Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP vs FSD upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No immediate benefits, as I understand, but it's not clear if any of the upcoming features, like traffic light recognition would be made available to EAP subscribers later this year. Probably not.
And some more advanced FSD features may require a computer upgrade (HW3.0), in which case FSD customers are expected to get it free of charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmer
If you don't buy FSD:
  • You will get Advanced Summon when it's released as part of the EAP package.
  • You will keep all existing features you have

If you buy FSD:
  • You will receive the hardware 3.0 computer swap for free
  • You will get 'Automated driving in the city' when it's released.
  • You will also get traffic light and stop sign recognition when it's released.
  • There might be other FSD features that are not specified yet
kGamnw2.png

What is the source of that graph? I ordered a "new inventory" Model S with EAP that is being delivered this week. Given that it had EAP before Feb 28th, does that mean that it will include FSD as well??

Tesla sales reps have not been able to answer my questions about what the cost (if any) is for FSD either before or after I take possession of the car...

If you buy FSD:
  • You will receive the hardware 3.0 computer swap for free
  • You will get 'Automated driving in the city' when it's released.
  • You will also get traffic light and stop sign recognition when it's released.
  • There might be other FSD features that are not specified yet
I was told by the CS person in telephone sales that buying FSD for my AP2 car will get me a new AI chip swapped in for the old one. She specifically said that Tesla will not provide a "HW3.0 computer swap."

1. Is there another "computer" besides the MCU — i.e., where does the new Tesla-designed AI chip go?
  2. Won't a person with AP2 who upgrades to FSD still be left with an old, slow nVidia-based MCU?
  3. Aren't some of the forward-looking cameras different in AP2 and AP2.5? They will not be upgrading those.

@milleron,

1. The media control unit and the Autopilot computer are different computers. They will swap your Autopilot computer. It looks like this. The salesperson is wrong. They will definitely swap the entire Autopilot computer and not just a chip on the computer. Here, here and here Elon talked about swapping the computer.
2. Yes, the media control unit will remain the same.
3. Yes, the cameras in AP2.0 are different than AP2.5. It is unknown at this time whether FSD buyers with HW2.0 will have the cameras swapped too to make them identical to HW2.5 and HW3.0.

What is the source of that graph?

The source for the middle fork in my chart is this table. It was emailed by a store employee to forum member @jonotastic just before 11 March 2019. See message #25 and #32 here. However, there has been some backtracking on Tesla's part. On 11 March, Tesla announced that they will increase the prices again on 18 March. I guess the price increase meant a change of heart for the free stuff. However, here in this table, you can see that EAP orders undelivered on 28 Feb were supposed to get free FSD.

hcCcKWu.jpg

I was just told that it would cost $3K to upgrade from EAP to FSD before delivery, then $3500 for the next 60 days, and then $4K after that. And that EAP includes all capabilities the car has today, but that FSD will include upgrading to the new hardware and new capabilities in the future. And, I believe the car has 2.5 hardware now (built in May 2018).

Any opinions on whether it's worth the $3K to upgrade now?

...$3K to upgrade now?

Does your personal Tesla account web page still say that price?

The price has been "normalized" if owners didn't click to buy from your own account page last day on Wednesday, 03/20/2019.

It's a bargain post-delivery price for EAP:

1) TACC (current 2019 Autopilot and EAP feature)
2) AutoSteer (current 2019 Autopilot and EAP feature)
3) Auto Lane Change (EAP/FSD feature, not 2019 AP)
4) AutoPark (EAP/FSD feature, not 2019 AP)
5) Summon (EAP/FSD feature, not 2019 AP)

I would grab it before there's another price change.

I'm still pre-delivery, so my account page is just asking for my insurance and financing info...

I've confirmed that the car already has EAP, and therefore has all the features listed above today. Only question is whether to pay the extra $3K for the future FSD features (e.g. computer upgrade, 'Automated driving in the city', etc.)....

@milleron,

1. The media control unit and the Autopilot computer are different computers. They will swap your Autopilot computer. It looks like this. The salesperson is wrong. They will definitely swap the entire Autopilot computer and not just a chip on the computer. Here, here and here Elon talked about swapping the computer.
2. Yes, the media control unit will remain the same.
3. Yes, the cameras in AP2.0 are different than AP2.5. It is unknown at this time whether FSD buyers with HW2.0 will have the cameras swapped too to make them identical to HW2.5 and HW3.0.

You might also add:

4. The radar unit is different in HW2.5
5. There is redundancy in the steering mechanism in HW2.5
6. There is additional wiring in the wiring harness in HW2.5
7. Maybe the HW3.0 cars now being built have differences from HW 2.5

Reactions: Troy
I was on the phone to my delivery team in Tampa, FL today and along with my due bill stating an upgrade to FSD (car ordered before 2/28/19 and delivered after 2/28/19 with EAP) they confirmed to me that the upgrade would be free. I expect the upgrade to include the hardware as well as the software updates. I am happy that I read this thread as I can see exactly what the delivery team was referencing about the document they were reading to me that determines the eligibility to upgrade. I have owned Tesla’s since Feb. 2013 (haven’t driven any other car since) upgrading to the new tech every so often. I got lazy for a while not keeping an eye on the forums but am very happy to get back in the habit. So much useful info on this site! Took delivery of a 2019 extended range 100D with the sunroof.

The source for the middle fork in my chart is this table. It was emailed by a store employee to forum member @jonotastic just before 11 March 2019. See message #25 and #32 here. However, there has been some backtracking on Tesla's part. On 11 March, Tesla announced that they will increase the prices again on 18 March. I guess the price increase meant a change of heart for the free stuff. However, here in this table, you can see that EAP orders undelivered on 28 Feb were supposed to get free FSD.

hcCcKWu.jpg
So NOBODY had the FSD free upgrade, Correct or not?