Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my car into the service center. They were very nice again. They are replacing the liftgate wedge dampers. I think this is a great start. My concern is that I feel the ear pressue when the car is sitting in the garage. Is it possible that something (AC? Battery cooler?) is cauing infrasound and a woobly hatch is making it worse?

I took my car into the service center. They were very nice again. They are replacing the liftgate wedge dampers. I think this is a great start. My concern is that I feel the ear pressue when the car is sitting in the garage. Is it possible that something (AC? Battery cooler?) is cauing infrasound and a woobly hatch is making it worse?

Honestly, I would rent another one like off Turo or rental app if you don’t have someone you know with the same model... see if that gives you the same issues to rule out it’s not just “your” vehicle.

Honestly, I would rent another one like off Turo or rental app if you don’t have someone you know with the same model... see if that gives you the same issues to rule out it’s not just “your” vehicle.

My car was fine for the first 9 days and then started having this issue. The service center was nice and let me drive another Y and I didn't feel it.

I'm about to give up and get rid of it.

I jumped onto this thread, since my wife and son both complained about the low frequency pulsing, and the high frequency squeal.

We've now driven 1250 miles, and for whatever reason, we're not noticing the issues...unless we're on a particularly bad stretch of washboard concrete. I'm beginning to think the low frequency noise is from the tires (19" Conti ProContact RX), which are now fully broken in.

My acoustician/recording engineer that was thinking about buying a Tesla this summer, and was looking forward to riding in our Tesla, with analytical gear installed, is having health issues that have prevented him from following up. So, my input here will be limited.

scott_mccool: Sorry you're about to give up.

• Informative
Reactions: magicnote
I jumped onto this thread, since my wife and son both complained about the low frequency pulsing, and the high frequency squeal.

We've now driven 1250 miles, and for whatever reason, we're not noticing the issues...unless we're on a particularly bad stretch of washboard concrete. I'm beginning to think the low frequency noise is from the tires (19" Conti ProContact RX), which are now fully broken in.

My acoustician/recording engineer that was thinking about buying a Tesla this summer, and was looking forward to riding in our Tesla, with analytical gear installed, is having health issues that have prevented him from following up. So, my input here will be limited.

scott_mccool: Sorry you're about to give up.

Thanks for the follow up. I think you mentioned your acoustician/recording engineer earlier and I was wondering why I hadn't seen more. Sorry to hear that he/she is having health issues. I pray they get better.

I love the car, so I am praying/hoping that the service center fixes it.

I just picked up my car from the service center. They said they installed these new things on the hatch to stiffen it and also let some more air out. They said that Tesla engineering had recently made these because some people have this issue. I can't remember if they really were not there before.
Tesla1.jpg
Tesla2.jpg

I just picked up my car from the service center. They said they installed these new things on the hatch to stiffen it and also let some more air out. They said that Tesla engineering had recently made these because some people have this issue. I can't remember if they really were not there before. View attachment 630677 View attachment 630678

Basically, this looks like a version of what I did on my Model S. On my S I replaced the body side hatch adjusters with firm rubber dowel to stop compression movement. I also added additional reinforcement around the hatch side adjusters. In the case of the Model Y, I noticed the body side adjusters were already firm rubber when I test drove it, so that wouldn’t be a fix. I wondered if another reinforcement could be added, but sure didn’t expect Tesla to introduce one (and certainly not this fast). In Europe one of the Skoda’s (like a Golf) had this issue and they introduced other revised parts similar to this. Hope this helps (note: I predict an improvement, but not a complete cure).

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
I just picked up my car from the service center. They said they installed these new things on the hatch to stiffen it and also let some more air out. They said that Tesla engineering had recently made these because some people have this issue. I can't remember if they really were not there before. View attachment 630677 View attachment 630678

It's been a week and my ears still hurt and are currently ringing. It didn't fix it.

That was the third attempt at fixing it. I'm done. I need to get rid of the car. Any advice? Should I get a lawyer and try the lemon law? Or is it better to contact the service center first without a lawyer?

It's been a week and my ears still hurt and are currently ringing. It didn't fix it.

That was the third attempt at fixing it. I'm done. I need to get rid of the car. Any advice? Should I get a lawyer and try the lemon law? Or is it better to contact the service center first without a lawyer?

sorry to hear.. if you might still want a Tesla, maybe the Model 3 which does a much better job isolating noise from the rear (or new S/X), try using the trade-in tool which would be very easy if you’re logged in your account to see what your car might be worth with trade-in and could save you on sales tax Trade-in | Tesla; though because the new ones have heat pumps, unsure if that itself won’t cause you similar problems

the legal route could be a long, nightmarish process, but if you win of course that should recoup your investment

one last thing you might try yourself with the car is to put a heavy blanket on top of the rear under trunk cover, and maybe heavy books on top of that too.. seems to improve the low-frequency booming adding mass to that; you can try pounding it with your fist and see how violent it sounds and reverberates through car before adding the blanket/books

I finally test drove a Model Y (19" wheels). It was a great drive! I enjoyed the driving dynamics, seat comfort, visibility, software interface, etc. All very impressive!

The sound on the other hand... yikes. I sat parked in the car for a few minutes and heard nothing, but wow after about 3 seconds of driving there it was. The low pitched thrumming was nearly identical to that in my e-tron, but with the addition of hatch buffeting. The result was about twice as bad, unfortunately.

Model Y and e-tron are the only 2 cars I have driven that cause me to feel this discomfort. Model 3 had none of this.

I recorded the sound in the e-tron with a studio-quality measurement microphone and preamp. The result wasn't clear cut. Will post back when I make more sense of it.

Reactions: magicnote

Without definitive proof that there is a low frequency pressure/sound you will have a hard time. I test drove one last week and noticed the same... almost felt like misaligned active noise canceling. My wife and kids did not hear/feel it.

Have your audio engineer test the car. If he is still not available due to health issues, hire someone else to perform the test. If you find something, you will have proof to stand on. You can also test the barometric pressure (using your phone) before you get in and then after you start driving. You should see a slight increase if the cabin is pressurized. That being said I would not rely on the sensor in your phone,

Without definitive proof that there is a low frequency pressure/sound you will have a hard time. I test drove one last week and noticed the same... almost felt like misaligned active noise canceling. My wife and kids did not hear/feel it.

Have your audio engineer test the car. If he is still not available due to health issues, hire someone else to perform the test. If you find something, you will have proof to stand on. You can also test the barometric pressure (using your phone) before you get in and then after you start driving. You should see a slight increase if the cabin is pressurized. That being said I would not rely on the sensor in your phone,

I have used two different digital barometers to test the pressure. There isn't an increase in pressure. There are fluctuations. Doing an FFT of the pressure shows more low frequency (10hz and less) in the Tesla than in my Buick or Ford.

That was another poster with the audio engineer. I have no idea how to hire somebody with the equipment to measure infrasound.

I finally test drove a Model Y (19" wheels). It was a great drive! I enjoyed the driving dynamics, seat comfort, visibility, software interface, etc. All very impressive!

The sound on the other hand... yikes. I sat parked in the car for a few minutes and heard nothing, but wow after about 3 seconds of driving there it was. The low pitched thrumming was nearly identical to that in my e-tron, but with the addition of hatch buffeting. The result was about twice as bad, unfortunately.

Model Y and e-tron are the only 2 cars I have driven that cause me to feel this discomfort. Model 3 had none of this.

I recorded the sound in the e-tron with a studio-quality measurement microphone and preamp. The result wasn't clear cut. Will post back when I make more sense of it.

Hmm. I feel it sometimes even when the car is parked. And the strangest thing, my wife felt it outside of the car! That sounds crazy, but the OP had the same issue.