Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early '22 Exterior Refresh Tracking (Lights, Charging Door, Appliqué delete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still going with 0.1% chance it is able to be retrofit.

Bet it is at least 10x that. :)

1648052176251.png

Taillights are probably going to be like the early request for camera upgrade / installation. Too much to change. Trunk, rear fenders and taillights. Just will not be cost advantageous to do it.
Trunk nor the fenders changed. Only changes were the lights and the bar across the trunk (and it still installs the same).

The biggest issue I see is the wiring / support for the new charge port and door.

Saw the new '22 refreshed taillights in person today at the SC. Not impressed. Looked like a slightly wider model 3 it was sitting next to. Not a good look to emulate the cheap model on the flagship car. Like my '22 pre-refresh better. Also had the new/original plaid logo badge on the trunk, also not a fan, it's corny.
Disagree.

I think it looks super clean, esepcially on a black one. I love the updated LED third brake light, diffused LEDs and dedicated turn signal, which btw is now amber, (how it should be!)

I want them. If I can't swap them, I'm really considering trading mine in for the re-refresh. Part of this is because our current tailight is like 10+ years. I know, Tesla was probably hoping for suckers like me but it is what it is.

Agree with you on the Plaid badge. The lettering is much cleaner.

te1.jpg
te2.jpg

te3.jpg

Last edited:
Disagree.

I think it looks super clean, esepcially on a black one. I love the updated LED third brake light, diffused LEDs and dedicated turn signal, which btw is now amber, (how it should be!)

I want them. If I can't swap them, I'm really considering trading mine in for the re-refresh. Part of this is because our current tailight is like 10+ years. I know, Tesla was probably hoping for suckers like me but it is what it is.

Agree with you on the Plaid badge. The lettering is much cleaner.
In case you are actually looking, here is some info since we both are in Toronto:

I was looking at a swap of my MS LR MSM (had 3.5K KM on it; no FSD and with 21" Arachnids) for the new one. Prior to the price increase, I would be losing about $9K on it: I paid $147K after tax + $4K PPF/Ceramic/Tint + $2.4K winters = $153.4K and was about to lock in a deal for $144K sale. Could have been a $5K loss if you didn't add all the extra stuff I spent on it.

However, the other things I considered was that I locked in my car loan at 2.65% for 6 years fixed; now it is 3.5% (works to be another couple $K), play the lottery of a wait game (I got my last LR within 2 weeks of placing an order through a rep, but I saw others haven't been lucky); and you play the roulette of Canada luxury car tax that may/may not happen.

Not sure if you can recover the full $5K recent price increase in higher resale value now, so you could potentially be paying $10-15K for just these lights.

I wanted to like the new tails but in photos I'm like meh... the amber is nice, but why can't they be animated like every other high end car?

The new headlights look worse during the day but better at night with the old school projector. But it sounds like it will be very difficult to upgrade, and not worth the hassle.

Better luck next cycle!

In case you are actually looking, here is some info since we both are in Toronto:

I was looking at a swap of my MS LR MSM (had 3.5K KM on it; no FSD and with 21" Arachnids) for the new one. Prior to the price increase, I would be losing about $9K on it: I paid $147K after tax + $4K PPF/Ceramic/Tint + $2.4K winters = $153.4K and was about to lock in a deal for $144K sale. Could have been a $5K loss if you didn't add all the extra stuff I spent on it.

However, the other things I considered was that I locked in my car loan at 2.65% for 6 years fixed; now it is 3.5% (works to be another couple $K), play the lottery of a wait game (I got my last LR within 2 weeks of placing an order through a rep, but I saw others haven't been lucky); and you play the roulette of Canada luxury car tax that may/may not happen.

Not sure if you can recover the full $5K recent price increase in higher resale value now, so you could potentially be paying $10-15K for just these lights.
Oh I thought the luxury tax was already in play? It was actually why I rushed my order prior to Jan '22.

Eithe way, yea, it will def be a hit do doubt. In my case, i'm looking at selling the Plaid and going with a refreshed LR. I'm not in any rush tho, so i'll keep it til I get what I want. Besides, I keep hearing that those putting in their orders now are getting matched up with pre-refresh LR/Plaid models and if they continue to refuse, the order will get cancelled.

I'm sure Tesla is trying really hard to push their pre-refresh inventory, which most probably don't want.

I wanted to like the new tails but in photos I'm like meh... the amber is nice, but why can't they be animated like every other high end car?

The new headlights look worse during the day but better at night with the old school projector. But it sounds like it will be very difficult to upgrade, and not worth the hassle.

Better luck next cycle!
The headlight during the day is not better or worse looking. It's just unique and new. I do love the look of them at night as all 4 lights are on and makes the car look even more aggressive.

DSC_4575.jpeg

DSC_4587.jpeg

DSC_4673.jpeg

Cornering lamps might be in the fog lamps now?

I had a friend test that out the other day. There's no cornering lamps at all... (currently). Maybe this will be added in software, I don't know...

Also, have I told you all how damn sexy and special the new charge port door is in the way it opens and closes? Have I? I have? Well, I'm telling you all again.

Reactions: mikemi
I had a friend test that out the other day. There's no cornering lamps at all... (currently). Maybe this will be added in software, I don't know...

Also, have I told you all how damn sexy and special the new charge port door is in the way it opens and closes? Have I? I have? Well, I'm telling you all again.
I think the lights project wide enough that it is not needed. But we will see.