Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP versus FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of discussion (and varied opinions) on the board about whether the cost of EAP and FSD are worth it. Some have argued that although EAP's functionality is just now getting back to where it was, that over-the-air improvements will continue to be pushed out moving it much closer to being "fully autonomous" driving capable. Thus, $5K may be steep for the current version, but well worth it considering the anticipated improvements. Others talk about how the extra $3K for FSD is worth the cost because although you are getting nothing out of it now and regulatory approval for fully autonomous driving could be a ways off, Tesla will start pushing out these same sort of software updates incrementally over time to those individuals who plunk down the $3K for FSD. So which is it, will improvements be pushed to those that buy EAP or just those that pay for FSD? Asked another way, will the benefits of FSD be incremental, or nothing until FSD is fully government approved?

In my opinion, EAP is worth it because you actually get an immediate benefit. Just the TACC alone is worth it to me, as I drive in bumper to bumper traffic several times a week.

FSD is a crapshoot - no one really knows what you are going to get or when you will get it. I'm of the opinion that the feature set will very slowly start to deviate from EAP but still have the same requirements of the driver of being aware and ready to take over at all times - at least for the foreseeable future.

EAP is great. With how little driving I do, I find myself more and more frustrated at other people's inability to drive safely. When I have EAP turned on (I've done several Tesla test drives), my stress reduces dramatically.

FSD is a completely different beast, and I think that it has tremendous benefit, though without knowing how soon it's coming, and with as little as I do drive, I'm not sure that there is a benefit to it for me.

Now, by the time my Model Y gets delivered, I'll be doing a lot more driving again, and I'll be much more inclined to purchase FSD.

EAP is great. With how little driving I do, I find myself more and more frustrated at other people's inability to drive safely. When I have EAP turned on (I've done several Tesla test drives), my stress reduces dramatically.

EAP is the bee's knees. It makes a huge difference knowing that the car will keep a safe speed and stay in line with no input from you.

So which is it, will improvements be pushed to those that buy EAP or just those that pay for FSD? Asked another way, will the benefits of FSD be incremental, or nothing until FSD is fully government approved?
No one outside of Tesla knows the answer to that question, and it is possible that even top level Tesla management cannot answer that question yet.

But feel free to speculate...

I just feel like EAP and FSD are the most Tesla-ish upgrades you can get for your new Tesla.
I'm even choosing to get standard battery partly so I can more easily justify EAP.

I totally get that sentiment. Although living with my Leaf's battery anxiety has me dead set on the long range. Unfortunately that puts me in a financial rock and a hard place. I just have to tell myself to get everything physical first and unlock the software when the money comes back (having a baby in Nov).

Reactions: Gtosnipey
I totally get that sentiment. Although living with my Leaf's battery anxiety has me dead set on the long range. Unfortunately that puts me in a financial rock and a hard place. I just have to tell myself to get everything physical first and unlock the software when the money comes back (having a baby in Nov).
I'm in the same boat (minus the baby :)). Getting a base model with EAP and PUP isn't a problem, and LR with PUP, while more than I was planning on spending, it's that big of a stretch either. But adding EAP on top of LR/PUP puts me past my comfort zone.

If it weren't for the extra $1000 to unlock it later it wouldn't even be an issue - I would just save up for a year or so and then unlock it. Gives me something to look forward to. But knowing that I'm paying an extra $1000 to do that makes the cheap part of my brain hurt.

My hopes of including EAP in my car are starting to die...
I was just calculating the impact to monthly payments by adding/removing EAP and it just doesn't seem worth it...even messing around with terms and such... at least for now... for me. So sad.

Reactions: alseTrick
I will wait to make a decision after 3rd party reviews, and private owner reports.

I'm way more concerned with the ability of the AEB system. How good is it?

Some reports are that the AEB at this point on AP2 cars is not great. But time changes things.

My thoughts:

EAP will continue to receive updates and improvement, however its scope will always be limited to on-ramp to off-ramp driving. So it will basically do what it does now, but will continue to improve in its implementation, perhaps with the exception of a few additions such as automatic lane-change/overtaking.

Enhancements to other autonomous driving features such as stoplight recognition, point-to-point driving, longer-distance summoning, etc, will all be a part of FSD, and those who purchased FSD may get the opportunity to try those features as they become available.

Most of my driving is on non-highway. How much value will I get out or EAP? If it was a $3000 add on I don't think I would be as hesitant, but $5000 is a lot for features I may hardly use?
It works on non-highway streets. If you are in stop and go traffic a lot I would say it's worth it. It not, you can pass. The good thing is that you can unlock it later for an additional $1k if you change your mind.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Most of my driving is on non-highway. How much value will I get out or EAP? If it was a $3000 add on I don't think I would be as hesitant, but $5000 is a lot for features I may hardly use?
This is where my thoughts are ...I'd really love the self park to have the car back into my garage and I'm only occasionally stuck in stop-n-go traffic. Otherwise I'm just not sure how much I'd use it. I wish I could add it on now and really get everything I wanted but it's adding like $100 or so per month to my estimated payments. The option to add it later with penalty is tempting but it's just going to have to wait for me.

For our Model X, we went with both EAP and FSD, basically I look at FSD the way I would look at a Kickstarter, I may or may not get something useful out of it. $3K on a $125K purchase, was worth it to me.

For our Model 3, I am likely to get EAP, but wait on FSD. Right now I am trying to figure out the exact $ and migration from our Leaf to a Model 3, depending on the ramp and the federal credit (need it to be in 18, can not be in 17, etc), we may do LR, we may not do LR, will probably do premium and EAP, especially if not doing LR.

-Harry

• Love
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Take $3,000 and invest it into $tsla today, and buy yourself FSD and EAP in 3-5 years when it is ready and still have money to spare.

The nice thing about doing that is that if Tesla comes out with a real self driving mode, then the stock will be way up. If the stock is down then it's probably because self driving is a flop and you don't want it anyway.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
I love Tesla, but I'm not going to pay for features that have not yet been completely revealed unless there is a huge benefit in doing so, which there really isn't. Also, we don't know how long it's going to take before it's here. I will gladly pay the full cost of FSD when it arrives and is fully functional. It's not like you can't get it later.

In my opinion, the only reason to get FSD is if you're extremely worried that you won't be able to afford it when it's announced, or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Reactions: PrGrPa