Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early collision warning system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model S with AP2. Only few times early collision warning system had alerted me avoiding front impact and once from side impact when a cargo van tried to come into my lane while I was next to him.

Today, I was driving on I-95 in MD area (in 2nd lane from right on 4 lane highway). Honda Odyssey was to the left of me, he tried to switch lane into my lane, almost causing an accident! I was expecting some sort of side collision alert from car! I was very dissaponted, many times I noticed this kind of inconsistencies from early collision warning system. I think it’s very unreliable, I hope tesla hires proper people to figure all this out. Car is very fun to drive but this kind of unreliable safety features are just unacceptable in my option. Anyone experienced similar issues?

I have model S with AP2. Only few times early collision warning system had alerted me avoiding front impact and once from side impact when a cargo van tried to come into my lane while I was next to him.

Today, I was driving on I-95 in MD area (in 2nd lane from right on 4 lane highway). Honda Odyssey was to the left of me, he tried to switch lane into my lane, almost causing an accident! I was expecting some sort of side collision alert from car! I was very dissaponted, many times I noticed this kind of inconsistencies from early collision warning system. I think it’s very unreliable, I hope tesla hires proper people to figure all this out. Car is very fun to drive but this kind of unreliable safety features are just unacceptable in my option. Anyone experienced similar issues?
My S had been overly annoying with regards to early accident avoidance, but not with potential side impacts like you described.

I keep my early collision warning to "earliest" setting and it hasn't given me any false beeps yet.. it did beep once when I just passing a mailbox ! Not sure if this car even has side collision warning system, but it did warn me once so I am hoping it does have it.. but looks like it's not reliable at all which is very sad :(

A somewhat related question. Am I supposed to see cars in adjacent lanes on the display? If I am not mistaken I saw adjacent cars when I did a Model S test drive last month. But I am not seeing them (at least not yet) on the car I just purchased. I see the cars in front of me, but not those passing by. Is this normal?

I had the same experience with lack of side collision warning... Car started coming into my lane... Luckily I saw it out of the corner of my eye. No warning... I'm on 2017.46 ... What are the ultrasonics doing???

We have a MS with AP2 (2017.44). Worked great today for about 150 miles on a major highway. No false alarms, stayed in my lane great, auto cruise maintaining 5 car distance. Speed control was set for 70 mph and it worked fine, speeding up and slowing down, sometimes as slow as 60mph. If a car cut in from of me it would slow down and reposition the right car distance.

An accident (a few miles ahead) caused a sudden dramatic slowdown in my lane (gawking passers by). I was in full AP, and saw the lights in the car in front of me flash on. I didn't really give AP a chance to do anything as I braked hard. The prius behind us actually swerved off the road (think he overreacted). Bottom line it require firm emergency braking. Oh yea, emergency braking is set to early.

Could I have relied on my AP and emergency braking to stop the car?

As I understand, there is a major difference between emergency breaking (which is always on, unless you disable it in settings; it is engaged at shorter distances, when there is an imminent threat of an impact, it may not stop the car completely, but it will reduce the severity of the impact, it can save your life) and the traffic aware cruise control (TACC). When the TACC is on it maintains a safe distance between your car and the car in front. It works at a longer distance. It will bring your car to a complete stop if needed. In my experience, TACC does an excellent job, even if the car in front brakes too hard. I use it all the time, with or without the Autopilot. Very helpful in a stop-and-go traffic.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I'd never "test it" but it's nice to know it probably would have done something. Hard to simulate human habits e.g. looking ahead at tail lights to see iminate slow downs. Can't imagine how it knows to brake hard if the car is closing too fast on the vehicle ahead of you.