Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early life inverter failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting in the interest of science here. Had a pleasant service experience for a failure that was obviously inconvenient, but things happen. I expected some early life gremlins when I ordered this thing on battery day.

I got my 2022 (November 2021 build) Plaid S back after a failure of the left rear inverter. 5023 miles at the time of failure. Flawless before that (other than all the usual stuff - wonky cubby light, flickering yoke lights that buzz - none of which I noticed until I read the threads here and checked).

I had taken my dog to the local dog/beer park, and plugged into a ChargePoint charger like I always do (free electricity and free poop scooping with an afternoon beer can’t be beat). When I went to leave, as soon as I started to pull out of my parking spot, I got a warning that my speed was limited to 90mph and to make a service appointment. I stopped, read the message, and figured I could probably make the 4 mile trip home while keeping it under 90. But alas, it was being optimistic, and when I tried to go again, it clunked and told me to pull over safely. Put it in tow mode, pushed it back into the spot, and opened a Roadside case while I waited for my dad to come get his four-legged grandson for an unexpected sleepover. Tow truck arrived pretty promptly, but because it was in a garage, the truck wouldn’t fit - fortunately the charging stalls are right at the entrance, so I ended up pushing the car out onto the street behind the flatbed, got it winched up, and got an Uber home.

First thing Monday morning they texted that they had diagnosed the left rear inverter (which I’ve seen a few people on here post about on their X/S Plaids) and had ordered the part. It ended up taking almost 2 weeks to get the part in and get it fixed, but I had a loaner Model 3 Performance so it wasn’t much of an inconvenience. And they filled my washer fluid and detailed the car, so I had that going for me, which was nice.

Service invoice shows the left rear drive inverter, and removing/replacing the harness. Inverter replacement part was ASY, DRIVE INV, MSX PLAID, 810A, SIC, RR (1079944-05-L), and harness part was CHASSIS HARNESS REAR LEFT HAND PERFORMANCE (1420783-00-D) for what it’s worth.

I did notice that apparently, TeslaFi can still track the vehicle while it’s in service now (or they just forgot to put it in Service Mode? I dunno - My app showed the charge level accurately but wouldn’t let me exit the service appointment screen), and today before giving it back to me, they took it to the same garage and charged it for 30 minutes. I’m guessing maybe they saw something weird in the logs that suggested an issue during the charge before it died but obviously have no idea. I wouldn’t expect any linkage between an AC Level 2 charge and the drive inverter… TeslaFi logs of the charge itself from before the failure looked normal - steady voltage as usual.

• Informative
Reactions: asavage and cwerdna
Did it just happen today? How long did it take them to fix it?
No that Plaid was bought back a few months ago. It took them a month to fix since parts shortages (and then they installed the wrong one…and had to do it again).

For the front inverter they have to remove (according to the Tesla rep that did it):

1.) The rear seats.
2.) The high voltage battery.
3.) The subframe.
4.) The steering rack.
5.) The axles.
It’s a huge job. And after it’s done it needs an alignment (which they botched, of course, with my yoke several degrees off center when driving straight. Easily addressed, but just another nuisance…).

• Informative
Reactions: asavage and cwerdna
No that Plaid was bought back a few months ago. It took them a month to fix since parts shortages (and then they installed the wrong one…and had to do it again).

For the front inverter they have to remove (according to the Tesla rep that did it):

It’s a huge job. And after it’s done it needs an alignment (which they botched, of course, with my yoke several degrees off center when driving straight. Easily addressed, but just another nuisance…).
Oh ok so they bought the car back from you. That’s good. I hope they can fix my M3 properly or will have to push them to buy back

Front inverter blew on 2022 Model S Long Range, just under 5K miles. Bought back in June. Did Tesla compensate in any other manner apart of service and replacement of part without any cost to customer? I am surprised but not shocked to see so many people having these types of issues...

My 2021 Model S plaid Left Rear Inverter had failed 5380 miles and the bad aprt is Im 800 miles away from home , its unbelievable
Was the car in undrivable? Normally if something like this happens it should warn us and we can at least “drive it home” - but need to schedule a service appointment right away.

For whatever reason it seems we are having the pyro fuse blow when our inverters fail rendering the car totally useless until it’s towed and serviced.

My 2022 S Plaid, now with 6700 miles, just had the LH Inverter issue on Jan 23, 2023. "Fortunately" this happened not during my trip home earlier from the Miami airport but, later, as I was later, just as I was pulling out of my driveway, I heard a clunk, the car refused to move or reboot and gradually lost all power.

After a 90-minute wait for Tesla to arrange a tow (dolly wheels in rear and just lifted off the ground in front, I had the car back quickly, just two days later on Jan 25th.

Service order noted:
Inverter LH Rear Drive Unit (Plaid) (ASY DRIVE INV MSX PLAID 810A, SIC, RR (10799444-05-L)
Pyrotechnic 1523878-00-D) which I think is a fuse
Other items included: Cooling system - vacuum refill 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol coolant and a 4-wheel alignment

Wonder if I should be concerned that I did not also get "CHASSIS HARNESS REAR LEFT HAND PERFORMANCE (1420783-00-D)" as noted above by serendipitous ?

What are "Updated Hinges"? Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
The more I read about some of these and that many seemed to occur immediately after charging, I'm curious - does Tesla use the left rear motor's drive inverter bi-directionally? Does it route AC from the charge port to the drive inverter to put it into the battery as though it were regen, rather than having a separate AC/DC rectifier for AC charging?

Add me to this list with my 2023 Model S. The rear invert failed while driving. The car had not been charging. I had just left the house and made about half a mile when I heard the bang of the pyro fuse and lots of beeping and alerts that the car was shutting down. 2 weeks so far in the SC.

No way do ICE cars have the same percentage of catastrophic failures that leave you stranded.

Reactions: saj070
My 22 plate Model Y long range just had a rear drive inverter failure at 13k miles. It was plugged in charging and just finished on a timer when all the alarms and lights etc went off, 11:30pm at night… woke the whole st. Then it completely died. No power at all and No access to vehicle. Had to be picked up and taken to SC. I have a model 3 on loan whilst they fix it. No idea how long that will be.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ