TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EAP - would you miss it if you didn’t have it?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ponzu, Jun 22, 2018.

?

Would you get EAP all over again?

1. Yes, it has saved my life at least once

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Yes, its utility in bumper-to-bumper and when fatigued outweighs the quirks and is worth the price

33 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Yes, it’s a pain right now, but without it what’s the point of a Tesla?

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Yes, Tesla will get it right one day and I will not have to pay the extra $1000 to start enjoying it

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. No, I don’t use it as much as I thought I would

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. No, it doesn’t work and I don’t see how Tesla is going to fix it given safety concerns

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. No, the quirks and the nags are not worth it

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Yes, other

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  9. No, other

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. ponzu

ponzu Member

You are in a burning spaceship, and you are hoping the hull and electronics are more superior to the next best option, and will give you a chance at survival.

You ask if your chances are good.

Someone tells you: don't be in a burning spaceship.

You say: yes, I know, but are my chances better or worse than if I had not boarded this particular spaceship?

Something like that. We can go round and round about it.

I know I should not drive fatigued. Your motives in imploring me not to are noted. I just want to believe that if I have to drive fatigued, Tesla would take better care of me.

Actually, it was something I have been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting. I think I will start a thread.

• Like x 1
  2. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

Yes. Those are the two most important EAP features. And they are really big features. You can read more about it on the Tesla Web Site. I think some feel that because EAP (AP2 Cars) is pretty much the same as AP (AP1 Cars) that the "E" does not mean anything "yet". But, cars with EAP are expected to get the additional features of the "E" over time.

Another feature planned for EAP is On-ramp to Off-ramp.

Autopilot

• Helpful x 1
  3. ponzu

ponzu Member

Thank you. I should have just used AP in formulating my question. But as I pointed out, I am asking one question implying another.

Would you miss your AP? vs. Should I pay for EAP now?

I don't know if someone would answer "Yes, No".

4. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

I understand what you are asking. The better question might be are you safer driving with AP Enabled or not? Are you a better driver then AP? My accident record would indicate I am an excellent driver. Sometimes I believe I can do a better job then AP.

Recently I drove back from Las Vegas with my sons. I was driving one of my sons mini van without any driver assist. I was a bit tired and maybe not fully paying attention and the car moved to the left almost out of my lane where a car was coming and I caught it. But made me think that maybe I am not better because my Tesla is pretty rock solid in keeping me centered in my lane. Another time I was driving my Tesla (on AP) and a car in the lane next to me started to come into my lane. I noticed it and took control to make sure that car did not hit me. On the Tesla Web Site it states my car should avoid that but I am not sure it will at this point. So, what I am saying under ideal conditions my Tesla will drive between the lines perfectly better then I stay centered but sometimes maybe I should be in control. That said I have also learned the best places to use AP. Like in town where there are three lanes in my direction the center lane is the best since you have two lane lines on each side and no left/right turn lanes to deal with. On a freeway, driving in the HOV Lane where there is no room next to the wall makes me nervous. Hope that helps.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I think shadow braking is hit or miss. On my commute I have never had it happen, so I actually haven't encountered that issue at all in my 3. Some people are seeing daily. So I don't think it is affecting 100% of drivers or anything.

6. CameronB

CameronB Member

I listed the "E" stuff earlier. Re-quoting below with new bolding for emphasis

It took quite a while for AP2 to get to get to AP1 parity. Give or take, anyhow. Some will debate minor existing differences, but the general consensus is that they are roughly equal now.

We have "AP" but not yet any "E". But you can't buy AP without paying for the future promise of the "E". So EAP is just the name of AP now plus the promise of continuing development of the "E" part.

7. ponzu

ponzu Member

I believe I understand, but I am getting grief for asking about E AP when no E has been delivered. E is what I am paying for, so E is what I am asking about. I do see how the question contains a contradiction, but I believe people making clever comments also understand what I meant and just feel like being clever. If I could edit the original post and poll title, I would.

8. TJtv

TJtv Member

I believe I did answer that in my first response by saying "If anything, you need to be MORE alert when driving with EAP on that without it.".

I think EAP does a good job of preventing driving fatigue by allowing you to focus on the big picture and not worry have to worry about the minute details of steering/accelerator/brake/etc. But if you are already fatigued before you start the drive, I'd argue that driving with EAP on would be worse because it will lull you into a false sense of security and you'd be more likely to fall asleep and lose control.

• Like x 2
  9. CameronB

CameronB Member

I see what you are saying. Yeah, I think we all know EAP=AP now+promise of E in future. So anyone with AP 2/2.5 that has functioning auto pilot ordered "EAP" and so asking for people's experience with EAP seems about the same as asking for people's experience with AP until such time as there is anything worthwhile to discuss regarding new "E" features.

Anyway, judging by the poll results, I think you are getting the gist of what people are saying WRT whether they feel the EAP option is worth it or not.

10. ponzu

ponzu Member

This was a good chat. The car went through with EAP. July 2 delivery. Thanks to all!

• Like x 2
  11. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

You'll love it. It's one of my favorite features. Along with a half-dozen other favorite features of the car. :D

Just spend some time to figure out its limitations. I kind of think of it as driving with a 15 year old. Perfectly capable in many situations and a little worrisome in a few situations. Once you figure out which is which, you can really enjoy it.

• Like x 1
  12. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

I don't even have it yet and I miss it....I am tired of my daily commute on the highway through ATL and want some assistance with doing it daily.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. cab

cab Active Member

My own Model S doesn't have AP, but i have two friends (with Model Ses) that do have it. Both seem to really like the adaptive cruise control portion but the auto-steer is a bit less exciting (one uses it some, but the other never does). I've read similar comments from others here on TMC over the years. The pain point there is that adaptive cruise is available on lots of cars, and typically for thousands of dollars less than what Tesla charges for AP. Tesla's implementation of the adaptive cruise (aka TACC) may be better than some of those, but not sure if it is worth the delta.

I had a 100D loaner for a week and used AP quite a bit to get a feel for it. It was cool, but my use case is such that it wasn't that compelling and if someone said "would you write a check for $5K to get this added to your Model S right now?" I would really find it hard to justify it. Having said that, if I commuted in rush hour traffic every day, I might write that check in a second. Of course if there was a third option to just pay for adaptive cruise control (for say $1500) I might really land there....

14. Soda Popinski

Soda Popinski Member

Right there with you. I rented a Model 3 while on a business trip. Tried out EAP in what non-Los Angeles drivers consider "traffic" and really liked it. Back in stop and go in my Volt, counting the days until I get to configure.

15. eigenv1

eigenv1 Member

If your SO is a backseat driver, TACC is a necessity to avoid hearing the dreaded, “You’re coming up on that car quickly”.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

A real test for me was last week when my wife asked me to drive her vehicle in to work so that I could pick up a large piece of furniture. My facial expression was probably blank for 10 seconds as I considered my daily commute into and home from work without my car driving me? My reaction to her request and the reality of performing it taught me more about my value in something I didn't even have 2 months ago and that I hadn't fully appreciated just how much of a difference it really makes to me. Now I know... Priceless!

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. ponzu

ponzu Member

Gush on!

18. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

It is the pure reason I purchased this car. AP is great when you have long daily commutes. However, it is not perfect. I have experienced phantom braking about 2-3 times and it scared the crap out of me. I have since stopped using it at high speeds and only in stop and go traffic. I am hoping that they fix it in the update in August.

19. Chris350

Chris350 Member

Personally, I would of passed on the M3 without the EAP option....

I even went for the FSD option only because I love the whole "tech" concept....

I can't wait (for as long as it takes) for ANY FSD options to spring up.... I love testing new software... Bug's and all!

That's the real reason I'm into Tesla....

20. towndrunk

towndrunk Member

I would not have purchased a FSD ice car. I probably would have purchased a Tesla without it due to the performance, but definitely want one with both.