenience features, would I be able to upgrade to EAP? I guess this be 2018 - 2019 models?

If I bought a used Model 3 w/ only basica AutoPilot, would I be able to upgrade to EAP? I guess this be 2020 - 2021 models?

If I bought a used Model 3 w/ only AutoPilot w/convenience features, would I be able to upgrade to EAP? I guess this be 2018 - 2019 models?

If I bought a used Model 3 w/ only basica AutoPilot, would I be able to upgrade to EAP? I guess this be 2020 - 2021 models?
As of right now EAP isn't available. There is a rumor though that Tesla may be bringing it back. If they did it is just a software update so you would pay through the app and they would install it over the air.

So if the used Model 3, probably 2018 to 2019 versions, has the AutoPilot (no autosteer), then I can upgrade to the basic AP?
Oh you are talking a early car that just had basic cruise control and not Autopilot. It has all the sensors so I know you could upgrade to full self driving. I believe you can add AutoPilot (auto steer but doesn't auto lane change like Enhanced AutoPilot) as well through the app (You could last year for $3k). If you are looking to buy I would ask Tesla to be sure. Right now all the used model 3's on tesla's site in my area have full self driving...

1. No

2. No

So if the used Model 3, probably 2018 to 2019 versions, has the AutoPilot (no autosteer), then I can upgrade to the basic AP?

Your upgrade choices in the US will be to "autopilot" if the car does not have anything (used model 3 pre April 2019) or FSD. There is no current upgrade in the US to EAP.

Oh you are talking a early car that just had basic cruise control and not Autopilot. It has all the sensors so I know you could upgrade to full self driving. I believe you can add AutoPilot as well through the app (You could last year for $3k). If you are looking to buy I would ask Tesla to be sure. Right now all the used model 3's on
1. No

2. No

Your upgrade choices in the US will be to "autopilot" if the car does not have anything (used model 3 pre April 2019) or FSD. There is no current upgrade in the US to EAP.
And, that's $3k? Why does it say AutoPilot w/Convenience, sorta of confusing, but whatever. lo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is 3k to get to "autopilot" on a car that did not come with anything at all (pre april 2019 and EAP not purchased).

tesla autopilot.JPG

Safety and convenience features are as follows, none of which are actually "autopilot"

Tesla Autopilot active safety features.JPG

Just look at the upgrades section in your Tesla app - it will tell you exactly what you can and can't do for your particular car and what is/isn't available.

This member sold their model 3 (LEMR) recently (likely due to the current used car market) and is now looking at re purchasing used teslas. These are pre purchase questions, as they dont currently have a tesla model 3. I only know this because I read a lot of threads here, especially in the model 3 section... which I guess would be expected of a moderator for said section, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
I am in the market right now for a used or new one. I would like EAP but can settle for AP I suppose. I can't check any app.

I think it may be best to get one w/EAP or buy new.
My S has EAP now and honestly most of the automated stuff with the exception of auto steer tends to drive me nuts and I don't use it. Summon is really useless (except checking tires for nails) because it is so slow, Same with Auto Lane change I find it too slow and do it my self. I didn't order my new Performance Model 3 with full self driving because to me none of that is worth $10k. Elon has said they will have a monthly subscription option for Full Self driving that I would be much more interested in as the tech gets better.

@whydontwe that makes sense now, sorry I missed that- sadly the only way you're getting EAP is buy a car that already has it
EAP was a great balance of useful AP features without any of the FSD features that have yet to be delivered.
I think basic AP is almost useless, but FSD is way too much money.
After all FSD still does nothing more useful than EAP ever did, but it costs more.

Reactions: THXULTRA
@whydontwe that makes sense now, sorry I missed that- sadly the only way you're getting EAP is buy a car that already has it
EAP was a great balance of useful AP features without any of the FSD features that have yet to be delivered.
I think basic AP is almost useless, but FSD is way too much money.
After all FSD still does nothing more useful than EAP ever did, but it costs more.
What feature of EAP are you looking for? The rumor I read says they may bring EAP back for $4k with the FSD 9.0 beta. That being said it is just a rumor. I have EAP now and will just have AP on my new performance M3. The only part of EAP I will miss is Navigate on AP but even that is only useful when traffic is light. Chicago drivers aren't leaving the huge gap the car wants to switch lanes...

Any 3 can be upgraded to FSD as long as you give them $10,000 (might be $14K or even $20K soon, there are rumors of both). If you car is older than May 2019 it will have HW 2.5 instead of HW3, for those cars the upgrade to HW3 is included in the FSD price. Nobody knows what they are going to do for the subscription when it comes out. If I had to guess for HW2.5 cars they will either make you pay for the HW3 upgrade or they will have a minimum subscription period of a year or two to cover the upgrade costs.
As of now FSD doesn't give you anything worthwhile over standard AP. Summon is a party trick, autopark is terrible and navigate on autopilot is basically just lane keep plus the ability to do an automatic lane change. It's terrifying on exit ramps because it doesn't slow down, it takes them at full speed. Supposedly the Beta version will be much better but a broader release is no where in site, basically the only people who have it are Tesla employees and some select YouTubers.

What are the benefits of HW 3 without FSD?
its supposed to enable the better visualizations and all the traffic light stuff. Can't do FSD with HW3.
I'm not holding much hope out for FSD in the near term and not that interested in paying for it all over again if I replace my '18 Model 3
If they still had EAP available I'd be in a '21 Model Y now - definitely not paying 10K to get the equivalent of EAP now with FSD at some undetermined point in the future. Did that three years ago and got nothing but EAP.
@THXULTRA and @bjrosen are on the money, Tesla need to prove FSD is worth the expense. Right now it just isn't.
Everything else about the car I love, it just grates overpaying for something and not getting it. Can't imagine how annoyed folks who leased will be, paying for FSD in the lease and getting nothing.

its supposed to enable the better visualizations and all the traffic light stuff. Can't do FSD with HW3.
I'm not holding much hope out for FSD in the near term and not that interested in paying for it all over again if I replace my '18 Model 3
If they still had EAP available I'd be in a '21 Model Y now - definitely not paying 10K to get the equivalent of EAP now with FSD at some undetermined point in the future. Did that three years ago and got nothing but EAP.
@THXULTRA and @bjrosen are on the money, Tesla need to prove FSD is worth the expense. Right now it just isn't.
Everything else about the car I love, it just grates overpaying for something and not getting it. Can't imagine how annoyed folks who leased will be, paying for FSD in the lease and getting nothing.
I plan on waiting to see what the monthly fee is for FSD when they come out with that. I like the idea of being able to get it and if it doesn't work as good as I need I can always cancel it. Plus this way I'm not dropping $10k on something when I may trade the car in 4 years from now. Watched quite a few videos on FSD 9.0 beta and it is getting better but still does some scary stuff. I still think it will be a while before we have hands free FSD.

Reactions: Twiglett
Status
Not open for further replies.