Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early '22 Exterior Refresh Tracking (Lights, Charging Door, Appliqué delete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spoke to the mobile tech (out to fix my charge port) about the headlights and the ability to retrofit and he said he doesn't believe they will do that. He said he saw an article Tesla put out about not doing retrofits (I'm paraphrasing here, my security cam didn't catch all the conversation :D ). Sad news, I was really hoping to be able to change them :(
How about a retrofit for the taillights? Probably not with the charge port but it would definitely be nice.

How about a retrofit for the taillights? Probably not with the charge port but it would definitely be nice.
I am actually thinking that might be closer to possible. The charge port wiring (the high voltage wires) hasn't changed, just the light ring and it was replaced with the multi color LED "T". Guessing the connectors are the same on the inside.... Truly just a guess though.

• Helpful
Reactions: HELLAWATTS
I didn't ask specifically, but I think when he spoke about Tesla not retrofitting, it was retrofitting in general and not just the matrix headlights.
Two different types of retrofits though. One, where Tesla does the retrofit, that I am almost certain is off the table for any of the light changes. But retrofitting something on your own may still be possible in some cases. I highly doubt it for the headlights, but tails I am optimistic about....

As long as the wiring hasn't changed and their isn't some special logic / identifiers that have changed, then it should be transparent to the computer.

Well, this is depressing. Think I need to block myself from these forums. Was happy with the car and now accepting the sad reality it’s outdated after 2 months.
Such is the nature of Tesla. Always and never a good time to buy one. This is also a hallmark of any of their refreshed or new models. Most will undergo some form or update or change within the first 6-8 months as they streamline their production.

Personally I think tesla just wanted to get the revised S out there as fast as possible as S sales were waning behind due to outdated interior. They should have just updated the lights at their first release. Someone was sleeping at the wheel on external look!

Just keep enjoying the car and tbh most people don’t know the diff unless up close or really care about Tesla.

Well, this is depressing. Think I need to block myself from these forums. Was happy with the car and now accepting the sad reality it’s outdated after 2 months.
There's a lot more coming to this car this year, and next year... and the year after that... etc.

Always a new thing to look forward to for your next Tesla. I'll be on my third one next month. :)

And there'll be things I wish I had a little bit just a few months after I get mine. But that's fine, because like I said, there's always something to look forward to in your next car!

AF95FF01-42FC-4637-976B-087C5FA477B3.jpeg

All
Cars made since November have push horn !!!

As far as year over year updates go, this is tiny compared to normal gas cars and compared with MS 2020 to 2021. Think about how older model years continue to get OTA updates to keep up with the latest and greatest Tesla features on par with current model years.

I for one love that I was one of the first to have this car and got to spend half a year cruising around with it.

As far as year over year updates go, this is tiny compared to normal gas cars and compared with MS 2020 to 2021. Think about how older model years continue to get OTA updates to keep up with the latest and greatest Tesla features on par with current model years.

I for one love that I was one of the first to have this car and got to spend half a year cruising around with it.
you are right, I’m definitely looking at it glass half empty and not appreciating the fact that we are still getting updates, granted many of the updates are for things promised at car release and/or things other luxury cars already have. Getting a new light show or fart horn feature isn’t super exciting for me.

Many people also got the car closer to end of 2021, so I guess there was a bit less time to enjoy it before the new update hit. However, agreed it’s a fact of technology and most consumer products, we’ll always be out of date at some point. I don’t know why I have a harder time digesting this when my Mercedes’ gets more out of date every year, perhaps it’s the unpredictability nature of tesla.

Reactions: hotsoup

Agreed. I have had the extreme pleasure of 8 -9 months and 26,000 miles. Perfectly content with current front/rear lights.

Would I like the new fronts - absolutely. But I also realize that matrix, while just becoming legal in the US, is a new tech to Tesla who likes to figure these things on there own. Cue the ANC-->ARNR crew. Who knows where the lights will shine the first time the matrix are used - my guess it will just make a farting noise and flash the parking lights. In time Tesla will make these matrix into a masterpiece - but how many months before that happens. At least now, the hardware is in place and they can go to the next step.

Rears - no. They got a piece of it but hit the ball foul. Diffused is the way to go but they cheapened it to make a brand statement and taking the "TESLA" off the center bar is a fail in my opinion. With no "TESLA" they should have made it body color. The new X rear lights left the intruding black "TESLA" marked bar - it looks great. Charging door is swing and a miss for me but I understand why they did it that way and it makes sense in Teslaverse.

Also, to retrofit the high stop lamp, you need to remove the rear window and that will 95% break it for a replacement. (They had to replace mine months ago and also replaced the rear hatch window.)

Has anyone posted any other changes since the refresh's refresh?

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBob 909
Agreed. I have had the extreme pleasure of 8 -9 months and 26,000 miles. Perfectly content with current front/rear lights.

Would I like the new fronts - absolutely. But I also realize that matrix, while just becoming legal in the US, is a new tech to Tesla who likes to figure these things on there own. Cue the ANC-->ARNR crew. Who knows where the lights will shine the first time the matrix are used - my guess it will just make a farting noise and flash the parking lights. In time Tesla will make these matrix into a masterpiece - but how many months before that happens. At least now, the hardware is in place and they can go to the next step.

Rears - no. They got a piece of it but hit the ball foul. Diffused is the way to go but they cheapened it to make a brand statement and taking the "TESLA" off the center bar is a fail in my opinion. With no "TESLA" they should have made it body color. The new X rear lights left the intruding black "TESLA" marked bar - it looks great. Charging door is swing and a miss for me but I understand why they did it that way and it makes sense in Teslaverse.

Also, to retrofit the high stop lamp, you need to remove the rear window and that will 95% break it for a replacement. (They had to replace mine months ago and also replaced the rear hatch window.)

Has anyone posted any other changes since the refresh's refresh?
You nailed about all of them that I know of. Other than Elon saying cars made since November have the ability to honk from the airbag, but not yet firmware enabled. Beyond that, any other changes are not obvious ones.

You nailed about all of them that I know of. Other than Elon saying cars made since November have the ability to honk from the airbag, but not yet firmware enabled. Beyond that, any other changes are not obvious ones.

Not sure the horn is an issue for me either. After 26k miles, I have honked the horn less than 10 times - four of those where playing with mashing the right side of the yoke to see if it would work.

Reactions: cwanja
Hey guys,

Iliya from TWRAPS here. I see Tesla is already delivering Model S with new door sills and new tail lights. If any of you got one of these and you are in the Bay Area (CA), please DM me if you are willing to meet so I can make models for the new door sills (for PPF and carbon fiber options) and tail lights (for tint). Obviously - you will get them for free too :)

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Iliya from TWRAPS here. I see Tesla is already delivering Model S with new door sills and new tail lights. If any of you got one of these and you are in the Bay Area (CA), please DM me if you are willing to meet so I can make models for the new door sills (for PPF and carbon fiber options) and tail lights (for tint). Obviously - you will get them for free too :)

Thanks!

If nobody follows up with this I am getting my car in a few weeks it looks like and can arrange something if you want. (Off to PPF/paint correction for a week early April so tight window)

BTW I don't imagine the door sills are different. Have you heard otherwise?