Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP was removed [ car purchased third party ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you provided proof of ownership did you select "private party purchase" or "3rd party dealership".
I dont think they have the right to remove anything from the vehicle. There have been threads on this.

UPDATE 2020/02/13: Alec says that after some more messaging back and forth with Tesla reps – and after his case got a tonne of media exposure – the company’s restored his vehicle’s Full Self Driving and Enhanced Autopilot, citing its initial removal as “a miscommunication.” However, Tesla has yet to issue an official comment on its feature removal policy.

Sounds like you need to raise a little hell.
I had no idea this was happening to others. Very cool. I might just raise some hell. Thanks guys.

Purchased a used Tesla with EAP. Features were amazing! Then Tesla completed my ownsership transfer and removed EAP. Contacted Tesla support and Tesla stated that yes it was indeed removed but due to policy they cannot add EAP back and I would need to purchase FSD package which is 10k. Wth...The reason buying this from a third party was because of the EAP. Tesla support asked for a receipt of my EAP purchase. I cannot provide that information as I did not purchase this vehicle new. I'm sure there is something Tesla can do. Anyone else experience any issues with support?

Attachments

• 36FA6720-6DF5-4C8F-A03B-C6D8CC806F60.jpeg
    36FA6720-6DF5-4C8F-A03B-C6D8CC806F60.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 152
Before transfer of ownsership they enabled mobile support for me and it had enhanced auto pilot as purchased. Now all I have under purchase is Autopilot.

No one is disputing that it was in your app. If it was never paid for by the original owner, it could have still be on the car without being paid for. Also, if the was traded into tesla, then sold (meaning they were the owner at some point) they had the right to remove it as owner of the vehicle.

Im still hoping to hear the answers to my questions to you near the beginning of this thread.

=====================================

You say you bought this "third party"... who exactly did you buy it from? If you bought it from a private party person, have them send you proof that EAP was purchased with their vehicle.

If you bought it from a third party dealer, who advertised the car as having EAP, then go back to that dealer. Tesla "usually" only removes EAP when it either was never purchased and wasnt supposed to be there in the first place (the original owner had a free trial that never expired or something) or, the car was traded into tesla at some point and they removed EAP and then sent the car to auction.

So, where did you buy it (from what dealer), what was advertised as coming with it, etc?
====================================

Last edited:
Give them proof (window sticker, mvpa) showing the eap of it. This might be found in tesla account
If it’s on the window sticker, does that mean it was installed? When I got my P100D from a third party the window sticker said it had Ludicrous Mode but it wasn’t on the vehicle. I contacted Tesla and they claimed the original owner had Ludicrous mode removed(for a refund I assume). And I would have to wait until they offered it again as an upgrade(which I’ve since heard they’re never going to do), I was pretty let down because I wanted Ludicrous mode and it’s why I purchased that particular car. Tesla rep said “even insane+ is faster than a Lambo so what’s the big deal?” ‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: Takeoverinc
Tesla used to give free EAP trials (2 weeks) to owners who asked. I've done it in past. If Tesla still does this, an unscrupulous used car dealer could ask for it and an unsuspecting buyer could be convinced it was included in the car. I'm guessing this is not the case here and likely just a misunderstanding. What surprises me is that Tesla would make a 2nd owner jump through hoops when they have the info readily at hand whether the particular car has EAP or FSD previously purchased.

If EAP or FSD was taken away upon ownership transfer, then the value of those packages becomes a whole lot lower as it would have zero resale benefit. Once paid, those features should always follow the car with the exception if at some point the car becomes legal property of Tesla in which case they have the right to remove, leave alone, or add software as they see fit.

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from. The car is now missing an advertised feature that you paid for. It probably isn't their fault, but as the SELLER, they have to make it right, or at least get involved.

100% agree that Tesla should NOT be removing features that have already been paid for (assuming this one was paid for). Until that practice is made illegal, we have to deal with it.

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from. The car is now missing an advertised feature that you paid for. It probably isn't their fault, but as the SELLER, they have to make it right, or at least get involved.

100% agree that Tesla should NOT be removing features that have already been paid for (assuming this one was paid for). Until that practice is made illegal, we have to deal with it.

Usually, this is either a mistake (car got flagged in their system as not supposed to have EAP) or because the car had EAP but never paid for it. Usually its the later, in fact.

Thing is, its still a grey area because the feature can be turned on or off in an OTA update. Even if the car "isnt supposed to have it" many people feel like it should stay. This grey area is one reason why I bought physical books for so long, instead of digital books on kindle or something.

I had one of the disney little mermaid VHS tapes with the..ahem... body part... on the cover back in the day. Disney wouldnt be able to come to my house and make me give it back to them, even if they were going to exchange it for another one without that body part on it.

If digital purchases were a thing then, they would have just revised the art on the digital cover, whether someone wanted it or not.

Teslas exist in this in between space, where one of the things that makes them great (always getting updates, getting new features OTA) also makes this exact thing "a thing".

We will likely find out that either the OP ends up getting this back if he can prove it was purchased (unlikely) or that the car was never supposed to have it in the first place (much much more likely). That doesnt mean the OP isnt out some cash for choosing this car, thinking it had EAP though. Its a weird grey area, and tesla should just leave it alone, in my opinion, but i know why they do it.

• Love
Download your post-purchase add on receipts folks.
If I ever sell mine private party my EAP and FSD receipts will be on the top of the stack of paperwork.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla move to all subscription models, no perpetual license at all. This is typical public for software companies because it boosts annual recurring revenue. My tech startup employer made this change last year in prep for an eventual IPO, it's key to the process. Argue all you want, it's all about revenue and stock prices.

• Love
If Tesla goes to a subscription model, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they did for the same reason already said, it is unlikely they can make this pricing model retroactive to existing cars. Issues at hand for the OP are:
  1. whether EAP was or wasn't originally purchased by a previous owner, and
  2. what the seller represented.
If it was purchased by a previous owner, then Tesla should just turn it back on. If it was never purchased by a previous owner then the seller should compensate the OP if in fact it was represented by the seller as an included feature.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Whatever happened to features staying with the vehicle?

I guess that’s only the case when convenient for Tesla? What do they expect to gain by operating like this?

All they are doing is pissing off existing and potential customers with this very obvious attempt at a cash-grab.

Tesla ALWAYS removes AP/FSD when they wholesale their vehicles. If you are buying from a dealer, you need to check how they got the car. Private party is safe.

The problem here is that Tesla doesn't remove the features right away, so we end up with this crappy situation where someone sees EAP and then it vanishes.

Tesla needs to delete EAP/FSD the same day that they offload the vehicle. This is just being lazy.

Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike
If it was purchased by a previous owner, then Tesla should just turn it back on. If it was never purchased by a previous owner then the seller should compensate the OP if in fact it was represented by the seller as an included feature.

Tesla offloads the car wholesale == low price. The dealer didn't pay for EAP, so it shouldn't be on the vehicle. The dealer either has no idea this is how it works or they intentionally misrepresented it. It's really an issue for the dealer to resolve.

I'v had a similar issue. I purchased a brand new '18 Model 3 and had issues at delivery. After some back and forth, they agreed to leave EAP turned on as a consolation for all my issues but they made it clear that if/when I ever sold the car, it would most likely get removed for the next owner.

When I listed that car for sale, I made the owner aware of it and sure enough, they removed EAP but did enable AP for them, which I thought was odd but an added bonus for the new buyer.

Might have been a similar situation here. During account changes, they do sometimes audit the vehicles options to compare them to what was sold with it and what's enabled. Maybe they caught EAP left on. Pretty crappy on the sellers part if they tried to make a quick buck on this knowing they had never paid for it.

on a completely separate side note, I have found that one of the worst parts about being a mod (vs being a regular user) on this site, is I can no longer put people on ignore when I dont want to see their content.

This isnt the OP I am talking about, though.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Download your post-purchase add on receipts folks.
If I ever sell mine private party my EAP and FSD receipts will be on the top of the stack of paperwork.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla move to all subscription models, no perpetual license at all. This is typical public for software companies because it boosts annual recurring revenue. My tech startup employer made this change last year in prep for an eventual IPO, it's key to the process. Argue all you want, it's all about revenue and stock prices.

If they make that change, I hope they envoy their future revenue from me changing from $65k every 3 years to nothing ever again.