Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved a MX90D a few days ago and am contemplating deactivating EAP. It drops my payment by roughly $80/month. My wife will be driving this car in about a 5 mile radius from our house with the kids. Just wondering if EAP is just a novelty that wears off quickly and is it really worth $2900 over the life of lease.

If you're just driving 5 local miles, right now, EAP doesn't give you much benefit. The primary benefit of EAP is going to be either for long monotonous highway drives (e.g. road trips), and for stop-and-go style commuting (e.g. the same 5 miles for my commute takes about 15-20 minutes during rush hour, and EAP allows me to basically supervise my car crawling along in traffic).

If you don't do either of those things, that's a lot of money to pay up front for something you sound like you won't be using a lot.

Personally, I feel $5k is high too, especially when all you're getting right now is smart cruise control and staying in lane. Even though I find those features useful on highway driving, I made a conscious decision to NOT purchase EAP yet on my recent order. Yes it cost $1k more when purchasing it later, but my hope is that they improve it over time, and also lower the price later....

Point of comparison.

We bought our Model S (2015) with AP1 (one camera, and later radar activated for driving, and ultrasonic systems, etc...) for 2500. After we bought, they later raised the price to 3000.

Now, AP2 comes with 8 cameras (and all the ultrasonics etc) for 5000.

So just in hardware, there is an 8 to 1 benefit for double the price.

For comparison:

Mercedes Benz (E-class) has a similar Driver Assistance system, bundled into their premium package options--you can only get them as an upgraded premium package. Base premium package (without any assistance packages) is 3700. To get equitable driver assistance, it is 10200.

So MB charges 6500 for their AP features.

BMW has a suite of Driver Assistance systems (5 series). To get something equitable to AP you have to get all three systems (They've actually simplified it a bit since last I checked).

The total for a comparable system is 4900.

I don't know the hardware details for the more current MB/BMW systems. But as we can all see, pricing is competitive with other competitors at this time.