Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to think that the unpleasant noise is definitely a combination of multiple things, not just one.

I still have not done the tubing or rigid hatch stops (planning to first get service to adjust hatch panels before doing any mods, and have been too damn busy to do that yet), but have done plenty of rubber bumper adjusting and know that this can change the booming from 'pretty bad' to 'terrible'. However, I also noticed that the removable cover to the lower trunk area in my MYLR7 booms like a drum when you hit it. It's not the cover itself (I immediately tried driving without it, and no difference) but the tub or whatever is around it that booms like a drum.

So I tried packing the lower trunk tub full of clothing until it was completely full... and suspension noise is greatly improved. It's not quiet by any means, but is much closer to the threshold where the car is enjoyable vs annoying to drive. Enough of an improvement that i've left all that clothing in there. Luckily it's our winter coats and stuff so should not be missed for a few months yet :p

Obviously I'd like to be able to use that space again, but this makes me think that putting sound deadening foam around and below that lower trunk bin would be effective.

Reactions: MickY
I'm starting to think that the unpleasant noise is definitely a combination of multiple things, not just one.

I still have not done the tubing or rigid hatch stops (planning to first get service to adjust hatch panels before doing any mods), but have done plenty of rubber bumper adjusting and know that this can change the booming from 'pretty bad' to 'terrible'. However, I also noticed that the removable cover to the lower trunk area in my MYLR7 booms like a drum when you hit it. It's not the cover itself (I immediately tried driving without it, and no difference) but the tub or whatever is around it that booms like a drum.

I tried packing the lower trunk bin full of clothing until it was completely full... and suspension noise is greatly improved. It's not quiet by any means, but is much closer to the threshold where the car is enjoyable vs annoying to drive. It feels more like "I'm driving a stiff sports car" vs "I'm trapped in an auditory torture device"

Obviously I'd like to be able to use that space again, but this makes me think that putting sound deadening foam around and below that lower trunk bin would be effective.

So my theory is that, at least in my car, some of the eardrum pressure/buffeting effects are from the hatch moving over bumps (ie. big individual pressure surges), while much of the audible booming (ie. low audible frequency resonance) is from the trunk bin area. Not 100% sure, but seems like that to me.

So... You'd think that... It's a logical assumption.

I think maybe there is some merit to filling up that compartment but there is no effect on applying sound deadening material to that bucket. I know because I've got it covered in butyl and MLV along the bottom. A few others have mentioned this as well (I think @gundarx being one of them). Little to no effect.

While you mentioned you just filled it up with clothes, numerous people have anecdotally commented that loading weighty things in that area has helped presumably because it is increasing rear suspension compression and slowing rebound.

It's those rear quarter panels that are the biggest component aside from the hatch itself (which is the bigger one). If you think about it... That's where all the connection to the road is through the stiff suspension.

So... You'd think that... It's a logical assumption.

I think maybe there is some merit to filling up that compartment but there is no effect on applying sound deadening material to that bucket. I know because I've got it covered in butyl and MLV along the bottom. A few others have mentioned this as well (I think @gundarx being one of them). Little to no effect.

While you mentioned you just filled it up with clothes, numerous people have anecdotally commented that loading weighty things in that area has helped presumably because it is increasing rear suspension compression and slowing rebound.

It's those rear quarter panels that are the biggest component aside from the hatch itself (which is the bigger one). If you think about it... That's where all the connection to the road is through the stiff suspension.
I coated the outside of my bucket with butyl too. No noticeable difference. Fix the hatch motion.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Hey all,

Just posting up a review here of another sound-deadening/reduction product:

TSJqWXM.png

Firstly, does it do anything?
I think the wheel well covers do. I HIGHLY doubt the hood insulation does anything, other than look nice. I think there is an improvement in road noise, but I'm saying "I think". I'd give it a 5% reduction.

Installation:

It's a bit of a b*tch, the wheel well covers that is. It comes with a lot of extra clips, as they need to be longer to reach through. The mudflaps required new clips which were not provided (thank goodness I have a box full of different kinds). There are 2 screws on either side. One of them required a new bolt because it was just too tight of a fit. It slightly wraps around the bottom, and those too needed a bit of tweaking to get to fit.

The wheel well looks nicer at least.

I'd say they aren't worth it. But I bought them, so I installed them anyway.

I probably now have purchased and installed every single sound dampening product for this vehicle that I can find. The only one I removed was the rubber tubing that goes around the sunroof as I didn't find it fit my vehicle very well and was coming loose at the back.

Ugh, just saw that the 'lost' version of my post reappeared, so now there are two slightly different ones :p

Regarding foam on the outside of the tub, could it be that it's not the tub but the metal frame around it that needs to foam? Just speculating - you guys have actually had the panels out and I have not...

Hey all,

Just posting up a review here of another sound-deadening/reduction product:

TSJqWXM.png

Firstly, does it do anything?
I think the wheel well covers do. I HIGHLY doubt the hood insulation does anything, other than look nice. I think there is an improvement in road noise, but I'm saying "I think". I'd give it a 5% reduction.

Installation:

It's a bit of a b*tch, the wheel well covers that is. It comes with a lot of extra clips, as they need to be longer to reach through. The mudflaps required new clips which were not provided (thank goodness I have a box full of different kinds). There are 2 screws on either side. One of them required a new bolt because it was just too tight of a fit. It slightly wraps around the bottom, and those too needed a bit of tweaking to get to fit.

The wheel well looks nicer at least.

I'd say they aren't worth it. But I bought them, so I installed them anyway.

I probably now have purchased and installed every single sound dampening product for this vehicle that I can find. The only one I removed was the rubber tubing that goes around the sunroof as I didn't find it fit my vehicle very well and was coming loose at the back.
Wow, that’s really impressive! We just took delivery on our Y, and would like to quiet it down a bit. Since you have tried so many, which ones do you think give you the most bang for the buck?

Wow, that’s really impressive! We just took delivery on our Y, and would like to quiet it down a bit. Since you have tried so many, which ones do you think give you the most bang for the buck?

I'm making a YouTube video actually at the moment documenting absolutely everything "known" to help quieting the Model Y. I should be posting it this week :)

Great, I hope you post a link here when it goes live!
Here you go! Firstly, guys, please be gentle---- this is my first YouTube video lol. And it was a lot more difficult than I expected to make one!

I should clarify that this doesn't contain any NEW information that isn't already on this forum. But it's a good summary of every effective noise reduction method discussed here.

...and that image of Elon in the thumbnail, I made with Stable Diffusion's AI image generator LOL.

Great video, thank you!

Especially for showing how easy it is to take off the quarter panel trim and access the area for putting butyl on. For the other side, you also need to remove the top trim piece to unscrew the subwoofer, right?

Also sorry to hear you broke the folds screen. Hopefully you can get it repaired under the screen replacement warranty.

Reactions: ilovecoffee
@ilovecoffee Great video! I would like to add one more thing that I haven't seen people talk about. Around the time Cyber Rodeo was announced Tesla started adding a sound damping pad to the rear piece casting. I was watching this Munro Live video:

I attempted to try to do the same with the butyl rubber in this area that is below the subtrunk. At first I added too much and covered the entire area which made certain low frequencies worse. So, I ended up trimming more to get it closer to what is in the picture. It seems the size and placement does make a difference. After trimming it and getting it closer to the picture from cyber rodeo it made a noticeable difference in reducing or shifting the frequency of the booming. It is not as big of a difference as the quarter panels, but I figure every little bit helps. :)

Attachments

• ModelYDampingPad.png
    ModelYDampingPad.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
Reactions: ilovecoffee
Great video, thank you!

Especially for showing how easy it is to take off the quarter panel trim and access the area for putting butyl on. For the other side, you also need to remove the top trim piece to unscrew the subwoofer, right?

Also sorry to hear you broke the folds screen. Hopefully you can get it repaired under the screen replacement warranty.
Yeah sorry I didn't show everything because I was concerned the video would get too long.

As you said yes you just need to "peel back" the top trim piece enough to gain access. And please pay attention to the notes about the area around the sub when applying layers of butyl:

(I got my screen replaced under my credit card warranty phew!)

@ilovecoffee Great video! I would like to add one more thing that I haven't seen people talk about. Around the time Cyber Rodeo was announced Tesla started adding a sound damping pad to the rear piece casting. I was watching this Munro Live video:

I attempted to try to do the same with the butyl rubber in this area that is below the subtrunk. At first I added too much and covered the entire area which made certain low frequencies worse. So, I ended up trimming more to get it closer to what is in the picture. It seems the size and placement does make a difference. After trimming it and getting it closer to the picture from cyber rodeo it made a noticeable difference in reducing or shifting the frequency of the booming. It is not as big of a difference as the quarter panels, but I figure every little bit helps. :)
I do have it there as well (although I covered quite a bit more but only 1 layer I think as I was also worried about the fit of the bucket after).

It's funny because I applied it everywhere EXCEPT the wheel well at first because I never lifted up that foam piece...so at first I was so dismayed that I wasted 3 hours installing it almost everywhere with no effect.

I do have it there as well (although I covered quite a bit more but only 1 layer I think as I was also worried about the fit of the bucket after).

It's funny because I applied it everywhere EXCEPT the wheel well at first because I never lifted up that foam piece...so at first I was so dismayed that I wasted 3 hours installing it almost everywhere with no effect.
Yeah, one layer didn't seem to make any difference and I covered the whole 2nd shallow sub trunk area! That was before the Sandy video. I ended up with 2 or 3 layers of butyl(I don't remember sadly) in that 2nd shallow sub trunk area. I thought I have plenty of extra butyl might as well cover the whole area with multiple layers, but covering more area than what is pictured in the Munro video seemed to make certain really low frequency sounds louder. I noticed putting the butyl on that hump causes some sort of interference that helps.

Ah, thanks! Is this area hard to get to?

I just ordered two packs of these, 10 sheets in total:

Plan is to add 4 each to the wheels and the remaining two in that spot.

I don't even have the car yet, but during the test drive I had quite strong pressure in my ears so I am preparing all the materials for the fixes in advance.
I would expect all new 2022's produced now and going forward to have the sound damping pad that Sandy Munro pointed out. Adding sound proofing to the wheel wells as ilovecoffee showed in his video makes a big difference!