Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh and just a note, purely anecdotal and I may be wrong, but I stuffed those cavities in the rear wheel well with "bass absorbing" foam blocks and it seemed to make the problem worse, as if perhaps it was impeding airflow towards the vent in the rear bumper. Just something to keep in mind.
Yup. I remember your post on that. My plan was to put one in the far front portion of each cavity, in the area Sandy Munro found the foam during his tear down. I don't see how that would impact the vents, which are almost in a separate compartment behind the storage wells. Not disputing you at all. ;-) Hoping I don't find out the hard way and have to take it all apart again. My enjoyment of this project is decreasing a bit. Almost finished everything though.

A mobile tech took a ride with me and acknowledged that the car was noisier than typical, though they weren't able to do much to fix it. Then yesterday I dropped the car at the SC for a more thorough look; the tech who drove the car claimed not to hear any excess noise, even though my decibel meter was registering 90+dB for most of the drive. They're going to realign the hatch (which I noticed is pretty badly misaligned; wide panel gaps (~1cm) on one side and less than a millimeter on the other, even after carefully adjusting the hatch stops), and perhaps that will help. No matter how it ends up, I have most of the materials to do the various improvements now (PVC, vinyl tubing, weatherstripping, cargo shelf, and thick cargo mat) and will see where that gets me. If that's not enough, I have a body shop that can do the soundproofing of the wheel wells and quarterpanels. Expecting the car back on Mon, and will keep the thread posted.
Well, that was disappointing. The first time in 14 years of Tesla ownership that I've had a service experience bad enough to leave negative feedback, and it won't even let me do that because the app keeps saying "Survey Submission Failed" when I try to send it. 😡 But in a nutshell:

1. The tech insisted on driving the car himself with me as a passenger, even though on every other similar occasion I've driven the car to illustrate the issue.
2. The tech forgot(?) to put the car in Service mode, then drove very aggressively and dinged up my FSD Safety Score, which I've been extremely careful to maintain, despite me asking him repeatedly to drive cautiously for this reason.
3. Despite my prominently wearing a mask (to protect my 4-year-old daughter), the tech didn't offer to wear a mask, and didn't even seem to have one on him. This was pretty rude, for a windows-closed car ride with a masked customer.
4. The tech acknowledged the car was loud, but claimed it was within spec, so they couldn't do anything about it. They did realign the hatch to fix the panel gaps, but that didn't help at all with the road noise issue.

Meanwhile, there's a road right next to the Santa Barbara service center where I can reliably reproduce the subsonic buffeting and low-frequency noise, so I'll try taking it there next. I've also been noticing the loose ground-strap motor whine issue, which peaks around 45-50mph; will have them look at that as well. (It doesn't bother me so much, but to my wife it's like a dentist's drill.) Also, I'll try the vinyl tubing and other DIY fixes. Will update again soon!

Well, that was disappointing. The first time in 14 years of Tesla ownership that I've had a service experience bad enough to leave negative feedback, and it won't even let me do that because the app keeps saying "Survey Submission Failed" when I try to send it. 😡 But in a nutshell:

1. The tech insisted on driving the car himself with me as a passenger, even though on every other similar occasion I've driven the car to illustrate the issue.
2. The tech forgot(?) to put the car in Service mode, then drove very aggressively and dinged up my FSD Safety Score, which I've been extremely careful to maintain, despite me asking him repeatedly to drive cautiously for this reason.
3. Despite my prominently wearing a mask (to protect my 4-year-old daughter), the tech didn't offer to wear a mask, and didn't even seem to have one on him. This was pretty rude, for a windows-closed car ride with a masked customer.
4. The tech acknowledged the car was loud, but claimed it was within spec, so they couldn't do anything about it. They did realign the hatch to fix the panel gaps, but that didn't help at all with the road noise issue.

Meanwhile, there's a road right next to the Santa Barbara service center where I can reliably reproduce the subsonic buffeting and low-frequency noise, so I'll try taking it there next. I've also been noticing the loose ground-strap motor whine issue, which peaks around 45-50mph; will have them look at that as well. (It doesn't bother me so much, but to my wife it's like a dentist's drill.) Also, I'll try the vinyl tubing and other DIY fixes. Will update again soon!
No one wears masks anymore outside of Cali 🙄 I wouldn’t be so pissed about that more like personal problem.

What ever happened with this?
I realized I didn't phrase that very clearly. The car was at the Tesla SC, not the body shop yet. I want to give Tesla every opportunity to make the car as good as it can be before I start making DIY modifications. So next I'll to a different SC to get the ground straps tightened up to fix the motor whine, see if they'll at least acknowledge the low-frequency road noise issue (it shows up super clearly at low speed on a particular road next to the SC), then start playing with vinyl tubing and more heavy-duty soundproofing.

Well it has arrived, and I've installed it, for reference here is the Amazon link it was on sale when I bought it for 199 (still that at time of posting)

c5qIBAZ.png

Looks nice and solid. It's thick and has a padded foam on the top underneath some fabric. It is light weight, I'm not sure maybe some kind of particle board or something, similar to the trunk floor board pieces.

OHMmJ5G.png

Here it is folded (it does run into some issues when folding it hits the trim, but it still folds
see here for video)

GLdBqYh.png

Here is what it looks like from the inside, doesn't go overtop of the trunk speakers

FrmxkND.png

The tracks hook onto the rear seat belt holes. It's not a great fit. I tried my darndest thinking this was made from a mould, but it doesn't seem to line up perfectly. Have to be careful here because it sat too high at first and was impacting the retraction of the rear seat belt.

04Cr7Lp.png

---------------

All in all I say it was a good purchase for $199. I'd say there's an improvement in cabin noise, not pressure reduction. It does eliminate some road bump noises. This is all anecdotal of course, but if you know me from my post history, I'm obsessed with this. It 100% is better than those roller covers, which I own and did nothing.

If I had to give it a rating, I'd say it's a 15% improvement in cabin noise reduction.

I noticed that my gasket has something like tubing inside after my last service appointment. I wish I checked beforehand. There is a little nib, circled in the pic below. I can feel the tubing inside the gasket centered around this point. The tubing is 14" long, on both sides, amd nowhere else in my gasket.
20220603_123511.jpg

I noticed that my gasket has something like tubing inside after my last service appointment. I wish I checked beforehand. There is a little nib, circled in the pic below. I can feel the tubing inside the gasket centered around this point. The tubing is 14" long, on both sides, amd nowhere else in my gasket.
Bet you it was there all this time. If it was put in recently without your knowledge those rigid hatch stops you made would not make contact anymore, or at least change it significantly.

Is it symmetrically installed on both sides?

Hilarious that these are hit and miss (mostly miss) possibly from the factory. What's up with that?

I noticed that my gasket has something like tubing inside after my last service appointment. I wish I checked beforehand. There is a little nib, circled in the pic below. I can feel the tubing inside the gasket centered around this point. The tubing is 14" long, on both sides, amd nowhere else in my gasket.View attachment 812213
I confirmed that I also have the same stuff on my hatch seal. Same with the nibs sticking out.

• Informative
Reactions: ilovecoffee
Well it has arrived, and I've installed it, for reference here is the Amazon link it was on sale when I bought it for 199 (still that at time of posting)

c5qIBAZ.png

Looks nice and solid. It's thick and has a padded foam on the top underneath some fabric. It is light weight, I'm not sure maybe some kind of particle board or something, similar to the trunk floor board pieces.

OHMmJ5G.png

Here it is folded (it does run into some issues when folding it hits the trim, but it still folds
see here for video)

GLdBqYh.png

Here is what it looks like from the inside, doesn't go overtop of the trunk speakers

FrmxkND.png

The tracks hook onto the rear seat belt holes. It's not a great fit. I tried my darndest thinking this was made from a mould, but it doesn't seem to line up perfectly. Have to be careful here because it sat too high at first and was impacting the retraction of the rear seat belt.

04Cr7Lp.png

---------------

All in all I say it was a good purchase for $199. I'd say there's an improvement in cabin noise, not pressure reduction. It does eliminate some road bump noises. This is all anecdotal of course, but if you know me from my post history, I'm obsessed with this. It 100% is better than those roller covers, which I own and did nothing.

If I had to give it a rating, I'd say it's a 15% improvement in cabin noise reduction.
Great review! Would you say it improves (reduces) the low frequency booming at all, or is the 15% noise reduction happening higher up in the frequency range?

c5qIBAZ.png

OHMmJ5G.png

see here for video)

GLdBqYh.png

FrmxkND.png

04Cr7Lp.png

---------------

Thank you for the detailed report! I am off to order now...

Done! Of course it will arrive Thursday. The day after I return from a three day road trip.

I do not have anything inside my hatch seal in that area. 2022 performance model y built mid 12/2021.
I posted earlier (maybe this thread, maybe another) a couple pictures illustrating two pieces of tubing in locations different from what described by MattM24 and also MY-Y on my 2020 MY. Who knows but these are something that can be grabbed and used to help seat the gasket?

Edit: posted in this thread:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6702343/

I pulled out a piece of the foam that was in channel. It’s a foam tube. Looks like the EPDM foam tubing you see on McMaster-Carr.
I decided to fish 3/8” foam backer rod through the rest of the seal and just tested (by ear) on a bad local road. The sound is gone. It sounds normal now. I also switched back to the side stops that have the cutout for the rubber bushing.

I pulled out a piece of the foam that was in channel. It’s a foam tube. Looks like the EPDM foam tubing you see on McMaster-Carr.
I decided to fish 3/8” foam backer rod through the rest of the seal and just tested (by ear) on a bad local road. The sound is gone. It sounds normal now. I also switched back to the side stops that have the cutout for the rubber bushing.

So like this? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/m-...t-gap-joint-filler-backer-rod-grey/1001122610

Interesting alternative.

what lubricant did you use to fish it through the channel? Silicon ?