Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Users- Is it worth $5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided not at first. PA has this funny EV rebate that gives 2k for a model 3 without autopilot, but with autopilot at purchase it over the max amount. I would prefer autopilot over the premium upgrades, but then I would miss out on the federal rebate... So for now, no EAP, and I'll see how we like it on the free trial

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I decided not at first. PA has this funny EV rebate that gives 2k for a model 3 without autopilot, but with autopilot at purchase it over the max amount. I would prefer autopilot over the premium upgrades, but then I would miss out on the federal rebate... So for now, no EAP, and I'll see how we like it on the free trial

A fellow Model 3 (soon to be) owner called Harrisburg. This has been confirmed by an independent 2nd source. In August, they are changing the language to include more Model 3s. If you subtract the cost of the long range battery ($9K) from your purchase price (including destination fee) and it is under $50K, you qualify for the $1750. You have 6 months from date of purchase to apply. The website has not been updated yet, so I'll keep checking and let you know.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I've had the model 3 for a month now and highly recommend the EAP. You will be laughing in traffic and get to rest while the car does the work for you. The technology is way beyonds its time and ahead of other manufactures. It's definitely worth the $5K. The EAP was one of my reasons for choosing Tesla over other EV cars.

I say yes, it was the main reason why I wanted a Tesla. I had never driven a Tesla until I rented an S while on vacation. I was very hesitant to use autopilot, but I am so glad I did. I had to drive back and forth between Orlando and Cocoa Beach a few times, and in the 2 days I had the Tesla, by the end I felt very comfortable using EAP.

Sure, I was hyper sensitive to my surroundings because it was my first time driving a Tesla, but now that I'm getting a 3, it is a no brainer for me. Especially since I have a 55 mile one way commute each day, 95% of it is 4 lane highway or interstate. I honestly can't wait.

I’d say the feature in its current form is “worth” about $3,500. It’s truly a godsend in stop and go traffic and on long mindless highway stretches.

That said it still has a ways to go and some very pedestrian cars (Camry for one example) have TACC as standard equipment.

I would like to see Tesla add TACC as standard and then make the rest of the autopilot suite $3500.

Still glad to have it but it’s perhaps a smidge over-priced. I might change my mind as it improves through software updates.

That said it still has a ways to go and some very pedestrian cars (Camry for one example) have TACC as standard equipment.
The Camry's version of TACC is not comparable to what EAP does. It's more of an advance cruise control and is pretty much useless during stop and go traffic.

While there are other "similar" technology out there EAP even at its current stage is much more advance than all of the competition. I would say yes, it's worth $5k because for $5k you can't buy anything else that's offers the same amount of functionality as everything that you get with EAP.

The Camry's version of TACC is not comparable to what EAP does. It's more of an advance cruise control and is pretty much useless during stop and go traffic.

While there are other "similar" technology out there EAP even at its current stage is much more advance than all of the competition. I would say yes, it's worth $5k because for $5k you can't buy anything else that's offers the same amount of functionality as everything that you get with EAP.

I suppose. I drove a Sonata with ACC + Stop & Go that did a pretty reasonable approximation of what TACC does, but Tesla’s system is excellent.

In any event EAP feels a little overpriced to me especially given that this was a $3,000 option until the EAP/AP2 launch debacle nearly two years ago when we got “enhanced” AP that is only now matching the capabilities of the previous hardware with no enhancements in sight. That’s where my $3,500 valuation comes from.

Don't think its worth 5k IMO. It's still very much beta and is missing features that are included in that 5k. It has issues with lane changing often, can't have cars close to it. It sometimes has issues seeing cars cutting in the lane. The way it accelerates and decelerates is jarring and not natural or efficient. It keeps the lane excellently except for forks where it will hunt for a bit and then pick a side, usually left. Still has unnecessary sudden braking events on freeways, seen many threads about this. FCW has worked well for me though it doesnt engage AEB, not sure in which scenario it would, I know FCW and AEB aren't part of AP, but just thought I'd mention.

Tricky question. Worth it? Depends on your usage pattern. Overpriced? Definitely.
$5k is too much for TACC plus unreliable lane keeping. Other car makers include TACC for free or as a $1-2k option.
Lane keeping is not what EAP does. EAP offers auto steering. Can you give specifics in terms of what you mean by that it's unreliable? I've used EAP for over 1600 miles on all sorts of road and traffic conditions and I can verify that it does an excellent job of staying in the lane. There are many times when the people in front of me where drifting out of the lane on a sharp curves but my Model 3 was still in the lane. Is it perfect? Of course not, but is there something that does it better than EAP right now?

You can't just compare TACC on other vehicles to EAP. EAP includes TACC, auto steering, auto lane changing, auto parking, summon, and potentially more with future updates. Is there an equivalent to EAP from another manufacturer right now that you can get for $5k?

With technology you always pay a premium for getting something that no one else offers. Think about an iPhone. Are there other phones that does a lot of similar things? Of course. But there are a few things that the X does that other phones don't and people pay a premium ($1k) to get those few things.

Last edited:
Don't think its worth 5k IMO. It's still very much beta and is missing features that are included in that 5k. It has issues with lane changing often, can't have cars close to it. It sometimes has issues seeing cars cutting in the lane. The way it accelerates and decelerates is jarring and not natural or efficient. It keeps the lane excellently except for forks where it will hunt for a bit and then pick a side, usually left. Still has unnecessary sudden braking events on freeways, seen many threads about this. FCW has worked well for me though it doesnt engage AEB, not sure in which scenario it would, I know FCW and AEB aren't part of AP, but just thought I'd mention.
I noticed when a lane merges it always goes to the center, which can be a problem because people tend to speed up and pass you in those situations, so I tend to take over during a merge. At least it's consistent.

I've actually found the lane changing to be quite good. It's much better now then it was when I test drove the S a year ago. I'm not sure what you consider close, but I tend to wait for a big space when I make a lane change (I try to avoid having the car I get in front of having to hit their breaks) and I find EAP does it pretty close to how I would do it.

I totally agree with the unnatural acceleration and deceleration. I've noticed this during stop and go traffic. If a gap suddenly opens up it'll accelerate quickly to take up the space and then decelerate rapidly, which is not how I would do it if i was driving.

I found that it detects people cutting into my lane very well. It might start breaking about a second after I would have but it stops in plenty of time.

Last edited:
I noticed when a lane merges it always goes to the center, which can be a problem because people tend to speed up and pass you in those situations, so I tend to take over during a merge. At least it's consistent.

I've actually found the lane changing to be quite good. It's much better now then it was when I test drove the S a year ago. I'm not sure what you consider close, but I tend to wait for a big space when I made a lane change and I find EAP does it pretty close to how I would do it.

I totally agree with the unnatural acceleration and deceleration. I've noticed this during stop and go traffic. If a gap suddenly opens up it'll accelerate quickly to take up the space and then decelerate rapidly, which is not how I would do it if i was driving.

I found that it detects people cutting into my lane very well. It might start breaking about a second after I would have but it stops in plenty of time.

How quickly it accelerates for a gap is tied to the distance setting. What you're describing sounds like behavior from distance 1 or maybe 2. It becomes a lot less frantic on 3 or 4...

I drove Tesla with EAP and its very much worth it. Highway driving, stop and go traffic, etc. Its likely worth even more for those in dense cities with a lot of traffic, helps a bit. Getting Tesla without EAP is a waste, thats what make Tesla stand out from other BEVs
For me, what makes "Tesla stand out from other BEVs" is the ability to easily make long road trips via the Supercharger network; most of my 47k Tesla miles are long road trips, typically ~2500 miles. Without the Supercharger network I would need a second car — the fact that I don't need a second car and my Tesla handles all of my driving is a really big deal to me. YMMV.

My Volt has lane keep assist which didn’t come free but was part of some safety package which required the highest trim to even purchase. I would be dead within 15 seconds if I set the cruise control on and let this “lane keep assist” do it’s thing.

Are we really comparing Tesla’s system to other manufacturers?

It’s like comparing an actual horse to a corvette because they both generate horsepower units?

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and Falcon3
Lane keeping is not what EAP does. EAP offers auto steering. Can you give specifics in terms of what you mean by that it's unreliable? I've used EAP for over 1600 miles on all sorts of road and traffic conditions and I can verify that it does an excellent job of staying in the lane. There are many times when the people in front of me where drifting out of the lane on a sharp curves but my Model 3 was still in the lane. Is it perfect? Of course not, but is there something that does it better than EAP right now?

You can't just compare TACC on other vehicles to EAP. EAP includes TACC, auto steering, auto lane changing, auto parking, summon, and potentially more with future updates. Is there an equivalent to EAP from another manufacturer right now that you can get for $5k?

With technology you always pay a premium for getting something that no one else offers. Think about an iPhone. Are there other phones that does a lot of similar things? Of course. But there are a few things that the X does that other phones don't and people pay a premium ($1k) to get those few things.

Autosteering and lane keeping are the same thing. You're arguing semantics.
It's unreliable in the sense that you still have to give it your full attention because you can't rely on it to not kill you, it follows the wrong lines sometimes, and can randomly slam on the brakes if it sees a confusing shadow.
Summon and auto park are gimmicks, just finicky party tricks to show off with, and hardly make it worth $5k when similar systems cost 1-2k.

Reactions: Canuck
For me, what makes "Tesla stand out from other BEVs" is the ability to easily make long road trips via the Supercharger network; most of my 47k Tesla miles are long road trips, typically ~2500 miles. Without the Supercharger network I would need a second car — the fact that I don't need a second car and my Tesla handles all of my driving is a really big deal to me. YMMV.

I would argue that eAP is a key part of that, making long road trips much easier, but it's all about what makes you happy. :)

Reactions: Canuck
Autosteering and lane keeping are the same thing. You're arguing semantics.
It's unreliable in the sense that you still have to give it your full attention because you can't rely on it to not kill you, it follows the wrong lines sometimes, and can randomly slam on the brakes if it sees a confusing shadow.
Summon and auto park are gimmicks, just finicky party tricks to show off with, and hardly make it worth $5k when similar systems cost 1-2k.
If you're someone who thinks any phone that can make a call is the same thing as an Iphone X and arguing the differences is semantics then sure.

It's your opinion that those features are gimmicks. If you don't take advantage of a function then of course you can consider it a gimmick. You can argue having a car is a gimmick because walking works just fine.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: slipnslider