Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Access Program (overflow from 2018.39 4a3910f thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people are seeing and increasing number of new folks on the Early Access Program because they encounter problems releasing v9. I can imagine the situation as follows:
- Eng: "We had to stop the rollout because we found a problem with the configuration XYZ"
- Elon: "Why don't we have that configuration in our Early Access Program?"
- Eng: "..."
- Elon: "Why don't we have all the possible configurations at least twice in our Early Access Program?"

Or maybe wasn't Elon and was some Engineering / Product manager. I personally hope this is what they are doing, that way they can do faster rollouts once it clears the testing phase.

Or more like:

Engineer: "Unfortunately, the automatic wiper logic isn't detecting rain"
Elon: The what?" (Turns to interviewer..."What would the world look like, if all the cars flew...on solar power?!?"
Engineer: "and sorry to interrupt, but the speed limit sign logic team has resigned en masse"
Elon: "Sorry what? (...types "Version 9 rollout starts tomorrow" into twitter...)
Engineer: "Yeah, at this point all we have working is the automatic lane change"
Elon: "Sweet!"
Engineer: "Unless a car is approaching at more than 15mph closing speed, in which case we can't detect it and there will be a collision...so we've added a 'Click OK to approve this lane change" prompt.
Elon: "So when can we make the NY to LA autonomous drive? November?"
Engineer: "..."

Curious: If they get booted does that mean we should see cars going from 39.4 back to 36.2? Is that possible? Also, if they wise up and stop logging on TeslaFi will we see the number drop because the cars are not longer "active". Not sure what TeslaFi does with stats on cars that are not longer active logging on their system. Or maybe they are still active because they still have an account but not logging. Again, just curious. I am a member of TeslaFi.
Had no idea Tesla had a problem with TeslaFi. Just cancelled my subscription.

Now I'm sure to get Early Access !

Had no idea Tesla had a problem with TeslaFi. Just cancelled my subscription.

Now I'm sure to get Early Access !
I don't think Tesla "dislikes" it. But they don't want info from early adopters leaking out. It pulls quite a bit of info from the car.

I use it and find it quite useful for the price, but wouldn't pay more.

Would cancel if Tesla said "you cancel TeslaFi and we will put you on the early list".

I don't think Tesla "dislikes" it. But they don't want info from early adopters leaking out. It pulls quite a bit of info from the car.

I use it and find it quite useful for the price, but wouldn't pay more.

Would cancel if Tesla said "you cancel TeslaFi and we will put you on the early list".

"early adopters" ........a new "special class" of owners....just what we need. And God forbid if information "leaked out" via Teslafi to us lower class untouchables. What a load of nonsense. V9 should be released to all of us, period. We have BETA rubber stamped on the stuff we have now. We definitely deserve better. Next we will see posts on secret handshakes for service centers. We drink the kool aid and it is amazing what WE as CUSTOMERS put up. Such nonsense.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy and croman
If you are in Early Access and want to follow the rules but like data logging I just found a gist with code that logs a Tesla's data into a private Google Sheet (I guess you own the data, not a 3rd party, so it follows the rules): Link to gist. Functionality seems minimal compared to something like TeslaFi, but you get an an hourly record (or more frequent if you set the trigger to a shorter interval).

"early adopters" ........a new "special class" of owners....just what we need. And God forbid if information "leaked out" via Teslafi to us lower class untouchables. What a load of nonsense. V9 should be released to all of us, period. We have BETA rubber stamped on the stuff we have now. We definitely deserve better. Next we will see posts on secret handshakes for service centers. We drink the kool aid and it is amazing what WE as CUSTOMERS put up. Such nonsense.

I want V9 as much as anyone and have been refreshing this thread constantly for updates, but I think this is a selfish point of view.

While WE want V9 immediately and understand the BETA stamp, shipping new features of automation before sufficient validation has the potential to harm OTHERS. So while we choose to accept that risk and promise to do our best to watch the car, there are ethical considerations around shipping the best you possible can when you feel the time is right for the safety of EVERYONE. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I was driving and another Tesla crashed into me due to a BETA feature. Seems like a quick way to get Tesla into hot water (hotter water, arguably).

I own my second Model S, I've owned a significant (6-figure $ amount, I'm sure its tiny compared to lots of you!) amount of stock for years and have never sold. I love Tesla. But I also want to be mindful of others.

So, let's get V9 when the engineering team feels ready to give us V9.

Those are the folks who got booted from the early access program for getting caught on this forum. All privileges revoked including v9!

I’m next probably

I hope you get booted.

If they have someone in Tacoma as part of the early access program then they're never going to be release it.

Although on the flip side once they do release it's going to be REALLY, REALLY good considering that Tacoma is basically a series of edge cases. :)

This line of conversation is starting to remind me of United Global Services; no published criteria for semi-hidden tier above the top customer tier. Constant online discussions of how to get in.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I want V9 as much as anyone and have been refreshing this thread constantly for updates, but I think this is a selfish point of view.

While WE want V9 immediately and understand the BETA stamp, shipping new features of automation before sufficient validation has the potential to harm OTHERS. So while we choose to accept that risk and promise to do our best to watch the car, there are ethical considerations around shipping the best you possible can when you feel the time is right for the safety of EVERYONE. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I was driving and another Tesla crashed into me due to a BETA feature. Seems like a quick way to get Tesla into hot water (hotter water, arguably).

I own my second Model S, I've owned a significant (6-figure $ amount, I'm sure its tiny compared to lots of you!) amount of stock for years and have never sold. I love Tesla. But I also want to be mindful of others.

So, let's get V9 when the engineering team feels ready to give us V9.

What?? Oh no...the "I have a bigger heart than you." point. Ok you officially made me feel bad and I guess I am a bad person.

Nonsense. You better stop driving your Tesla RIGHT NOW if you are THAT worried about absolutely,positively not hurting someone else. The current version has tried to steer me into oncoming traffic multiple times and I know it and am going to stay alert. If V9 is dangerous THEN IT SHOULD NOT BE RELEASED TO THOUSANDS OF EARLY ADOPTERS. Baloney, hooey and nonsense.

jeeze, as if it mattered, I am also on my second Tesla and I agree with Conman's post AND I do "care" about people.

Early adopters is total nonsense. (see Conman's post) Yes, more videos from folks in Europe who have the dangerous V9 in hacked cars.

If V9 is dangerous THEN IT SHOULD NOT BE RELEASED TO THOUSANDS OF EARLY ADOPTERS. Baloney, hooey and nonsense.

The point of the early adopters to me is that they're not quite sure how dangerous it might be. Of course they can't be 100% sure when its released either (I'm well aware of the Autosteer accidents/issues). I'm not claiming they will be. I'm only saying that I'm comfortable with the Tesla engineering team choosing when they are ready to give it to us, rather than us demanding it.

I meant no blame to you personally or attempt to make you feel bad, I'm only trying to paint an alternate point of view.

...........Tesla engineering team choosing when they are ready to give it to us, rather than us demanding it.

..........................'m only trying to paint an alternate point of view.

Understand the varied points of view here. Cool. Agree we should not DEMAND. The point......"Early Adopter" special new class of owners is nonsense. The stress over V9...the haves and the have nots is probably nonsense. The high school special clique is the point. If V9 is a danger then I see NO special skills of Early Adopters. I get the "maybe they are......." But disagree. A varied point of view to many, I am sure, particularly those inside looking out. Oh well....