Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early M3P purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who bought a Performance Model 3 and is feeling a little jaded? I pay way more then my monthly payment ever month and I’m still upside down 17k due to Tesla’s price reduction. And it wasn’t like it was years later it was months. The same car can now be bought for almost 20k less with FSD vs EAP when they launched the performance version. I think those who bought the M3P and even those who got their 5k back for the first reductions of price who gave their free supercharging back should get FSD for free. They want to charge me 4K to get it. That’s absolutely ridiculous considering they basically got that money from us “early” adopters. I can understand the early adopter mangalore when it’s measured in years. Not months.

That definitely sucks, but it happens. I remember when the real estate market tanked some 5-8 years ago and people were stuck with or lost properties they couldn't sell because they were upside down > 100K.

FSD went on sale in 2017 not 6 years ago.

Anyone who bought EAP before Feb this year was offered FSD for about $2k for a month before it went up to $3k. Keep in mind I paid $3k at purchase and was told it would be $4k afterwards.

FSD has never been $4k until just recently. It was $3k if you could buy with EAP (pre march) and then $5k (now $6k) if you combine with AP (post march).

The FSD after purchase price was $4k before late 2018, and then went to $5k (was $3k before delivery all that time if talking about that though). I know a few people who paid $4k for FSD a while back. When normal AP was released (March 2019), the EAP->FSD upgrade went to $3k (with a $1k refund) for a few days, $2k for a month or so (or for the best deal yet I think, $5k for AP+FSD if you didn't have EAP), then back up to $5k and eventually $6k before dropping to $3k, which was now recently bumped up to $4k again. Kind of all over the place (for EAP folks at least)...

We bought a LR RWD Nov 2018, red, EAP, FSD.
I'm sure the price has gotten better but it's just better not to analyze it much. I decided the RWD and AWD on purpose. Deep breaths and move on.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Lessons learned.

I'm confused, it sure looks like the P3D is still pretty much the same price I paid for it back in September 2018 after you take into account the phased out tax credit. Certainly within a couple thousand dollars, which is in the noise when you are talking about a $60k car..

All of these threads, that happen way too often here, can be summed up as "I am bad at math and mad about that fact"

Prices are pretty comparable now and then once you do all the math correctly. My own AWD from mid-2018 order is actually more expensive to buy functionally the same car now if you let me count the gas savings in the year+ I've had it- and still pretty damn close in price if you don't.

Now earlier Model S/X owners, especially P/Lud owners, they probably have real gripes about price cuts to bring up. Early 3 buyers, not so much.

I bought when LR RWD was the only option. A year later, I could have gotten Performance for the same price. Think about those that spent $135,000+ on their P100D. Months later, it's faster and $35,000 cheaper.

Yep these are the people that definitely deserve some money back or credits towards a new Tesla. The P100D is/was at end of life not an early adopter and people paid $135k+ then months later a new "Tesla Performance" that is lighter, quicker and cheaper comes out...that has to hurt especially if you bought Q1 2019 :confused:

Reactions: bijan
I paid 71,500 for a Performance with performance upgrade, white interior and grey paint.

-$7500 federal, -$2500 state -$5000 back from Tesla in exchange for FUSC. SO $56,500.

Last I checked my combination is $58,990 - 1875 federal -2500 state = $54,615

Only $1,885 by my math.

If you divide that by the number of months I have been enjoying my car (12) , its only cost me in absolute terms $157 a month to have the absolute joy of the P over my ford focus electric (which admittedly I only owned for carpool access). Divided by the number of V8's ive embarrassed and its like 25 cents a stoplight to get to laugh like an idiot.

going to go with.......WORTH IT!

I paid $73k in January 2019, for performance with performance package, white interior, white paint, EAP and FSD.

Same configuration is now $64 990. So that's $8k difference minus $2k for the rebate (since we all now accept this was a rebate 100% paid to Tesla). So that's a $6k difference plus an additional $2k on the interest free one year loan to Tesla. I'm leaving out the end of quarter deals Tesla routinely offers now, as well as the fact that the differential was $2k higher up until about 2 weeks ago. Hey if I wait long enough and FSD isn't bs then maybe eventually the MSRP will go back to what I paid for it.

Let the gods of math now analyze and tell me how this is wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I paid $73k in January 2019, for performance with performance package, white interior, white paint, EAP and FSD.

Same configuration is now $64 990. So that's $8k difference minus $2k for the rebate (since we all now accept this was a rebate 100% paid to Tesla). So that's a $6k difference plus an additional $2k on the interest free one year loan to Tesla.

Free 1 year loan?

You car is 6k less now, probably less because I'm betting you added in destination charges on one side and not the other.

You car is 6k less now, probably less because I'm betting you added in destination charges on one side and not the other.

Nope. The price history is public information by the way

Free 1 year loan?

Correct, that $2k extra that I subtracted from the $8k isn't in my pocket. Tesla has it and in a year the government will pay me back for my interest free loan to Tesla.

So let's be honest - Tesla took advantage of early buyers, who generally had the mindset that early buyers get a deal via tax rebate and overcharged them. Think about the fact that Tesla keeps promoting that people buy their cars before the rebate drops. Why would you do that? Just to hand cash to Tesla and wait a year to get it back? If they mentioned that the car price will drop by the rebate amount obviously no one would be rushing over rebates.

Am I the worst case? No, by far not. As mentioned model S performance buyers got hosed.

Tesla can make great cars, be making a very important push to cleaner transport and act unethically. These are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Sharing this again for the 10th time because these "My car is 20k less now!" posts never seem to go away.
tesla3.JPG
I paid $71,500. Minus 5k refund. Minus $7500 tax credit = 59k.

tesla now.JPG

Same exact car costs $58,990 now, but it does have basic autopilot. I paid 7k for EAP after the fact and 2k for FSD, so since FSD is 7k now I'll say that basic AP is valued at 2k.

So I paid 59k....car now is 56k (with 2k ap valuation reduction) - $1875 tax credit. If we want to be persnickety, I've saved 2k in fuel over the past year as well so my car is either 3k less now or $4875 less now.

Nope. The price history is public information by the way

Correct, that $2k extra that I subtracted from the $8k isn't in my pocket. Tesla has it and in a year the government will pay me back for my interest free loan to Tesla.
I don't think it makes sense at all to call that a loan but whatever. Either way, 6k or 6k plus a few bucks in interest. OP said 20k. That's a big difference isn't it?

Attachments

• tesla now.JPG
    tesla now.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

If you set your taxes up correctly you should normally owe money at the end of the year (meaning the government gave you an interest free loan all year)- and the tax credit would offset what you owe them.

If you set your taxes up correctly you should normally owe money at the end of the year (meaning the government gave you an interest free loan all year)- and the tax credit would offset what you owe them.

This is a nonsensical argument. It's still cash that I would otherwise have in my bank account, but is now in the hands of Tesla. Thus money I could have used for the one year period and now cannot.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Sharing this again for the 10th time because these "My car is 20k less now!" posts never seem to go away. ...

Why are you writing all this nonsense? I just gave you a very clear case that you can easily check. Did I say that every single person lost money? Is that the argument you are trying to refute?

Also, your calculation is wrong. You do not account for the current rebate on the car.

Why get hung up on what, $160? Assuming an 8% rate of return. Heck, let's assume you financed at 10%, so make it $360.

So you agree that I'm right then

Same configuration is now $64 990. So that's $8k difference minus $2k for the rebate (since we all now accept this was a rebate 100% paid to Tesla). So that's a $6k difference plus an additional $2k on the interest free one year loan to Tesla. I'm leaving out the end of quarter deals Tesla routinely offers now, as well as the fact that the differential was $2k higher up until about 2 weeks ago. Hey if I wait long enough and FSD isn't bs then maybe eventually the MSRP will go back to what I paid for it.

Nope you are correct. OP is wrong in the September to october 18 pricing being a 20k difference but you are right.

Buyers of a P3D in January 2019 are the most screwed as that is the most expensive it has been after incentives. Price dropped only $2k from December (fully loaded) when tax credit fell $4k. And then price dropped $1100 into feb and then another $3400 into march. Since then price has been stable or gone up.

So yes, Jan 2019 buyers overpaid by about $5k depending on your paint and Feb 2019 by $4k