Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Users- Is it worth $5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I know, “worth” is a relative and subjective word, but having said that, do you think EAP was worth the money? The car is already at the top of my price point being that I need AWD (snow). I was debating whether to bite the bullet on EAP but not sure if the novelty would wear off and it’s something I would actually use on a regular basis. Isn’t it just laser cruise control with lane changing capabilities?

...snow...

AWD is nice but I think it's better to change to a set of snow tires regardless of RWD or AWD!

...novelty...

It depends on you. Some love it while others hate to give their controls over to automation. And please, remember: Iit's not a finished product just yet.

I myself have used it since March 2017 (1 year and 4 months so far) and love every minute of it!

It's a monopoly so it is well worth $5,000 and more!

Waymo doesn't sell you one.

GM cruise sells you one but it's so strictly geofenced that it won't work for my needs such as in construction zones.

On I-5, north of Los Angeles, there are stretches that cars are being directed to temporarily drive in a wrong lane (at highway speed) that belongs to the opposite traffic (on the other side of physical median) due to construction zone re-routing which works perfectly with Autopilot!

Last edited:
I know I know, “worth” is a relative and subjective word, but having said that, do you think EAP was worth the money? The car is already at the top of my price point being that I need AWD (snow). I was debating whether to bite the bullet on EAP but not sure if the novelty would wear off and it’s something I would actually use on a regular basis. Isn’t it just laser cruise control with lane changing capabilities?

I didn’t think I would want or need it since most of my driving is on suburban streets.

After renting a Model 3 that had it I am getting it.

I will get my money’s worth out of it on occasional road trips or when stuck in traffic.

Reactions: nvx1977
EAP is literally the reason I'm buying the car.

I mean, I'll certainly enjoy it for other reasons, but financially it'd make insanely more sense to just keep my current paid-for Lexus compared to a non-EAP Model 3, which is about the same size, roughly similar handling, and will be only a little bit quicker (and doesn't even have the XM and vented seats the lexus does).

Given I've got a decent drive to work each way, and 90% of that is highway often with traffic, EAP is going to make the worst part of every weekday massively better for me... (I've driven an S with EAP on my exact commute a few times to verify this rather than taking marketing folks word for it- it's really that good)

Now if you live 3 minutes from your job and never take any long trips or have no traffic where you live- maybe it's not worth it for you... but without it I wouldn't even be getting the car.

I live in SoCal where we use the highway to go everywhere, so I use EAP daily on our X when we take the family. It’s really relaxing in highway drives, even if just 15-20 min, to let it take the wheel. About 75% though is TACC and it controlling distance/speed in traffic, the other 25% for me auto steer. It makes me personally a safer driver because I am more patient.

I used to live in Ann Arbor. if you drive mostly local or mostly roads with stoplights, then you probably won’t use it that often. I think i drove a lot more smaller roads in Michigan to get around, compared to California. Also I personally am not too sure how much I’d trust it in the snow yet, but hopefully your AWD will alleviate that.

All that being said, half the reason to get a Tesla is the tech and autopilot is really cool. I just got a 3 to go with our X, and I could not justify the price a second time. Good news is you can add it later. I am hopefullly they make EAP really good and offer TACC at least as an upgrade later for like $1000. Probably will never happen, but who knows!

AP is worth its weight in gold, if you do any freeway driving for daily commute.

If you drive long distance even once or twice a month, I would not hesitate buying it.

Today with light rain here, I was in evening commute slow crawling freeway traffic for 90 minutes. AP was God send. I will go mad without AP anymore.

I think it is, especially with rolling updates. Ideally, I would want to have EAP use chill, but still have accelerator pedal inputs treated normally, because EAP is a little too hard on the brake/accelerator IMO. Enabling a range of follow distances instead of a single follow distance could also help with this.

I guess I’m the only person who’s going to reply no. It’s not worth $5,000 imo. All it does is maintain your lane. The system is still erratic when anything other than two well defined lines exist. On/off ramps, tight curves, rides too close to Semi trucks, random false positives on the forward radar, doesn’t read signs only relies on google for speed limits, the list continues.

AP needs a LOT of work for me to trust it. If I don’t trust it then I have to babysit the system at all times. What’s the difference between that and just driving the car? Personally I wish I had the option to disable the TACC after how many times the car has locked into a vehicle that wasn’t there resulting in me brake checking the person behind me. It’s just been blind luck that no one has rear ended me yet.

The only time I use it now is if no one is around me.