Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, I had extra weather strips for the doors and put them in the spot he mentioned and no difference. I've spent hundreds on Noico sound deadening and foam on top of it with no difference, even in the quarter panels, trunk box, behind the quarter panel felt and even the wheel wells.

What the person mentioned above this post is correct. The shock is the issue along with the tires but I'm not sure I want to dump $5k ($3k shocks, install, tires, mount/balance) but may consider it or even trading the car in and taking a loss before I dump more money into it.

Now to update what I found somewhat helped was removing the top lid for the trunk as it would be enclosed with resonance (even though I lined the back of it with deadener and foam). I also raised the lid behind the second row seat. The bumps are still there but the "boom" or "thump" is not as echoed. Hope others will continue to post what works. I can tell you adjusting the stops did not work for me and I did it over a week. If the car is going 10 mph, it's not enough wind/buffer to cause it, I feel it as soon as the tire hits something uneven, then the shock and the whole rear end echo the boom.
I feel it just sitting in the car (not moving) in the garage with the door open. From reading this forum, it seems other people only feel it when the car is moving.

Maybe there is just something with this car that resonates any kind of disturbance. For some people it is motion. For me it is something in the car even when it is not moving.

I feel it just sitting in the car (not moving) in the garage with the door open. From reading this forum, it seems other people only feel it when the car is moving.

Maybe there is just something with this car that resonates any kind of disturbance. For some people it is motion. For me it is something in the car even when it is not moving.
The only thing I can think of that could cause ear pain when the car is not moving and door open would be the Heat Pump. I've had mine make some seriously high pitch ear piercing sounds when I first got the car while it was just sitting in the garage. Thankfully, I haven't heard it since.

Reactions: jsight
Agreed, I had extra weather strips for the doors and put them in the spot he mentioned and no difference. I've spent hundreds on Noico sound deadening and foam on top of it with no difference, even in the quarter panels, trunk box, behind the quarter panel felt and even the wheel wells.

What the person mentioned above this post is correct. The shock is the issue along with the tires but I'm not sure I want to dump $5k ($3k shocks, install, tires, mount/balance) but may consider it or even trading the car in and taking a loss before I dump more money into it.

Now to update what I found somewhat helped was removing the top lid for the trunk as it would be enclosed with resonance (even though I lined the back of it with deadener and foam). I also raised the lid behind the second row seat. The bumps are still there but the "boom" or "thump" is not as echoed. Hope others will continue to post what works. I can tell you adjusting the stops did not work for me and I did it over a week. If the car is going 10 mph, it's not enough wind/buffer to cause it, I feel it as soon as the tire hits something uneven, then the shock and the whole rear end echo the boom.
When you mentioned that you removed the top lid of the trunk to reduce the boom, do you mean this piece?

IMG_0856.jpg
And if so, could the weight of the speaker be causing this piece to flex when going over bumps? The speakers do have a little bit of weight to them and this piece of plastic is pretty flexible. I wish I would of tried removing the speakers when put sound proofing in the hatch, instead of removing most of the sound proofing due to the added weight that ended up making the hatch too heavy.

Reactions: ArtK
Just another data point as we all compare notes on this issue. Our March 2021 Y has this boom (wife does not notice, but I do). It is most notable in our subdivision grooved pavement around 20-30 MPH. Once we get driving around town it seems to diminish and/or I get less sensitive to it. I have tried the hatch envelope adjustment, which did seem to help a pressure sensation when sitting in the garage (more of a heat pump vibration), but the hatch adjustment did not make much difference on the subdivision pavement booming. However, we went to get flowers a couple days ago so I removed the rear trunk lid (the lid you remove to access the lower trunk) before we left. It might have made the booming better....but on the way home with the lower trunk full of flowers and stuff (and still no lid)...it seemed the boom was much better. I need to experement more by adding more stuff/heavier stuff to the lower trunk to see if that helps even more. Just wanted to share another data point.

Hey I'm still waiting on my order so don't have a MY yet... but I was just watching a video on YouTube using my headphones and I think I may have heard the buffeting sound that some of you are experiencing. This URL should take you to right around the 1:30 mark, where he is driving and I can hear what I think it is:
. I can't really hear it on my laptop speakers but can for sure on headphones. Is that the buffeting noise?

Just another data point as we all compare notes on this issue. Our March 2021 Y has this boom (wife does not notice, but I do). It is most notable in our subdivision grooved pavement around 20-30 MPH. Once we get driving around town it seems to diminish and/or I get less sensitive to it. I have tried the hatch envelope adjustment, which did seem to help a pressure sensation when sitting in the garage (more of a heat pump vibration), but the hatch adjustment did not make much difference on the subdivision pavement booming. However, we went to get flowers a couple days ago so I removed the rear trunk lid (the lid you remove to access the lower trunk) before we left. It might have made the booming better....but on the way home with the lower trunk full of flowers and stuff (and still no lid)...it seemed the boom was much better. I need to experement more by adding more stuff/heavier stuff to the lower trunk to see if that helps even more. Just wanted to share another data point.
I noticed the same when I put my winter wheels on top on the way to the tire shop, less boomy. However, it's not realistic to have items in the trunk like that all the time. I'm still waiting on my tires and should be done by the weekend and will update. I also read another post that there is supposed to be a foam block in the driver side quarter panel, mine did not have it. I stuffed that area with a full size memory foam pillow with no difference. The suspension seems to be the culprit.

Also someone said that the trunk lid moves due to the weak mounts. I'm going to try to add large washers under the nuts of the hinges to give it more of a surface area to spread the weight to hopefully enforce it. Not holding my breath tho.

Reactions: MY-Y and geekfam
Can anyone explain adjusting the height of the hatch catch? I yanked off the trim and identified the torx bolts, pulled those out and the hatch catch came right off. But I can’t see anything that would allow for any kind of adjustment of its height.

Attachments

• BFEDC10A-C304-40D5-8147-306F878B8927.jpeg
    BFEDC10A-C304-40D5-8147-306F878B8927.jpeg
    620.2 KB · Views: 200
Can anyone explain adjusting the height of the hatch catch? I yanked off the trim and identified the torx bolts, pulled those out and the hatch catch came right off. But I can’t see anything that would allow for any kind of adjustment of its height.

apply as much downward pressure on it as you’re torquing it down; there’s a few mm of play but every bit helps to ensure the hatch is as firmly held against the body of the car to reduce any movement

if hatch has trouble closing/catching, I would recommend applying lubricant to the catch such as white lithium grease

Just another data point I'll throw in. I'm currently not a Tesla owner but in the market for a MY or M3. I've done 3 test drives in the MY and 2 in the M3.

On my last 2 visits to the Tesla Gallery I had the opportunity to test drive a M3 & MY back-to-back. The first visit I wanted to drive the MY but there was a couple in front of me that was just getting ready to take it out for a test drive. So the manager asked if I wanted to test drive the M3 Performance while I waited for them to return. Twist my arm.

Anyway, after I they returned and I started the MY test drive, beside the higher seating position, the very first thing I noticed was a "booming" sound from the rear when getting up to speed on the frontage road that was not there with the M3. Same exact route I took with the M3 40 minutes earlier. After a while I didn't it notice anymore but like geekfam speculated I think I just became accustom to it. The MY I was driving had the 20" wheels and the M3P had the standard M3P 20" + 35 series tires.

The 2nd back-to-back was between a M3 LR (18" aero + 45 series tires) & the same MY I test drove the first time. It was a mirror experience to the first test drives. As soon started to get up to speed in the MY I instantly noticed the "boom" from the rear but after a bit didn't notice anymore.

I currently drive an ICE crossover about the same size as the MY and while it may be slightly noisier overall it definitely doesn't exhibit this booming noise. It didn't cause me ear pain but would definitely be an annoyance, at least for me.

• Informative
Reactions: iustin
Another data point- I swapped 4 new tires with Micheline Pilot Sport A/S 4 and the boom is slightly worse, I'm assuming I have to break in the tires and the wear rating is higher meaning the rubber is harder. After adding all that insulation and attempts, the booming decreased maybe 10% and I think it's due to my oem tires breaking in. I have already ordered the Mountain Pass Performance coilovers. Once they get here in 2-3 months, I will install and report back. I'm starting to get used to the booming unfortunately but I still hate it, especially with the windows up and music off.

So I was just sitting in my model Y in the garage and decided to tap on some things to see what was dampened and what wasn’t.

Bumping on the glass roof and windshield with the underside of my fist (pinky side) immediately caused a booming sound just like what I experience when driving, but not quite as loud. Then I did the same on the fabric-covered headliner between the two and it boomed like a huge drum/subwoofer!

I took out my phone and checked the frequency with AudioTool and indeed it’s resonating like crazy at basically the problematic frequency of 40Hz. It’s resonating so loudly that even in dBA scale it’s super clear (normally you’d need to be in dBC scale to see how distinct the resonance is).

Clearly this cavity is completely empty. This trim piece would be an excellent candidate for lining with butyl dampener like Noico or Dynamat, and then maybe filling with something too.

Has anyone else noticed this?

So I was just sitting in my model Y in the garage and decided to tap on some things to see what was dampened and what wasn’t.

Bumping on the glass roof and windshield with the underside of my fist (pinky side) immediately caused a booming sound just like what I experience when driving, but not quite as loud. Then I did the same on the fabric-covered headliner between the two and it boomed like a huge drum/subwoofer!

I took out my phone and checked the frequency with AudioTool and indeed it’s resonating like crazy at basically the problematic frequency of 40Hz. It’s resonating so loudly that even in dBA scale it’s super clear (normally you’d need to be in dBC scale to see how distinct the resonance is).

Clearly this cavity is completely empty. This trim piece would be an excellent candidate for lining with butyl dampener like Noico or Dynamat, and then maybe filling with something too.

Oh wow! It does boom when I hit the front part of the head liner, I need to try the back. However it's pretty involved to take it off. :(

Removing The Complete Headliner From A Tesla Model Y

I would advise against lining this trim piece with butyl dampener or Dynamat, because that stuff is heavy. Probably could get away with a little bit of the dampener up there though and then stuff it full of that weightless Noico foam.

Hello all,
i just came back from tesla service center, they install the rubber bump for me and it seems getting worse. when i driving on highway with 100km/h, I feel the hurt much more. I can see the 30Hz is almost around 80db to 100db.
20210428_121310.jpg

I did a lot of research and found out a lot of ppl in china having the same issue. 32.4Hz noise at >60db impacting human ears which some people will feel hurt on the ear. it happens >50km/h like you sitting in an aircraft and climbing up from the ground. Here is the video from Dr. Zheng at NVH lab (Noise Vibration Harshness lab)

Sorry mandarin with Chinese subtitles. it explain how it happened and what caused this issue.

What's happening in Model Y about ear pain
weibo link #1

follow up:
weibo link #2

Here is the video i recorded before I went to the service center for the new rubber bump
driving 50km/h on the city road with 30Hz noise over 80-100db

20210416_161020_1.gif

Now i have no idea how to deal with this issue

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: iustin
Oh wow! It does boom when I hit the front part of the head liner, I need to try the back. However it's pretty involved to take it off. :(

Removing The Complete Headliner From A Tesla Model Y

I would advise against lining this trim piece with butyl dampener or Dynamat, because that stuff is heavy. Probably could get away with a little bit of the dampener up there though and then stuff it full of that weightless Noico foam.
I think with the dynamat type stuff you only need 25% coverage to meaningfully improve resonances. Do you think that would be possible?

We and several others had this problem on our Honda Odyssey's. The cause we all believed was the active noise cancelling. I have a MX and cannot speak to the hatch issue on the MY, but thought I'd mention the ANC in case it helps you.

This works minimally if at all. I pulled back the panels that you are talking about and put sound deadening material there and to fill up the space and no noticeable difference. You have to be very careful, the side window airbags are there and you don’t want to stuff it too much where it would prevent operation. I think at this point the after market coil overs (which I have on order) is the solution, if it can absorb the harsh bumps, it won’t transfer to the car’s frame then to your spine and ears.