Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Vs FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering I am considering either EAP Vs FSD how many users here have either and what do you think about them, is it worth it, does FSD work well here in NZ, also if I get EAP for 6k and decide to get FSD do I need to pay another to to upgrade or slush out 11k?

Thank you to everyone who responds

In NZ, at this stage, EAP and FSD are basically the same feature wise. The only thing EAP doesn't have that the FSD package does is that it won't stop at traffic lights, which I haven't found to be that much of an issue since I don't often have Autopilot engaged in places around traffic lights.

I've had EAP for just over two years now and I've found it to be worth the money I paid for it, and I was reminded of that this week when I had a loan car that didn't have it. It makes changing lanes on the motorway less of a chore since you no longer need to turn off AP to do the move and then re-engage again once in the lane. I also use "dumb park" and "dumb summon" when I have the car parked in a tight spot - saves having to squeeze between your door and the car next to you. Smart summon isn't overly useful currently, although it does alright in my work car park and I use it whenever it's raining so the car comes to the front door and I don't get wet :) Smart summon should be getting a major upgrade in the near future once it moves over to the V11 stack.

If you later decide that you want to upgrade from EAP to the FSD package, then the cost to upgrade to FSD is reduced by the amount you paid for EAP.

Reactions: m3lol and montybhai
If want autonomy and peace of mind, FSD.... you get everything available always.. when traffic signals look like only difference, there are highlighted car location And many tiny things differently done based on reading comments here. However traffic signals are very important detection in autonomy...

I used FSD since day 1, wouldn't settle for anything less...love it... However imperfect it is, it makes Tesla car Tesla, without EAP and FSD cars are like bumper cars at amusement parks ;)

PS: What a nightmare TMC app became... finally had to come to computer to modify and make this post readable...

I have FSD, the only advantage over EAP is the locked in price
Stopping at traffic lights is not worth the price difference imo

Regarding the stuck at 50%
I had the same issue with updating 2022.44.2. It appeared to be stuck at 50% or ages. I think it may have already downloaded and actually verifying the update.

It eventuality continued and installed

Regarding the stuck at 50%
I had the same issue with updating 2022.44.2. It appeared to be stuck at 50% or ages. I think it may have already downloaded and actually verifying the update.
Yep, every update pauses for a bit at the halfway point, so it must be unzipping & verifying/localising the base package then proceeding to down more stuff depending on car config or something. Maybe integrating the cars own security certificate into the downloads?

Just to confirm, you can add eap and fsd after purchase right?

I've just got the base M3 now (pick up next week :D), but kept it low to get the rebate. I'm super keen to get FSD though in the future.
Yes, it's just a software update to enable, better to get the rebate and add what ever you want later
I think you can get EAP and later pay the difference to upgrade to FSD as well

With the focus on FSD beta in the US it's unlikely anything will be happening with current EAP and FSD stack for a while
So hopefully no price increases, but you never know what could happen with the holiday software update
Or even there is going to be one this year

Ok just my two cents of owning EAP:

Auto park: I took it to my local warehouse, Lyall bay wellington and tested the auto park feature, out of four attempts it failed once (pretty good), decided to go a third of the way and stopped, also have noted that when it is raining the auto park does not want to work as it says that the weather conditions are bad to operate in.

I would give it 4/5

Enhanced autopilot: on a nice Sunny day traveled from Maupuia to Wainuiomata. Worked well except it picked out a ghost car and just braked out of no where, felt scared, it took the exit off to Lower Hutt alright by it self, was other wise fine.

I would give it 3.5/5

Auto lane change: this worked very well. Except for the idiot in the new mini (BMW drivers right?) begging me who decided to overtake me in the last minute, the warning worked well and I was able to pull out from the auto lane change in time.

I would give it 5/5

Summon: it just works, however keep in mind if you are parking in your garage using summon it will give about 50 cm from the back wall

I would give it 4.5/5

Auto summon:

Again tried it at a near empty car park at Lyall bay warehouse (my Tesla testing ground) this is a hit and miss thing and I would be very careful with using this, it has a 50/50 pass rate.

I would give it 2.5/5

Overall I would give EAP a 3.5/5 the features are good but they need work.

Let me know what you all might think about your EAP features?

I only use smart summon in low traffic car parks where there's not likely to be other cars driving around at the same time. In that scenario, Smart Summon is much more capable. Once it gets the same V11 stack that is being used by FSD Beta in the US its capabilities should improve a lot.

When you say Enhanced Autopilot I assume you mean Navigate on Autopilot. One of the downsides of NoA is that it makes Autopilot try to be "smarter" on the motorways, which means it will try to let cars in at onramps. The problem is that it seems the mapping of where onramps are seems to be a bit iffy. If you're around an on ramp and you're in the right lane, adjacent to the left lane that an onramp will merge onto it will often assume that the left lane is part of the onramp and brake for any car that is in the left lane, aggressively in some cases. This isn't just a NZ thing as I've seen similar reports from the US. Again though, hopefully with the move to the V11 stack where things are less reliant on what the maps says and more what the sees, this should resolve itself.