Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early 2013 P85+ to 2022 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - I've been on this forum since 2013 and had the first P+ delivered in San Diego. I've stuck with that car throughout all the tempting iterations. I've driven every single version of the MS through friends and loaner cars. We've had X's and I've driven the M3P for a long rental and we now have a MY to replace our MX.

The P+ was a real beast in its day, and through the 90+k miles I had it we took it on every conceivable adventure you can imagine (as I've written about many of them on this forum). The Plaid was too much to resist and thus had to finally upgrade. Here is the comparison. Not surprisingly, 10 years of Tesla innovations leads to a completely different experience.

Exterior Looks: To Elon-simps like me, I can spot the new S a mile away. For 90+% of the general population they will not know the difference between this and 40 kWh version of the Model S (are there any left?). For me this is a big advantage because I dont want any extra attention. Personally love the more aggressive stance and front lights and blacked out trim.

Interior: Wow, they finally figured out how to make a luxury interior. Love everything about it. I love the Yoke (I grew up on Knight Rider), I love the absence of stalks. I love the transmission swipe. I love seeing the advanced suspension settings. The kids love the rear screen. Still need to see if their bluetooth headphones will let them watch their stuff while I listen to music on the speakers. love the folding rear middle seat that turns it into executive seating. Love the cupholder arrangement in front with the elegant moving doors. Love the magnetic holders in the tailgate. Seats feel supportive and magnificent, like Elon said the 2012/early 2013 seats were basically like sitting on a piece of cardboard. The cooling seats REALLY WORK 100%. We had them on our 2016 X and they were completely useless. The climate control is powerful and works great (someone on another thread was complaining about heating but ours heats quickly like a furnace!). The interior is super quiet even at highway speed compared to the P+ and I dont even have noise cancellation yet. Audio sounds great (but I'm not an audiophile and even the P+ sounded great to me).

Tech upgrades: Love the inductive chargers all over the place (4 total). Love not needing a key fob anymore. Love being able to use Sentry to watch the cameras on my car or talk through the boombox. Love having autopilot (goes to 90 like our X did instead of 80 like the now radar-less Y and 3). Love all the driver assist features and FSD viewing. Love having basically double the usable range. My P+ charged 90% to about 208, plaid = 313. My average consumption on P+ was always 400+ whereas after a couple hundred miles on Plaid its 320 (flooring it often).

Handling/Feel: Feels far more planted and solid than my antique P+ which, at the time, felt as good as the BMW M3 I came from. Now the P+ feels more like a boat in comparison to the Plaid. The MY feels more fun to drive than the P+ but the handling of the Plaid just feels like another level. Very little body roll, adaptive suspension is just incredible. Really feels like you are driving on rails. Also, it feels really well put together. Unlike basically every other iteration of dual motor S and X's, this one has no unusual sounds, no flutter, no vibrations (not yet atleast), no crazy sounds from the front end on full acceleration (every single X and S I have driven with dual motor has the dreaded shudder).

Performance: What can I say that has not been said before? Flooring it at 80 feels like flooring it at 0. It is like a time machine fast and if you are a passenger your head will be glued to the headrest and you wont be able to remove it. Obviously the P+ is like a rickshaw compared to this thing but more importantly, at freeway speeds when you need to quickly pass or do something, the P+ had very little torque left whereas the Plaid doesnt care what speed you are going, it always feels the same.

What I miss from P+: SUNROOF SUNROOF SUNROOF. If they ever release one I suppose I'll have to sell this and get another. I also miss the third row for kids. Finally, I miss the cavernous FRUNK that I can store a comical amount of stuff in.

I was worried that I would have some sort of defect on delivery but I have gone through the checklist and pretty much inspected every pixel of the car inside and out. It is flawless (which is a first for me - even our Y was misaligned at delivery. Every single Tesla we have had needed to go back to service for something). I was worried that I was still too early here but it looks like they figured out how to build these. My P+ had been serviced prob 100 times and has been completely rebuilt over the years. In fact its in service again now!

Bottom line is that if you are a rare duck like me and have an early MS (I didnt even have parking sensors or folding mirrors) then this upgrade is worth it despite losing your sunroof.

IMG_1270.jpeg

Awesome review.

But wow… over 100 times for service on your old car? Ouch. Thats a lot for even a super early production.
LOL yup. In the early days it was "invisible love" and they would quietly replace my car at work with a loaner and I didnt mind. They used to even troll the forums. Once I was asking about an unusual sound and they contacted me minutes later to tell me they would take my car ASAP. All suspensions, subframe, battery, motor (2x!), AC, heater, steering assembly. You name it, its been replaced or fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Hi All - I've been on this forum since 2013 and had the first P+ delivered in San Diego. I've stuck with that car throughout all the tempting iterations. I've driven every single version of the MS through friends and loaner cars. We've had X's and I've driven the M3P for a long rental and we now have a MY to replace our MX.

The P+ was a real beast in its day, and through the 90+k miles I had it we took it on every conceivable adventure you can imagine (as I've written about many of them on this forum). The Plaid was too much to resist and thus had to finally upgrade. Here is the comparison. Not surprisingly, 10 years of Tesla innovations leads to a completely different experience.

Exterior Looks: To Elon-simps like me, I can spot the new S a mile away. For 90+% of the general population they will not know the difference between this and 40 kWh version of the Model S (are there any left?). For me this is a big advantage because I dont want any extra attention. Personally love the more aggressive stance and front lights and blacked out trim.

Interior: Wow, they finally figured out how to make a luxury interior. Love everything about it. I love the Yoke (I grew up on Knight Rider), I love the absence of stalks. I love the transmission swipe. I love seeing the advanced suspension settings. The kids love the rear screen. Still need to see if their bluetooth headphones will let them watch their stuff while I listen to music on the speakers. love the folding rear middle seat that turns it into executive seating. Love the cupholder arrangement in front with the elegant moving doors. Love the magnetic holders in the tailgate. Seats feel supportive and magnificent, like Elon said the 2012/early 2013 seats were basically like sitting on a piece of cardboard. The cooling seats REALLY WORK 100%. We had them on our 2016 X and they were completely useless. The climate control is powerful and works great (someone on another thread was complaining about heating but ours heats quickly like a furnace!). The interior is super quiet even at highway speed compared to the P+ and I dont even have noise cancellation yet. Audio sounds great (but I'm not an audiophile and even the P+ sounded great to me).

Tech upgrades: Love the inductive chargers all over the place (4 total). Love not needing a key fob anymore. Love being able to use Sentry to watch the cameras on my car or talk through the boombox. Love having autopilot (goes to 90 like our X did instead of 80 like the now radar-less Y and 3). Love all the driver assist features and FSD viewing. Love having basically double the usable range. My P+ charged 90% to about 208, plaid = 313. My average consumption on P+ was always 400+ whereas after a couple hundred miles on Plaid its 320 (flooring it often).

Handling/Feel: Feels far more planted and solid than my antique P+ which, at the time, felt as good as the BMW M3 I came from. Now the P+ feels more like a boat in comparison to the Plaid. The MY feels more fun to drive than the P+ but the handling of the Plaid just feels like another level. Very little body roll, adaptive suspension is just incredible. Really feels like you are driving on rails. Also, it feels really well put together. Unlike basically every other iteration of dual motor S and X's, this one has no unusual sounds, no flutter, no vibrations (not yet atleast), no crazy sounds from the front end on full acceleration (every single X and S I have driven with dual motor has the dreaded shudder).

Performance: What can I say that has not been said before? Flooring it at 80 feels like flooring it at 0. It is like a time machine fast and if you are a passenger your head will be glued to the headrest and you wont be able to remove it. Obviously the P+ is like a rickshaw compared to this thing but more importantly, at freeway speeds when you need to quickly pass or do something, the P+ had very little torque left whereas the Plaid doesnt care what speed you are going, it always feels the same.

What I miss from P+: SUNROOF SUNROOF SUNROOF. If they ever release one I suppose I'll have to sell this and get another. I also miss the third row for kids. Finally, I miss the cavernous FRUNK that I can store a comical amount of stuff in.

I was worried that I would have some sort of defect on delivery but I have gone through the checklist and pretty much inspected every pixel of the car inside and out. It is flawless (which is a first for me - even our Y was misaligned at delivery. Every single Tesla we have had needed to go back to service for something). I was worried that I was still too early here but it looks like they figured out how to build these. My P+ had been serviced prob 100 times and has been completely rebuilt over the years. In fact its in service again now!

Bottom line is that if you are a rare duck like me and have an early MS (I didnt even have parking sensors or folding mirrors) then this upgrade is worth it despite losing your sunroof.

View attachment 746228
A few weeks out and weighing the pro/cons on getting FSD. What are your favorite features and do you recommend it given the price tag?

I don’t have a long enough commute to justify it. On the odd occasion that I might drive a little longer the standard autopilot is enough for me. So for me I viewed this more as an Elon-tax rather than a truly useful thing for me. Of course if the long term plan works out and these cars are really robo-taxis then the 10k will be a bargain.

Bottom line is I love driving this car and don’t want it to do that for me.

Thank you for posting this review. As someone new to Tesla with a plaid on order I've been reading these forums in absolute horror for the last couple days seriously pondering cancelling my order with a car set to arrive on Monday. I've been around long enough to know that the bad reviews will always outweigh the good but this forum would have you believing every Tesla in existence is riddled with horrific issues resulting in nothing short of pain and suffering. I'm very pleased to know that you are very happy with yours!

Reactions: KOL2000
Thank you for posting this review. As someone new to Tesla with a plaid on order I've been reading these forums in absolute horror for the last couple days seriously pondering cancelling my order with a car set to arrive on Monday. I've been around long enough to know that the bad reviews will always outweigh the good but this forum would have you believing every Tesla in existence is riddled with horrific issues resulting in nothing short of pain and suffering. I'm very pleased to know that you are very happy with yours!
You will love the car, even if there are a few kinks to work out. Reading the forum shortly after a major firmware update is bound to provide a skewed overall perspective given people unhappy with both changes to legacy features and inevitable new bugs due to insufficient testing. If you asked every 2021+ driver if they could reverse their purchase today, I would bet the take rate would be a couple percent.

Reactions: KOL2000
KOL2000,

I am going through roughly the same process, I have a March 2013 P85 (with literally no options aside from the trunk seats - "parking sensors, folding mirrors", what are those ?).

The P+ was indeed a beast for its time, the suspension was clearly improved compared to the original P design. I had one once as a loaner and took my time to recover mine once work was completed :cool:

Although my wife is vetoing Plaid quite vociferously, I appreciate your overview of the current S compared to our "vintage of vintage" cars.

Ordered a LR S, expected delivery July 2022 in Canada.

@Jeeps17 I swear I could've written that same exact post. We have almost the same car, same experience with P85+ loaners, and my wife would veto the Plaid too. We don't have a new MSLR order yet but we came close this fall, and there's a good chance we'll pull the trigger when we feel our 2013 P85 is becoming more expense/hassle to maintain than it's worth.

Though we also have an R1T preorder that could possibly get built in 1.5-2 years. We're not in a rush, no decision yet whether we'll actually pull the trigger on it when the time comes, but if we do it would replace our S. Not sporty, but we would actually put the utility of a pickup to use these days. We're hauling so much big and often dirty stuff in our old S lately that I'd cringe doing it in a brand new one. Plus the Rivian looks like its own kind of fun. I don't think I'd do any serious offroading with a shiny brand new $70k+ vehicle, but I could see taking it deep into fire roads and such where I wouldn't take our Teslas.

(Not going Cybertruck, too long, couldn't park it in our city garage or driveway. R1T is already borderline there.)

Reactions: KOL2000 and Jeeps17

View attachment 746228
Hi - Here a question from a 1960’s biker.
Can you program a second Iphone as a key fob for an S? Can you do this with a Iphone 6 - an older phone? AND is there a USB port somewhere in my 2021 S and I cant find it? Love the new uncircular wheel. Thanks

View attachment 746228
From a 1960’d biker. Is there a USB port in my 2021 S? Where did they hide it? AND can I program a second Iphone as a key fob? The phone is an I phone 6. Is it too old? No trouble w my I12. Thanks

Hi - Here a question from a 1960’s biker.
Can you program a second Iphone as a key fob for an S? Can you do this with a Iphone 6 - an older phone? AND is there a USB port somewhere in my 2021 S and I cant find it? Love the new uncircular wheel. Thanks
Oh yes you can add multiple phones. Wife’s phone and mine are connected. Don’t know about older phones but if they have Bluetooth I assume it’s ok. There are USB-C ports in the center console just keep looking you’ll find them.

LOL yup. In the early days it was "invisible love" and they would quietly replace my car at work with a loaner and I didnt mind. They used to even troll the forums. Once I was asking about an unusual sound and they contacted me minutes later to tell me they would take my car ASAP. All suspensions, subframe, battery, motor (2x!), AC, heater, steering assembly. You name it, its been replaced or fixed.
Man, I miss those days...

Welcome to the P85+ to Plaid club! I too came from the M series BMW back in 2013 (M5) and agree with your comments. Just wait til you get Track Mode! I had a P3+ before the Plaid so am very familiar with Track Mode. On the Plaid it’s even more amazing. Really like driving on rails, better brake feel, lots of fun up in the mountains.

I also commented here on TMC back in the early days about my wall charger overheating… and received an unsolicited email from Tesla later that day offering a replacement. Yep those were the days of over the top service!

Reactions: KOL2000 and tm1v2
Thanks for sharing your experience, @KOL2000! So happy to hear your positive experience! As I await my Plaid upgrade from my 2017 75D, I’ve been chronicling all of the upgrades I have to look forward to. I’m up to 2 pages of iCloud notes, ha ha. 🤪 Can’t wait to actually experience Plaid for myself!
You'll love it! And the track mode basically turns the car into a Mclaren/Lambo (handling wise, not slow like those cars haha) - super fun on the twisty roads just use with caution of course!