Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you share some pics of where you put it on the front wheel wells?

Looking in the frunk, I couldn't find a place where they were exposed enough like they are in the rear.
I haven't pulled the frunk out yet. When I first got my car I pulled the covers off of the exterior of the wheel wells and put butyl and sound foam in there. I can post pictures if people want to see.

I'm going to tackle the frunk side in a few weeks.

I haven't pulled the frunk out yet. When I first got my car I pulled the covers off of the exterior of the wheel wells and put butyl and sound foam in there. I can post pictures if people want to see.

I'm going to tackle the frunk side in a few weeks.

Ah OK. I assume you needed new retainer clips for the added depth.

Since I have the fabric wheel well sound-dampening stuff from Aliexpress I don't think I'll be adding butyl to the exterior front wheel wells. But that's probably the most effective place to put it.

Ah OK. I assume you needed new retainer clips for the added depth.

Since I have the fabric wheel well sound-dampening stuff from Aliexpress I don't think I'll be adding butyl to the exterior front wheel wells. But that's probably the most effective place to put it.
I used the original clips. It was a minor pain. Not sure how much improvement I got for this amount of work, but it was interesting and, dare I say, fun. Here are a couple pictures to give you the idea. This was the very first time I ever messed with butyl or acoustic foam.

Attachments

• PXL_20210620_181104324.jpg
    PXL_20210620_181104324.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 648
  • PXL_20210620_205147746.jpg
    PXL_20210620_205147746.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 174

Looking in the frunk, I couldn't find a place where they were exposed enough like they are in the rear.
Will do, need to go back for measurement and transfer photos.

They did it from the underside — took our wheel well trim and padded that way. Needed to take off the wheels to do it.

Here is one pic I got mid-way

Attachments

• 5CE66FE0-3A29-4EFF-BB45-3B6E831D5CA9.jpeg
    5CE66FE0-3A29-4EFF-BB45-3B6E831D5CA9.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Roof shade had a minimal impact for me (slightly less reflection of sound). The door seal kit was absolute garbage from a quality and improvement standpoint. Aside from making the door feel a bit more solid closing, they did not improve sound whatsoever. The roof gasket/seal did help my car; a noticeable decrease in wind/whistling noise near the roof line.
So you say that the roof gasket seal installation had a noticable impovement?
Interesting as a lot of people claimed that it didn't provide any improvement and some complained that it actually flew out on highway and such...

Interesting as a lot of people claimed that it didn't provide any improvement and some complained that it actually flew out on highway and such...
I think it all depends on the gaps between the glass and the frame. If they are small the improvement may not be noticeable. I have had zero issues with the band coming loose.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Have a link to the "sound blanket"?
I think any will do, and certainly you could fill the space with almost anything and get a real improvement, but nothing is likely to beat a sound blanket. That said it's kind of a lot of money for a heavy object that reduces the utility of your car, but if you're nuts like me I bought this one:

That + parcel shelf is really the only major gain to be had that I've found which doesn't require effort.

Added some pictures, sound measurements will come in a couple weeks when I go back for re-measurement. I think we took both A and C weighted SPL this time, so something to look forward to :)

Yes, I was skeptical but for my particular car I had a fairly uniform gap across all four edges. The rubber seal sits in nicely. Does it make the car sound like a well sound deadened luxury car? No, but for me it did kill the rushing sound I heard coming from the top of the car. For $20 or $30 it was worth it. YMMV depending on how well the roof glass tolerances are on your car.

I think any will do, and certainly you could fill the space with almost anything and get a real improvement, but nothing is likely to beat a sound blanket. That said it's kind of a lot of money for a heavy object that reduces the utility of your car, but if you're nuts like me I bought this one:

That + parcel shelf is really the only major gain to be had that I've found which doesn't require effort.
Interesting - I'd never heard of a sound blanket until now. I'll put it on my "maybe" list. Thanks.

Roof shade did not help me.

Rear wheel well butyl and foam did not help me.

Anyone try the other RPM noise reduction products? Insulated skid plated, wind noise reduction kit...
Model Y Noise reduction kits
I tried both the wind reduction kit that goes on the top like a band around the roof and the noise reduction kit.

1. Wind Noise - I see some improvement - also found that the roof gap was uneven (thinner in the front and larger in the back making it a bit hard to install.

2. Sound reduction kit - this was a bit low quality - it says it’s made for Model Y - but all that is just cut to size (some did not fully cover though it’s marked for specific doors) and the adhesion was not that great - you are better off just buying a roll and the Z strip for the fender gap pillar and installing it yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: dupeks and Noflash
I almost immediately put in the deep plastic mats inside the storage well, across the whole back hatch area and the soft OEM "fabric" is now covered. I am sure I'm not doing myself any favors here...has anyone here done any testing with rough road booming vs floor/hatch mat types?

Definitely worthless. I got the maxspider mats (for everywhere, including sub trunk which is a huge source of this noise) which are almost certainly the best out there, they have a layer of foam in them and supposedly have the best sound deadening properties of any mat out there. I then got a full trunk liner that is foam based as well. Covers the entire real of MY trunk, up the seat backs, even the walls and deep pockets left and right of trunk behind rear wheel wells. All of that together is a 0% improvement.

Fill the sub trunk with something substantial (like dense blankets) and throw in the parcel shelf.

Adding to my previous data point - (Installed 3/8 OD tubing with instant boominess reduction): With the boominess gone, I noticed road/wind noise more. I think we can consider this a support group at this point! So I got two 10 Feet packages of "D-Shape Weather Strip EPDM, 0.55" Height x 0.47" Width" weather stripping for $11.99 per 10 feet, so I spent about $24 plus tax. I stuck the weather stripping on the side edge and bottom edges of the front doors. And I only had enough for the side edges of the rear doors. I had to buy a 3rd pack of 10 Feet which will be delivered Wednesday. But I will say that not just wind noise is reduced, but general outside noise from other cars or reflections of sound off media dividers is greatly reduced! Definitely worth the less-than-50-bucks and 10 minutes of time. I recommend: Do not stretch the weather strip when installing to try to get it to "cover more distance" - stretching while sticking is just going to make it come unstuck as it contracts back to its natural shape. It quieted road/wind/outside noise so much that now I hear front motor whine. I think I'll stop with the modifications right here.... for now!

I added 1/4" tubing to my new (to me) 2022 MY and the crazy noise is has decreased by ~80%. I still consider the remaining 20% unacceptable and I'm taking the car to service this Friday to see what they can do. I'll try the rigid stops if Tesla can't fix it.

Has anyone added the OEM cargo cover? I was going to ask service if I could order the parts and then DIY, maybe even staple some MLV to the bottom...

I added 1/4" tubing to my new (to me) 2022 MY and the crazy noise is has decreased by ~80%. I still consider the remaining 20% unacceptable and I'm taking the car to service this Friday to see what they can do. I'll try the rigid stops if Tesla can't fix it.

Has anyone added the OEM cargo cover? I was going to ask service if I could order the parts and then DIY, maybe even staple some MLV to the bottom...
I saw you posted on my Reddit post.

1/4" tubing is quite a small diameter (if this is the outer diameter you're referring to). But if it works, it works I guess. If your issue isn't resolved after service, you may want to consider a thicker diameter.

Unless your hatch door is misaligned by any serious manner, there isn't anything Tesla service will do other than just check the hatch stops and set correctly. They may add the these "Wedge dampers" if they have them, which is also meant to decrease noise, but from what I have heard don't function that well.

5d74b9b017d2bb5302c5e308a2f6799ba9e98834.jpeg

4a091673e85504043dc822d75a97df57e13b4e56_2_376x500.jpeg

(Picture Source: A German Tesla forum, but they have these in North America too).