Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Loan Payoff via Tesla Financing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten pushback from Tesla regarding early payoff on a loan?

Upon pickup, was reassured by multiple folks in Financing that there is no early termination fee or origination fee - but now am being told I am unable to pay off my car prior to Q1 2022?

After repeated emails to Tesla Finance, I got this absurd response:

"Hello,

I hope this email finds you well. I apologize for the delay in response. Unfortunately, due to system limitations paying off the loan is not yet a feature available, we do expect this option to be available in the first quarter of next year.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Matthew M.
Financial Services"

This goes against my financing agreement which states under Finance Charges:

"You may prepay. You may prepay all or part of the unpaid
part of the Amount Financed at any time without penalty. If
you do so, you must pay the earned and unpaid part of the
Finance Charge and all other amounts due up to the date of
your payment."

I dont want to sound like a Karen and get lawyers involved, but has anyone else had to deal with such a nightmare?

The first thing you should do is go through the original paperwork you signed for the loan. There should be a blurb about paying off the loan early, without penalty if that was an option. If you find it, then you can take that to Tesla or the bank and they are contractually obligated to let you pay off the balance early. If you don't find it, it may be a bit of a harder battle. Chances are you should be talking to the bank that Tesla contracted with for your loan though. They would be the ones you would pay and then release the lien after the balance is paid.
Surprisingly I found Tesla finance to be better than expected when I was buying out my Model S lease last August. They take forever to get things done, but you at least get a live person when you call.