Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP versus FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's going to be awhile before Tesla releases any significant FSD features. Roi will be limited for awhile.

I'm also not sure fsd will actually offer full autonomy - ever. But for those of you who want fsd regardless, I'd say buy it now. Once Tesla starts releasing features, odds are good that the cost will go up (the original autopilot increased in price twice in 2ish years before being scrapped for hw2). And that's before including the $1k after purchase "penalty".

And if you've already purchased it, Tesla will likely be obligated to free upgrade or refund the cost if fsd doesn't achieve full self driving like their website explicitly stated it will. So there's that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
The price of EAP + FSD is really a bridge too far. But, according to Tesla, EAP only works for parking and expressway driving. That leaves most of the autopilot features for FSD only, making EAP a very bad buy. Tesla is being extremely cryptic and somewhat deceptive about all this. If there are ANY states that require regulatory approval before the sale of a Tesla with FSD, it is only one or two. So this regulatory approval stuff is mostly nonsense.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and EinSV
The price of EAP + FSD is really a bridge too far. But, according to Tesla, EAP only works for parking and expressway driving. That leaves most of the autopilot features for FSD only, making EAP a very bad buy. Tesla is being extremely cryptic and somewhat deceptive about all this. If there are ANY states that require regulatory approval before the sale of a Tesla with FSD, it is only one or two. So this regulatory approval stuff is mostly nonsense.
Right now enabling FSD gives you exactly zero features above EAP. All autopilot features are included with EAP (other than the few safety features, which are enabled regardless of EAP or FSD).

Right now enabling FSD gives you exactly zero features above EAP. All autopilot features are included with EAP (other than the few safety features, which are enabled regardless of EAP or FSD).
So you are saying that the totality of autopilot features available on the M3 is for expressway driving and parking; and that cost $5000?

I'm definitely getting EAP but if I'm reading this correctly all of EAP feautures are not currently enabled such as auto lane change, auto on/off ramp, and self-park. Whereas, no features of FSD are currently enabled. Wondering when the additional EAP features will be enabled?

If it weren't for the extra $1000 to unlock it later it wouldn't even be an issue - I would just save up for a year or so and then unlock it. Gives me something to look forward to. But knowing that I'm paying an extra $1000 to do that makes the cheap part of my brain hurt.

If you know you will get it for sure later, but worried about the extra $1000, just get your M3 in black and call it a day. There's your $1000 savings. :p

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
If you know you will get it for sure later, but worried about the extra $1000, just get your M3 in black and call it a day. There's your $1000 savings. :p
I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about it - I'm just cheap and it bugs me to know that I'm choosing to spend an extra $1000 on something. Not to mention I can't do black when the blue and midnight silver are so amazing looking.

I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about it - I'm just cheap and it bugs me to know that I'm choosing to spend an extra $1000 on something. Not to mention I can't do black when the blue and midnight silver are so amazing looking.

Heh, I wish the smiley at the end of the post was bigger. I totally meant the entire reply to be a joke. And I'm right there with you being cheap. I've already talked myself into the Aero wheels, and I am seriously contemplating waiting on EAP just because I'm concerned about how much I would ever really use it. I've pretty much talked myself out of it this way: I'm buying this kick-ass car that people are raving over performance-wise, why the hell wouldn't I want to drive it! Further, my mind keeps telling me that if I DO save the money now, and down the road after several updates it really does turn into something too cool, I could always revisit this argument with myself at that point. :)

Heh, I wish the smiley at the end of the post was bigger. I totally meant the entire reply to be a joke. And I'm right there with you being cheap. I've already talked myself into the Aero wheels, and I am seriously contemplating waiting on EAP just because I'm concerned about how much I would ever really use it. I've pretty much talked myself out of it this way: I'm buying this kick-ass car that people are raving over performance-wise, why the hell wouldn't I want to drive it! Further, my mind keeps telling me that if I DO save the money now, and down the road after several updates it really does turn into something too cool, I could always revisit this argument with myself at that point. :)
Lol, I'm in the same boat. I've already talked myself into the $9,000 battery upgrade (really, $5250 considering I would probably miss out on half the tax credit if I waited for the base model) on top of the premium package (which has way too many things I want to ever be optional). I've just about talked myself into the aero wheels (I mean, extra range, more comfort, and they don't look "that bad").

With the amount of time I spend in rush hour traffic, EAP would be really nice. But I'd rather pay for it in cash in the future...

My hopes of including EAP in my car are starting to die...
I was just calculating the impact to monthly payments by adding/removing EAP and it just doesn't seem worth it...even messing around with terms and such... at least for now... for me. So sad.
It will be worth it when all vehicles have it from other manufacturers will have the equivalent since it will greatly improve traffic smoothness. As for now, it's a great option if you do over 1 h commuting regularly. It increases security in case you fall asleep or lose concentration if you worked over 24 hours straight.

It will be worth it when all vehicles have it from other manufacturers will have the equivalent since it will greatly improve traffic smoothness. As for now, it's a great option if you do over 1 h commuting regularly. It increases security in case you fall asleep or lose concentration if you worked over 24 hours straight.

No it doesn't! Look at one of the many EAP threads on the Model S subform. False positives are way too likely right now, resulting in sudden breaking, avoiding obstacles that aren't there, or steering in wrong directions.

Some good examples from current EAP users can be found here: So SilkySmooth never happened now waithing on SomethingSpecial

The way EAP works right now, I wouldn't engage it when I'm tired. At all! EAP has to be treated like (slightly improved) TACC plus lane departure warning. Never take your hands off the wheel, keep alert at all times and don't engage it, if you are tired. You will just fall asleep more quickly.

No it doesn't! Look at one of the many EAP threads on the Model S subform. False positives are way too likely right now, resulting in sudden breaking, avoiding obstacles that aren't there, or steering in wrong directions.

Some good examples from current EAP users can be found here: So SilkySmooth never happened now waithing on SomethingSpecial

The way EAP works right now, I wouldn't engage it when I'm tired. At all! EAP has to be treated like (slightly improved) TACC plus lane departure warning. Never take your hands off the wheel, keep alert at all times and don't engage it, if you are tired. You will just fall asleep more quickly.
I've read through some of the posts and they are very troubling. I really want the features of EAP but now am unsure if I will purchase that option. Especially if it's as "glitchy" as some of the MS posts describe.

I've read through some of the posts and they are very troubling. I really want the features of EAP but now am unsure if I will purchase that option. Especially if it's as "glitchy" as some of the MS posts describe.

Get it. They've done an incredible job getting hw2 to be stable and have done it faster than when they released hw1. At this rate, in less than a year, it will be rock solid. I'm not wasting 2k to buy eap and fsd later.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Acps110

I'm getting EAP, but I won't pay for FSD. A car is a long term investment and while progress on EAP is slow, it is useful now and it will improve over time. I don't know where @SlicedBr3ad has his info about EAP progress from, though. Most EAP owners complain about there not being any progress right now, so IDK. My AP1 works fine, but that's MobileEye tech, so who knows when Tesla has cached up.

I'm getting EAP, but I won't pay for FSD. A car is a long term investment and while progress on EAP is slow, it is useful now and it will improve over time. I don't know where @SlicedBr3ad has his info about EAP progress from, though. Most EAP owners complain about there not being any progress right now, so IDK. My AP1 works fine, but that's MobileEye tech, so who knows when Tesla has cached up.

Ap1 development progress in 2015 and ap2 development progress in 2017. Ap2 is doing better than ap1 at the same time of in its development (~1 year in) if you look at various posts from 2015 and now. I don't have specific links so take This info with a grain of salt but remember that ap1 wasnt rock solid in 2015.