Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our model Y since June. Had a number of issues that have been fixed including misaligned trim, the back seat noise, loose amplifier, and a rock chip. One weird thing that the SC couldn't help with is ear pain my wife and I both have when in the car. Nobody there could experience it. I have a 3 and had an S before with no issues. I have been troubleshooting and narrowing down. I spent a lot of time on tailgate baffling and securing which seemed like it may have helped a little. I kept assuming it was driving and road noise related. Yesterday my wife decided to just sit in the Y with my sister and they noticed the ear pain with just the AC on. No driving. I just did the same and also experience. Its a mild pain in left ear for me tha takes a few minutes to notice and hangs around for maybe 15+ minutes after getting out. Wife changed the recirculate and the air out directions which seemed to affect the pain some. I ordered a wind noise kit yesterday but now seem to think that's not the issue. Live in Charlotte Nc, both of us are 40 which is much older than techs at SC. I have been trying to play with phone apps that measure noise frequency to see if that could be something but flying blind so far. Its frustrating because it seems so illogical. Any ideas? My wife wants to sell now which I am on board with if we cant figure it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Maric
We have had our model Y since June. Had a number of issues that have been fixed including misaligned trim, the back seat noise, loose amplifier, and a rock chip. One weird thing that the SC couldn't help with is ear pain my wife and I both have when in the car. Nobody there could experience it. I have a 3 and had an S before with no issues. I have been troubleshooting and narrowing down. I spent a lot of time on tailgate baffling and securing which seemed like it may have helped a little. I kept assuming it was driving and road noise related. Yesterday my wife decided to just sit in the Y with my sister and they noticed the ear pain with just the AC on. No driving. I just did the same and also experience. Its a mild pain in left ear for me tha takes a few minutes to notice and hangs around for maybe 15+ minutes after getting out. Wife changed the recirculate and the air out directions which seemed to affect the pain some. I ordered a wind noise kit yesterday but now seem to think that's not the issue. Live in Charlotte Nc, both of us are 40 which is much older than techs at SC. I have been trying to play with phone apps that measure noise frequency to see if that could be something but flying blind so far. Its frustrating because it seems so illogical. Any ideas? My wife wants to sell now which I am on board with if we cant figure it out.
I suspect it’s an increase in pressure. I’ve experienced a pressure increase sensation where I feel like I need to adjust my ears (for me it’s like a yawn). Doesn’t cause pain for me but it’s definitely happening. Perhaps the amount of air leave the cabin is less than the air being forced into the cabin.

As a pilot I can tell you the slight cabin air pressure change can cause your symptoms. Everyones threshold is different. However you stated that when the windows are down you think you still feel it. That would indicate it is not a pressure issue but rather a subsonic noise issue. But most subsonic noise issues will give you a headache, not an ear ache. I would like you to roll down all the windows and open the rear hatch and try it with your wife. If either of you still feel the sensation it is definitely NOT pressure. That will narrow it down quickly to noise. This is very puzzling.

Last edited:

Your guidance isn't fully clear above.

If it goes away with recirculate, it COULD be that one or both of your outflow valves are stuck closed (which is quite a remote possibility). This would increase the interior pressure a bit, sort of like pressurizing an aircraft at altitude. It is also somewhat akin to what the BioDefense mode does on a Model S or Model X (minus the closed outflow valves).

If you still have your Model S, or could sit in someone's recent Model S, try the BioDefense mode to see if hurts your ears. If so, then I would look around the area behind the sides of your rear bumper of your Model Y to see if, for some very odd reason, both of your outflow valves are somehow stuck in the closed position. (These are purely mechanical and are little flaps that allow the air to exhaust from the interior of the car.)

Otherwise, I'm baffled as to what is causing this issue for you, your wife, and your sister. This is very odd.

Reactions: OTARon
Thanks all for the replys so far. I am trying some of these, but probably need to be a little more scientific and space out more. It seems to take an hour for me to fully notice the symptoms are gone so need to break out the tests more.

I have Glock shooter ear protectors my wife and I tried. It seemed to prevent the pain, but for me its hard to tell because they are so tight they create some external ear discomfort.

My wife said turning off recirculate seems to help her, but I need to test.

I have noticed it seems that the air conditioner is much louder than in my model 3, but I had heard that is normal.

I went looking for the outflow valves and couldn't easily find information on them. I saw in the hitch install video by I1 that he ran hitch wiring through the vent in red below. The rubber looks so loose and the bumper cover such a pain to take off I may look into this more after more testing. while looking around I did notice that in the back passenger wheel well they didn't install 5 of 6 plastic nuts to secure the felt like material and appears another type of bolt is missing that is on the driver side. Just more signs that could point to the problem being the result of sloppy manufacturing in June.
upload_2020-9-7_11-59-15.png

Suspect that the hatch stops are not correctly adjusted...

Check your hatch... There is a lot of fuss about gaps on this and that but have you checked to see that your hatch rubber bumpers are all properly adjusted? If not the hatch can be a big source of noise and air pressure fluctuation in the cabin. A quick check... close a door briskly and observe the hatch to see any movement, or gently push down on a corner... there should be no movement if the bumpers are properly adjusted.

After the hatch hinges are set properly, back off all four of the adjustment feet and make sure that the latch engagement is smooth.

Once the hatch position and latch are set, use something to provide a transfer mark at each rubber contact point... I used blue tape and a smudge of anti-seize to witness transfer.

Close the hatch, then open it and see if the bumper actually mates up. If it does make contact, a witness mark will appear. Extend them all slightly and repeat.

Once you get contact at a bumper stop extending that one. Continue to extend the bumpers not making contact until all four are in contact. Add a quarter turn to each to finish.

The SC or mobile tech will do a quick bumper adjustment to get the hatch to resist movement or make up for a slightly misaligned hinge... there are four contact points and any two making contact will be better than one, or none but it takes a bit more time to meticulously set the hinges and set all of the bumpers. If you care...

I love this car
1f642.png
:)

Attachments

• IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 1,716
  • IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 1,570
  • IMG_5086.jpeg
    IMG_5086.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 1,696
Also maybe see if it happens in a different Y? Like maybe you could test drive one just to see if it's that specific car, especially since happening to 3 of you and hasn't happened to you in a 3 or S. Maybe it is some sort of weird noise the car is making. I get a weird pressure sensation in our X if I have 1 window open only so I have to open 2, but it sounded like you tried opening all the windows already.

Reactions: na5m and mswlogo

Check your hatch... There is a lot of fuss about gaps on this and that but have you checked to see that your hatch rubber bumpers are all properly adjusted? If not the hatch can be a big source of noise and air pressure fluctuation in the cabin. A quick check... close a door briskly and observe the hatch to see any movement, or gently push down on a corner... there should be no movement if the bumpers are properly adjusted.

After the hatch hinges are set properly, back off all four of the adjustment feet and make sure that the latch engagement is smooth.

Once the hatch position and latch are set, use something to provide a transfer mark at each rubber contact point... I used blue tape and a smudge of anti-seize to witness transfer.

Close the hatch, then open it and see if the bumper actually mates up. If it does make contact, a witness mark will appear. Extend them all slightly and repeat.

Once you get contact at a bumper stop extending that one. Continue to extend the bumpers not making contact until all four are in contact. Add a quarter turn to each to finish.

The SC or mobile tech will do a quick bumper adjustment to get the hatch to resist movement or make up for a slightly misaligned hinge... there are four contact points and any two making contact will be better than one, or none but it takes a bit more time to meticulously set the hinges and set all of the bumpers. If you care...

I love this car
1f642.png
Thanks I will try this method too. After the service was not help I spent a few hours doing strip of paper in each one to get them all aligned. Thst seemed to help. I would not be suprised if there are multiple things causing the issue at this point since we are having the issue even when parked. The hinges may also be a problem as even with the bumpers all the way out the hatch does not align with the bumper.

I love this car
1f642.png
Thanks for the different method. I used strips of paper at all 4 points and got them all touching. I think the problem is the hing is off. It visually looks like there is a spot they are supposed to be and its about half an inch. it doesnt seem like the seal is aligning well on the top. I drove around with the hatch completely open, windows, shut, and AC on seemed to help me. Wife is up next to try.

Attachments

• 20200907_195840.jpg
    20200907_195840.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1,853
maybe its not your ears but motion sickness? Ive read a numbest rof people are getting sick due to regeneration braking and associated sensations. I know you said you sat in the car and still had the pain - but that could be psychosomatic also.

It has to be either the cabin pressure or the motion or both.

OH additionally - a numbest rof people have had wavy distorted windshields which led them to get motion sickness - eye strain etc -- take a look at your windshield next time u get in the car.

Reactions: na5m
maybe its not your ears but motion sickness? Ive read a numbest rof people are getting sick due to regeneration braking and associated sensations. I know you said you sat in the car and still had the pain - but that could be psychosomatic also.

It has to be either the cabin pressure or the motion or both.

OH additionally - a numbest rof people have had wavy distorted windshields which led them to get motion sickness - eye strain etc -- take a look at your windshield next time u get in the car.
I don't think so, as OP said it happened even when he was just sitting in the car in the garage....

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am pretty sure hatch is one issue. I rode around with open one day with no issues.. Third time trying to type this up because page keeps crapping out. Used lotion to get bumpers right but could not get to seal good on top and bottom of hatch. I tried adjusting the hinges but they are sensitive to adjustment and really hard. Would need a jig to make easy to adjust. Next appointment is 3 weeks away and am considering just taking to trade for an ice. Every appointment has been 3+ weeks which adds insult to injury

Attachments

• 20200909_183737.jpg
    20200909_183737.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 1,797
  • 20200909_170849.jpg
    20200909_170849.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 1,640
  • 20200909_183744.jpg
    20200909_183744.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 1,583
  • 20200909_183737.jpg
    20200909_183737.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 1,551
  • 20200909_183731.jpg
    20200909_183731.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 1,689
In addition to the rubber flaps, search for "pressure buffeting" for the Model S and Model Y (basically the hatch moves up and down every so slightly whenever you hit a bump of any kind resulting in a pressure wave..some cars are worse than others and some people are much more sensitive to it than others).

I noticed this in a recent Model S loaner. It was annoying for sure. This video is probably redundant at this point, but it was a good explainer.