Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early '22 Exterior Refresh Tracking (Lights, Charging Door, Appliqué delete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm, found over on the Twitter... ;)

One of the changes might be the ability to choose a round steering wheel on the refresh?

(Screen shots attached)

Attachments

• FMUhigHXwAIUxdx.jpg
    FMUhigHXwAIUxdx.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 122
  • FMUh0FkXsAAboz8.png
    FMUh0FkXsAAboz8.png
    29 KB · Views: 95
Like the lights in the door pockets, in the driver and passenger footwell, and in the rear passenger foot area? I didn't know these were not in newer vehicles. Is there a thread about this that I cannot find?
Yeah and they are also dim and not customizable (color wise) like a lot of luxury cars on the market. I thank even some Hondas and Toyotas have ambient colored lighting, something I like to add to the experience of driving in the cabin.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I think someone posted (@omarsultan maybe) their Dyno mode where it showed "light package" and I wonder if that is what they are referring to.
Yeah I did -- at the time, my headlight package was listed as "premium" which also kinda matches the description of the headlights in the EPC "HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL". I've been waiting for the new headlights to show up in the EPC to see if I can order them, but they have not shown up yet.

Yes, the nosecone was a grievous error. But perhaps necessary for the hardware behind it at the time. I have to only think there was something different they could have done, but I wasn't making that call.
IIRC, part of the reason for the nosecone was to keep the design familiar and not weird, so you got the pseudo grille.

Yeah I did -- at the time, my headlight package was listed as "premium" which also kinda matches the description of the headlights in the EPC "HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL". I've been waiting for the new headlights to show up in the EPC to see if I can order them, but they have not shown up yet.
The old ones pre refresh have the same part number and are called UPLEVEL as well. There was a base headlight back before maybe 2018 or so. The matrix lights are referred to as GLOBAL on the models that have had both.

I can now clear up a few things since this is in the air:
  • S line change (everything I mentioned in original post) is NOT complete but should be this week, so deliveries in ~1-2 weeks
  • I am not sure if appliqué will end up body colored or black. I've seen both. Most recent mules I've seen have body color and that's my guess.
  • S/X do NOT have radar anymore and running pure vision now (idk if this is actually new but it was called out on what's been shared with me)
  • X line change is already complete and deliveries as soon as 1-2 days from now
  • X does NOT have this new headlights, only rear changes
My order remains on hold until I hear about a few other things, but I expect to lift it shortly.

Looks like you were (sadly) right about S/X going to Vision:

Still seems strange to me they had to shut down the line for so long just for the few changes...

The list as I have seen it is: headlights / tails / appliqué / Badge / Radar....

We know the main body parts aren't changing, I doubt the wiring is changing (would they really change an entire harness just to remove the radar wires?) Even if they did change wiring harnesses, wouldn't the install be the same?

Seems to be more to this change? Of course not all changes will be obvious, I am not implying we are getting more feature changes than listed, but still seems more is happening, even if behind the scenes....

I joked in another thread that maybe they were fixing the center console light issue, maybe that is kicking their tail? 🤣

Still seems strange to me they had to shut down the line for so long just for the few changes...

The list as I have seen it is: headlights / tails / appliqué / Badge / Radar....

We know the main body parts aren't changing, I doubt the wiring is changing (would they really change an entire harness just to remove the radar wires?) Even if they did change wiring harnesses, wouldn't the install be the same?

Seems to be more to this change? Of course not all changes will be obvious, I am not implying we are getting more feature changes than listed, but still seems more is happening, even if behind the scenes....

I joked in another thread that maybe they were fixing the center console light issue, maybe that is kicking their tail? 🤣
Yeah there definitely could be more to it, and I did hear that they are making some good changes underneath the skin to improve the car after producing it for 8 months. Just small little improvements that we likely won't notice.
And they could've also run into a small issue, or decided to change something during the shutdown. I'm hoping the lines come back online today.

Reactions: Daniel454

Secret changeover to the Tilting screen?

Sad to say it, but more likely that they are actually removing all of the mechanisms for the tilting screen to save cost, since it makes no sense to have that in the car when it does nothing, and likely won't ever do anything. I wish it would happen, but unlikely I think.
Ahhh yes, I could see that as being part of it and that might be a significant enough change to need to shut down for a bit.

If they take the radar sensors off the new cars will just turn them off for the existing one with radar with software.

Reactions: mswlogo

Yep. My post about all that stuff was literally from internal docs, not my predictions. :)

If they take the radar sensors off the new cars will just turn them off for the existing one with radar with software.

Exactly. Radar use is going away in ~6mo for all cars with a FSD computer.