TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Early Adopters - Let's Help Tesla and Each Other. Let's have group delivery parties!

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Francis Lau, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

As I was reading the various threads about delivery and how it is possible that Tesla can produce the cars but cannot perform individual deliveries due to DS shortages. It dawned on me that I am open to meeting at the Tesla store or service center for a group delivery. It helps Tesla and I also think it will be fun to meet other owners and also hear their questions. That way, once several cars come into an area for delivery, we just meet up and grab our cars! Maybe Tesla can throw in light refreshments and we can make it a small party! Non-alcoholic of course!

Who's in?

2. SteveH

SteveH Member

I'd be happy to do that if it really does help Tesla out. In fact, if they want to put my car together real quick and send it to Dallas/Forth Worth with some of the final Sigs or the R's heading this way then I'd be happy to buy the refreshments. :smile:

3. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

To give credit where it is due, my post was triggered by DouglasR's post at the delivery thread. Great idea Douglas!

4. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

Thanks, Francis. But you probably mean my post at the Production Rate thread. And yes, I'm in.

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

If the DS is the limiting factor, this does sound like a really good idea.

Existing owners could drive new owners there, so they don't need to shuffle cars (though that's often not a problem if a significant other comes along too). And existing owners can help answer questions if the DS is overwhelmed. I'd be willing to do that in the Seattle/Bellevue area if this happens when I'm not otherwise occupied.

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'd be happy to do that if it helps TM.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In that case there might be a fight as to who gets to drive the Model S back home (unless it's your second Model S that's being delivered).

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Existing owners volunteering to be quasi-DSs! Love that idea!

But for the fact that he lives on the opposite coast, I'll take Ben/cinergi as my quasi-DS any day! :biggrin:

I'm picking up at the factory anyway - as might most Bay Area folks - but am up for helping out at the local Tesla stores anytime!

9. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

It's a great idea for those who live near a service centre/Tesla store, as long as it's voluntary. May as well leverage customers' enthusiasm.

10. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

With a plethora of online virtual college degrees, we could opt for Cinergie's DS fast track cert program. ;)

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tesla has been talking about doing delivery parties for Canadian customers, because the Signature cars are all going to be delivered in a much shorter period of time than originally planned.

12. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

:tongue:

13. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Bachelor of Acceleration Science.
    Master of Recharge and Regeneration
    Doctor of Deliveries.

Etc.

14. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

But seriously Ben, your vids are awesome! Very well thought out and very helpful. TM should take a queue.
    @Brian H... Love it

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Let's not talk about the queue. :redface:

(I think you meant 'cue'. ;))

16. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Here is how I think this can be approached:
    1. We start a sticky thread to identify all delivery hubs i.e. service or showrooms
    2. All interested parties make a non-binding pledge to take delivery at a hub
    3. When your DS calls you, pledgers say they want a group delivery at their hub
    4. When a truck full of Model S comes in, the DS will contact the lucky owners to meet at the hub

What do you think?

17. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

They are working on it as we speak; their production quality obviously has to be a bit higher and they also want it to be as accurate as possible which is difficult since there are still several relatively big updates coming.

18. Omer

Omer Member

Are you privy to what those updates are?

19. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

This is a really cool idea but the closest store to me is in DC which means that I would have to pay DC taxes to get my car. There was some talk about opening a Tyson's Corner service center but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I could, potentially do this, but the inconvenience of a 3 hour drive to St.Louis or 2 1/2 to Tulsa which are my most likely central locations seems to make this pretty unlikely since it would require a lot of preplanning which it doesn't sound like will be an option. Also, there are so few deliveries even in the 3 hour radius I'm not sure how well this would work out in a practical sense.