Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early '22 Exterior Refresh Tracking (Lights, Charging Door, Appliqué delete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been derailing this thread long enough and think it's time to make this its own space.

I will be going to the factory every weekend until I see these changes rolling off the line and keeping this thread posted.

What's known so far:
  • Tesla has mules in a Taiwan showroom with different headlights, taillights, charging port design, and a body color appliqué delete
  • We've seen them in Fremont Factory validation area and near old HQ on deer creek (I also saw a MSM one near old HQ a few days ago)
  • Drone footage seems to show a few in the main staging lot at Fremont (no black appliqué), they have been there at least for a few days based on other drone footage
  • My factory visit a few days ago didn't show any of the refreshed Model S in the forward delivery lot for local customers, and I saw Model S with old design on a dispatch truck going out for delivery
What we can speculate with some confidence:
  • Tesla has been manufacturing Model S with the new exterior changes for at least a few days
  • I have heard from trusted internal sources Tesla does not communicate changes like this to its delivery team until about two weeks after they've been manufacturing the change (This means your delivery staff will find out when you do, from Twitter)
  • We could see the online configurator updated at the earnings call next week
  • This isn't just for CCS market cars, all S are made in Fremont and maintaining line complexity around this, especially when considering the appliqué, don't make sense
  • At least the headlights may not be easily retrofitted due to LED matrix and different data connectors (I don't think the 3/Y were retrofittable but if I am wrong please correct me!)

I delayed my Model S after VIN match to end of March to be safe.

Last edited:
I've been derailing this thread long enough and think it's time to make this its own space.

I will be going to the factory every weekend until I see these changes rolling off the line and keeping this thread posted.

What's known so far:
  • Tesla has mules in a Taiwan showroom with different headlights, taillights, charging port design, and a body color appliqué delete
  • We've seen them in Fremont Factory validation area and near old HQ on deer creek (I also saw a MSM one near old HQ a few days ago)
  • Drone footage seems to show a few in the main staging lot at Fremont (no black appliqué), they have been there at least for a few days based on other drone footage
  • My factory visit a few days ago didn't show any of the refreshed Model S in the forward delivery lot for local customers, and I saw Model S with old design on a dispatch truck going out for delivery
  • Tesla has been manufacturing Model S with the new exterior changes for at least a few days
  • I have heard from trusted internal sources Tesla does not communicate changes like this to its delivery team until about two weeks after they've been manufacturing the change (This means your delivery staff will find out when you do, from Twitter)
  • This isn't just for CCS market cars, all S are made in Fremont and maintaining line complexity around this, especially when considering the appliqué, don't make sense
  • At least the headlights may not be easily retrofitted due to LED matrix and different data connectors (I don't think the 3/Y were retrofittable but if I am wrong please correct me!)

How did you delay until end of March? My VIN match occurred last weekend and my SA would only allow a hold until 1/31.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

What's known so far:

The hero we need. Thanks for all your work! At what time in the 1/17 drone video can you see the updated cars?

How did you delay until end of March? My VIN match occurred last weekend and my SA would only allow a hold until 1/31.

I'd find another SA. I had zero issue asking for March but I have known them for years.

The hero we need. Thanks for all your work! At what time in the 1/17 drone video can you see the updated cars?

At 0:43 the red one near the tent doesn't have a blacked out appliqué and @travwill spotted one little after 1:35 with a white S that doesn't have it either (super easy to spot on white color, you can see others in lot with it).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I'd find another SA. I had zero issue asking for March but I have known them for years.

At 0:43 the red one near the tent doesn't have a blacked out appliqué and @travwill spotted one little after 1:35 with a white S that doesn't have it either (super easy to spot on white color, you can see others in lot with it).
How do you find another SA? I’ve been texting one number since I ordered my car in July.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the current offering with the S/X specific appliqué and headlights/tailights. New ones look like the 3/Y and the appliqué gives more character to the rear
The matrix headlight is supposed to look similar to the current one but with day n night improvement in lighting performance and features. Porsche charges thousands for matrix headlight let alone making it black

But I also like the black appliqué.

How do you find another SA? I’ve been texting one number since I ordered my car in July.

I think you have a few options... one would be to call a local delivery center instead of trying to go through an SA. Another would be going into your nearest Tesla store or calling and asking for help that way. Just have your reservation number handy and be super nice. :)

So does this mean it’s in fact cutting over, just not official yet?

I have my EDD Feb 9 - Mar 9.

Definitely not official by any means but I think there's a rather decent shot of you getting them.

There is zero confirmation and a Tesla semi full of speculation.

Absolutely! haha, and now it seems like apparently there's this rumor from somebody's SA about a new battery too.

@B-lon - thanks for doing this. It is really helpful. With my EDD just pushed several weeks, I feel there is a slim chance might get the new lights if it comes toward the tail end of the delivery period.

I don't care about the taillights as much as I do getting the new headlights.

Happy to help! I think it could go either way for you. My last S had the old headlights they're fine. I'm sure you'll love the car either way! My next S will be my third Tesla.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the current offering with the S/X specific appliqué and headlights/tailights. New ones look like the 3/Y and the appliqué gives more character to the rear

There's a sort of timeless debate in automotive shape language between homogony of brand (i.e. look at Mercedes-Benz lineups past 40 years, or to be specific the removal of the fender flare from W221 to W222 S-Class models) and character/recognizability of individual vehicles. It seems Franz is going more into the direction of brand recognition over individual vehicle, at least in high-end consumer level sedan segment.

For the brand, I think that makes the most sense for S/3/X/Y and to reserve iconic shape language for CT and Roadster but there's obviously no right or wrong way to see this of course! Both can be great depending on execution, and Franz + co can execute that's for sure.

The matrix headlight is supposed to look similar to the current one but with day n night improvement in lighting performance and features. Porsche charges thousands for matrix headlight let alone making it black

But I also like the black appliqué.

I'd look at how the new 3/Y headlamp performs and expect similar results.

As for looks, based on all photos we have seen you'll definitely need a very keen eye to tell the difference unless headlights are on (note: not daytime running lights those are the exact same based on what we can see).

Agree, I like the back as is with the black bar, but the more modern blurred tail lights would be cool. For headlights, I'd really like those though - I live where it is pitch black, rural Texas, and lights definitely help every single night (avoiding the tons of deer we see each night, etc.).

Hopefully but feeling that my NF467 set for delivery next week on 1/27 probably is the old stuff.... but the car will be great anyways!

Agree, I like the back as is with the black bar, but the more modern blurred tail lights would be cool. For headlights, I'd really like those though - I live where it is pitch black, rural Texas, and lights definitely help every single night (avoiding the tons of deer we see each night, etc.).

Hopefully but feeling that my NF467 set for delivery next week on 1/27 probably is the old stuff.... but the car will be great anyways!

I think you are possibly in the first batch to get them if the theory about the configurator being updated on the following day to your delivery is true.

I don’t hate the look, however its a 11 year old design. The age of the design is what bothers me. The S design over all has aged better than any other car, in my opinion.

Is this what we are talking about at 0:43? I wish someone would just go there and do another closer flyover to confirm?

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.02.29 PM.png

Is this what we are talking about at 0:43? I wish someone would just go there and do another closer flyover to confirm?

View attachment 757326
Yes and you can see other angles of it in the video by scrubbing and also looking at the videos on that channel from earlier in the month with that vehicle still there.

I am not brave enough to fly my drone over the factory but I will be heading there again next weekend!

Yes and you can see other angles of it in the video by scrubbing and also looking at the videos on that channel from earlier in the month with that vehicle still there.

I am not brave enough to fly my drone over the factory but I will be heading there again next weekend!
@B-lon what do you think -
Could these be test mulls given they are next to the test track as well as sitting there for days?...
Part of me wonders if we could assume mass production with updated hardware.