Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early mode 3 buyers: pre-2020 (autopilot upgrade) sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one time there was a price reduction (2 years ago now BTW) Tesla later said it was a mistake to have done so (since they'd promised buyers previously that it would always be cheapest to buy it at time of vehicle purchase) so it's pretty unlikely they'd repeat something they said was a mistake on their part.

Not technically a price reduction from the originally available price of $3k at the time of purchase (when EAP was $5k and FSD was $3k), but there was a local minimum in price of FSD last year (which I think the OP is referring to) where it went down to $3k (I think that FSD upgrade (from EAP, not from AP) was $4k prior to that price reduction, but I could be wrong). The exact sequence of events and pricing I have lost track of. It's confusing because of the EAP -> AP downgrade pricing, etc., and the cost of the FSD adder was different for AP vehicles vs. EAP vehicles, of course.

But I do know that $3k was cheaper than it was previously because that's when I sucked it up and bought it (should definitely have pounced on that $2k offer the previous year). The right call, of course, was to buy Tesla call options, as @Daniel in SD strongly recommended, then you could just wait and buy an entire robotaxi fleet, when they are ready, which should be any day now:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not technically a price reduction from the originally available price of $3k at the time of purchase (when EAP was $5k and FSD was $3k), but there was a local minimum in price of FSD last year (which I think the OP is referring to) where it went down to $3k (I think that FSD upgrade (from EAP, not from AP) was $4k prior to that price reduction, but I could be wrong). The exact sequence of events and pricing I have lost track of. It's confusing because of the EAP -> AP downgrade pricing, etc., and the cost of the FSD adder was different for AP vehicles vs. EAP vehicles, of course.

But I do know that $3k was cheaper than it was previously because that's when I sucked it up and bought it (should definitely have pounced on that $2k offer the previous year). The right call, of course, was to buy Tesla call options, as @Daniel in SD strongly recommended, then you could just wait and buy an entire robotaxi fleet, when they are ready, which should be any day now:

I bought FSD (to add on to my EAP purchase) during that 2k firesale that @Knightshade mentioned. I didnt even care if any more features came out than my car already had. I felt that 2k for the HW 3.0 computer + installation was a good price, irregardless of new FSD features or not. At the time, I (and many others beside me) were unsure if we would get the new Hardware if we purchased FSD.

@Knightshade was steadfast (and correct) in his belief in how that would work, sometimes against fairly vocal opposition too. @AlanSubie4Life and @Knightshade , you know this was well before I was a moderator... only mentioning it because there may be people reading along that were not here etc at that time.

After reading everything, I also was convinced that the new hardware would be installed on existing vehicles if we bought FSD, so I bought it. Very happy I did. Thanks @Knightshade for beating that drum, against a fair amount of opposition.

Upvote 0
I have an April '18 build Model 3. In March of '19 I bought the Base AP for $2000 during their sale that lasted about a week. It was good, but I'd like to have turn signal lane changes.

Here in 21st century America, kicking off the AP, making the lane change, and 2 downward clicks to turn AP back on is just too much effort!

Upvote 0