Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP vs FSD number of cameras used for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Just got my invite and was looking at the config page options for EAP vs FSD. On the Model S page there is a fairly extensive description of each that mentions opting in to FSD gets you access to all 8 cameras (eventually :rolleyes: ). So I was contemplating ordering the option on my 3 just for the additional sensors, not so much actual self driving.

1244EB84-2C28-4732-93B1-A623DB9FEC23.jpeg

But, the 3 config page is much less detailed, and doesn’t talk about the sensors used.

D17B5829-3B11-4CE3-9CB6-AE287F74367E.jpeg

So now I am wondering if there is still a 4 camera difference between the two options on the 3. (I have learned you should never assume anything with Tesla)

Hopefully more info comes out by the time the AWD cars are available.

I know the Model S/X description of EAP vs. FSD specifies only 4 vs. 8 active cameras, but I think if EAP is going to need at least 6-8 cameras if it's ever going to be implemented as described. In order to safely execute autonomous lane changes for purposes of overtaking a slower vehicle, I think it's going to need at least the rear facing side cameras. Without rear radar, relying on only the rear wide angle camera to estimate range and speed of rear traffic would be unreliable at best. Combining the rear camera with one of the rear facing side cameras would give it stereo vision and allow for much more accurate of vehicle range and speed.

The cameras are installed either way. I'd hold off on FSD and add it on later when (if) it becomes truly available.

Yeah, I go back and forth. Tesla does not keep after the fact upgrades available forever, as I recently discovered with our 2015 P85D and the L upgrade. If I pony up at purchase, I lock in the price against future price hikes (something Tesla has done with AP), but I also could end up paying $3k for a whole lot of nothing if they figure out significant hardware upgrades are required and decide to move forward without upgrading prior customer cars (also something they have done with AP).