Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP uses different NN to Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a 2017 P100D Model S with "Full Self Driving" - BAHAH! I struggled with AP2 during its infancy with phantom braking and all the usual complaints. Usually when passing a car or truck, it would suddenly slam the brakes on which is very disconcerting.

Needless to say, when I changed to Model 3, I opted not to go for anything other than "regular" autopilot. I was massively surprised at the difference of AP on Model 3 - basically the "dumb" version performed flawlessly.

Last night, I got tempted by auto-lane change, so upgraded to EAP... then went for a 100 mile drive that I do regularly on AP with no troubles. Lo and behold, I experienced some major phantom braking.

Does the upgrade switch over the NN and logic used - I'm not using NoA here, just plain ol' AP - but it seems the mere act of upgrading to EAP has forced me back into phantom braking territory.

Any thoughts/facts/evidence? I'm about to ask for a refund, since I can't be bothered risking safety and comfort through braking incidents when before the upgrade things were just fine. I'd rather have smooth AP than auto-lane change.

Same neural network, but different logic that uses inputs from NN. Would be a shame to get a refund a few weeks away from an upgrade that fixes phantom braking. Not saying that is going to happen, just a shame if it does.
What happens if you disable EAP? Does phantom braking go away? There is no phantom braking if you are trailing / tracking a car. Are you sure that isn't the difference?

I would turn off NoA (if on), and see what happens. I personally have to turn off NoA in places because it gets confused, and thinks I should be taking an exit so it slows down to get over.

If turning off NoA doesn't fix it I'd ask for a refund.

In any case it would make for a compelling test. Where someone tested an identical HW3 Model 3 with EAP (or FSD) against a HW3 Model 3 with only basic AP. Where the test was at least 500 miles of various highways/freeways.

I think the issue happens because EAP enables cut-in detection... speculation, but I remember there being chatter about this at the time.

Basically, my debugging instincts are telling me: it looks for indicators and a gentle move to the right (in the UK) and tries to predict if someone is going to cut-in to your path. Since lanes are narrow in the UK and lane discipline is *not a thing* here, AP just can't handle it so you get a lot of braking if you're passing someone who's wandering slightly to the right.

It's worse for lorries - in some light conditions, the orange tint to the lights on the back of their cabs can look like it's blinking as you pass (because it gets obscured and revealed a few times by the metal work of the trailers). To be fair, it does look a bit like they're indicating, but I can't have the brakes slam on every time I pass a lorry in the dark or in some sunny conditions that cause reflections.

NoA is definitely off... it really doesn't work in the UK (suggests dangerous/pointless lane changes all the time, requires manual confirmation anyway) - I remember all this from my Model S with NoA, and was very disappointed with it - it doesn't seem to have got better at all.

Even auto-lane change on dumb AP is pretty useless because of the 5-second window thing (i.e it aborts and swerves back if it hasn't completed the lane change within 5 seconds). I was hoping it would help me out on a few long-drives but... it doesn't.

Requesting refund...

Reactions: DanCar
Yep - sorry - Auto Lane Change on EAP. I’m surprised that the simple addition of Auto Lane Change (which my hazy memory tells me the original MobileEye autopilot had back in the day - which is where I fell in love with autopilot originally) has such a negative impact on the experience/performance of “basic” autopilot.

Shame - in the UK I doubt we’ll see FSD for a very long time, and it seems like all dev progress has stopped on regular autopilot and NoA whilst they focus on FSD (understandably)