Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to provide to this thread, as for the car being so well sealed that the pressure doesn't escape the vents is false. I've actually cut a square in the cubby hole in the trunk to allow the air/pressure go through, no noticeable difference.

I've actually purchased the original felt shelf that came out, it was like $250 that attaches to the lift gate, opens/close and not noticeable difference, I actually just threw it away as no one wanted to buy it and I eventually got the sliding one (the flimsy rollout one that doesn't do anything for noise). Anyways, it seems tesla is coming out with a foldable trunk cargo cover per the Berlin factory video. I thought about building my own shelf with heavy plywood/wood and cutting in half down the middle and putting hinges on it in the middle so I can fold it in half and store it if I buy something large. I just need ideas on how to mount holders on the trunk panels.

I really believe the boominess is vibration from the stiff shocks and it vibrating through the body, when I had 3 large adults in the car, the boominess was reduced. Also the Model 3 that I drove barely had any boominess which I assume is due to the trunk being there.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
I'm in the middle of a 900 mile road trip. Drove 9 hours yesterday. The car is pretty full, with the sub trunk loaded with speaker components and the rear packed with three suitcases. Drove the entire way just talking (it's been a long time since we've seen each other) and no radio.

I didn't even think about boominess until I saw this thread again. All sorts of road conditions. He did comment on the wind noise, but it was not bad. I'll pay more attention today and also tip him off to the boominess and see if he notices.

I'd say I got lucky on this MY construction. As a reminder, I did do vinyl butyl and sound absorber, 3D hatch stops, and the vinyl tubing.

Just picked up MYP, and logged 100 miles same day! Empty car no radio/music, went through multiple construction zones with uneven surfaces and pot holes.
No beffeting or ear pressure/ headache at all.

However, I felt buffeting and ear pressure immediately when I was doing the test drive a year ago (it was LR AWD version)

The MYP I test drove in October had terrible pressure buffeting. The MYP I took delivery of last weekend had moderate pressure buffeting, which I'm still trying to resolve via adjustment of the rubber stops. If I turn up the music, it's not too big of a deal, but definitely want to minimize it.

Have we talked about this? Pricey, but cheaper than coilovers...
Amazon.com
1648998486106.png

Have we talked about this? Pricey, but cheaper than coilovers...
Amazon.com
View attachment 789488

Yeah, I've seen quite a few anecdotal reports that cargo covers don't seem to do anything, maybe a few that say they do.

I'll add my 2 cents (I have a rollable one) and it doesn't do anything whatsoever. Maybe this is better I don't know. I like that this one looks rigid.

I feel like if a cargo cover had a mass-loaded vinyl interior and was lined with acoustic wall tiles on the exterior top it might help stop sound reflection in the cabin from the glass roof and hatch.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few anecdotal reports that cargo covers don't seem to do anything, maybe a few that say they do.

I'll add my 2 cents (I have a rollable one) and it doesn't do anything whatsoever. Maybe this is better I don't know. I like that this one looks rigid.

I feel like if a cargo cover had a mass-loaded vinyl interior and was lined with acoustic wall tiles on the exterior top it might help stop sound reflection in the cabin from the glass roof and hatch.
Texas may be delivering them. I'm sure they'll send us all one.
Tesla Model Y from Giga Texas Spotted with Cargo Cover [VIDEO] - TeslaNorth.com

This thread has been extremely interesting and informative, thank you all! I just picked up my brand-new 2022 MYLR (Fremont VIN #434xxx, 19" Conti's), and instantly noticed the severe low-frequency resonance and booming. It feels like I'm inside a cranked-up subwoofer playing "Oh, Yeah" on a loop. According to the Decibel X app on my iPhone, the oscillations are 90dB - 100dB (C scale) at ~43Hz, which is really uncomfortable to my ears. My wife notices too, but it doesn't bother her as much; she's more sensitive to some intermittent very-high-pitch 🦟 noises the car makes that I can't hear. (We will try to track those down as well.)

For the low frequencies, I’ve tried the envelope trick of readjusting all four hatch stops until I could just barely extract an envelope without tearing it, but it didn’t make a perceptible difference. I have a mobile service visit scheduled for later this week, and we’ll see what they say. Consolidating various tips from this and other threads, here is my current list of things to try, roughly in increasing order of cost/complexity:

- Adjusting OEM hatch stops (already done, didn't help)
- Reducing tire pressure (the car was delivered with 45psi, which certainly isn't helping!)
- Conditioning the hatch seals
- Adding side rubber blocks (Tesla China does this, maybe US now)?
- RPMTesla noise reduction kit or BASENOR kit
- PVC hatch stops
- 5/16" vinyl tubing
- Cargo cover (probably ModelYShelf.2, or maybe BLAPREZ)
- Quarter-panel and wheel-well insulation
- New tires (e.g. Vredestein Quatrac Pro or Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack)
- New coilovers (e.g. MPP Comfort)

I’ll post an update after my SC visit Thursday. Hoping this is a very temporary and overcome-able glitch in an otherwise phenomenal car!

Last edited:
This thread has been extremely interesting and informative, thank you all! I just picked up my brand-new 2022 MYLR (Fremont VIN #434xxx, 19" Conti's), and instantly noticed the severe low-frequency resonance and booming. It feels like I'm inside a cranked-up subwoofer playing "Oh, Yeah" on a loop. According to the Decibel X app on my iPhone, the oscillations are 90dB - 100dB (C scale) at ~43Hz, which is really uncomfortable to my ears. My wife notices too, but it doesn't bother her as much; she's more sensitive to some intermittent very-high-pitch 🦟 noises the car makes that I can't hear. (We will try to track those down as well.)

For the low frequencies, I’ve tried the envelope trick of readjusting all four hatch stops until I could just barely extract an envelope without tearing it, but it didn’t make a perceptible difference. I have a mobile service visit scheduled for later this week, and we’ll see what they say. Consolidating various tips from this and other threads, here is my current list of things to try, roughly in increasing order of cost/complexity:

- Reducing tire pressure (the car was delivered with 45psi, which certainly isn't helping!)
- PVC hatch stops
- 5/16" vinyl tubing

I’ll post an update after my SC visit Thursday. Hoping this is a very temporary and overcome-able glitch in an otherwise phenomenal car!
I had similar issues with bass boom sounds coming from trunk and ear pressure sensation in my 2022 performance model y. Even put car up for sale. I decided to have tesla fix some panel gaps which I thought would hinder the appeal of the car since they were Eye sores. Two of my panel gaps were related to the trunk. My trunk also made a lot of snare drum thrashing noises when going over moderate bumps. Tesla sent my car to body shop due to trunk alignment. WHen I got car back, the gaps were corrected. I noticed my trunk no longer made snare drum noises and the bass booming noises greatly diminished. Also my ear’s didn’t pop as much or feel under pressure.
Check the electric man’s YouTube to learn about trunk gaps. He points them out.

Reactions: Ben W

- PVC hatch stops
- 5/16" vinyl tubing

I would offer that the noise reduction kit will not help with this issue.

Swap the tubing with the PVC hatch stops because you will likely add the tubing and then have to redo the hatch stops. I would suggest going the 3D printed route if possible. I never could find PVC that would fit, despite all the information on sizing in this thread. Plus, the 3D versions look great.

Tubing isn't that hard to do. Do three sections as described. I sprayed silicon spray into the weatherstripping before pushing the tubing through and it was really easy. Don't be alarmed by the "clunk" when opening the hatch after you do the tubing.

Please keep us all updated on your progress, and hopefully, your success.

Probably goes without saying, but as you go through your list, make sure you test for booming on the same roads, or at least the same type of road surface. In my experience the road surface is everything. In other words you will never get the car silent on all surfaces. But if you are diligent and fortunate you will reduce booming enough on your daily drives to start to like the car.

Honestly, I think this thread gives people too much hope. I tried most of his list and even went to 18" wheels with oversized tires and I still think it rides like crap.
Did you do coilovers? My MountainPass Performance made a huge difference in the ride quality for me. I don't believe this would solve the booming issue, but did greatly improve the ride. For me.

Did you do coilovers? My MountainPass Performance made a huge difference in the ride quality for me. I don't believe this would solve the booming issue, but did greatly improve the ride. For me.
That's the last resort. I'm already in about $2k from wheels, tires, insulation, etc. I'm hesitant to plop down another $3-4k. I also worry about suspension squeak. Though it is a future possibility. They re-paved a lot of roads on my commute last summer, which I'm sure is saving my sanity. If they work on a couple more close to my neighborhood this summer most of my problem will be solved . 😄

BTW, is MPP the best choice? You'll save me hours of research.

That's the last resort. I'm already in about $2k from wheels, tires, insulation, etc. I'm hesitant to plop down another $3-4k. I also worry about suspension squeak. Though it is a future possibility. They re-paved a lot of roads on my commute last summer, which I'm sure is saving my sanity. If they work on a couple more close to my neighborhood this summer most of my problem will be solved . 😄

MPP was the best choice for me. I'll send you a PM.

Just went to the service center, test drove with a lead technician and he said it's normal (due to very stiff suspension) and how all Model Ys operate, and that it will get better after a few thousand miles. Really disappointing.

Question: did your booming/buffeting get better after 2-3,000 miles on its own?
No, but we’re better able to tune it out. It’s still there when we listen for it though, and I suspect it’s still having a fatiguing effect long-term. I just drove 7,500 miles cross-country in my 2018 Model 3 over the last few weeks. It was so much fun, was so easy, and went by so fast. I felt great at the end of every day. But I’d be worried about trying the same thing in our Y. Pretty sure I’d be fatigued, maybe irritable at the end of a 10-hour day of driving, certainly by the end of 4 or 5 10-hour days.

I’m convinced it’s the resonant frequency of the frame, and there’s nothing we can do (short of tightly attaching hundreds of pounds of weight to specific parts of the frame) that’s going to affect it much. I was hoping that the single-piece castings would change the resonant frequency, but it looks like Fremont’s been using single-piece rears for over a year, and people are still having problems. Maybe the Ys coming out of Texas and Berlin will be better.

Reactions: ilovecoffee

I have MountainPass Comfort Coilovers, mostly because they are manufactured by KW and also local to me (they are just outside Toronto). Of course maybe outside a big Model Y meetup, it would be impossible to test the various coilovers available. I think any are an improvement.

As you know @Noflash I'm obsessed with these problems (noise and suspension feel) that ruin what is otherwise a good car. The suspension is just so jarring, I'm flabbergasted by people that say "it's just sporty" or "it's totally fine". It's neither.

When I first replaced to coilovers, I didn't have vinyl tubing in yet, and had fiddled with my hatch stops so that they were in fact badly set. The booming was still there. Perhaps less boomy in the sense that every bump wasn't a crashing sensation. Was the ride better? Oh yes. I came from a cushy latest model CX-9, and mostly SUVs before that- it's not close to being an SUV ride, but it's more like a BMW sedan. I still can adjust it softer though which I have not done yet.

The squeaking you're referring to that was identified by some people, was rectified in the MPP thread which was identified to be installers lubricating around the dampers, which caused harmless movement that resulted in squeaking. Lubrication is not required.

If you're planning on keeping the car for 3 years or more, I'd say just pay and get it done for your sanity.