Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Model S Web Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently purchased a 2015 Model S 85 in midnight blue. It's a lovely car and I'm super impressed. However, the browser is painfully slow, and yes I know this model runs on 3G, but even 3G can load web pages pretty quickly. So as a Technical engineer I ran some tests on the browser. Now I'm in the UK, but the computer thinks I'm in Spain and of course, there is added latency. Anyone had this issue and why Spain? you can test where your car's internet connection is by going to what is my IP.

The IP allocated to your car shows it's a Spain IP doesn't necessary mean it's routing all data to ISP in Spain and adding latency. It could be a database issue for Geo-IP. The problem most likely is due to having MCU1. you can pay to get it upgraded to MCU2. Computer speed is a day and night difference, and you get LTE upgrade.

Thanks for your reply, I'm looking at the MCU2 upgrade as well. Do you know what that costs and any other advantages other than LTE connection.
In the US, last price I think was still $2500 (Its changed a couple times, depends on if you get a new screen or reuse the existing screen, whether you want terrestrial radio or not) and as most can attest, transforms the car experience wholly.

Everything is faster as its different hardware inside. Maps render faster, navigation commands are almost instant, touchscreen infinitely more responsive, voice commands work almost 99% of the time vs less than 50% of the time, etc. It's 100% worth the price if your existing MCU is slow/laggy/sluggish, etc.

I believe MCU2 upgrade for AP1 car is much cheaper as they don't upgrade AP module. I think it was like $1500 in the US
Yep, it was $1500 for my 2015 AP1 car. I did not opt for the FM tuner. I had a good screen but they replaced it anyway. Should look something like:

Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A)
MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0- NA(9874564-00-A)
Rear View Camera HSD Jumper(1127304-00-B)
ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH(1052393-00-B)

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade includes replacing both the main screen and the screen above the IP. That's no matter what the condition of the screens are to my understanding.

Price in US is current $1500 without the radio tuner (you'll lose all AM/FM/XM radio). The radio tuner is an additional $500 in the US. This will get you back FM and XM (not sure what the equivalent of XM may be in Europe), but you do not get AM. There is no digital AM radio tuner anymore for any Tesla model.

And yes, the browser speed will increase dramatically, not because of any 3G vs LTE difference, but because the fundamental MCU processor is much, much, more capable.

>>In the US, last price I think was still $2500 (Its changed a couple times, depends on if you get a new screen or reuse the existing screen, whether you want terrestrial radio or not) and as most can attest, transforms the car experience wholly.<<

My 2020 S’s browser, Netflix etc are painfully slow so I hate to think what pre-20’s are like!

The IP allocated to your car shows it's a Spain IP doesn't necessary mean it's routing all data to ISP in Spain and adding latency. It could be a database issue for Geo-IP. The problem most likely is due to having MCU1. you can pay to get it upgraded to MCU2. Computer speed is a day and night difference, and you get LTE upgrade.

I do think all data goes through Tesla VPN.

I have MCU2. I live in Finland and all web pages seem to think I'm in Stockholm Sweden. This creates some issues with geofencing.. For example most Finnish TV streams are not allowed to view outside of Finland, unless you can identify as Finnish citizen. But this only means I have to register and login to each site so they know it's me. :)

>>Please report back, because I have a similar experience, which seems to improve when no USB-dev is present.<<

Will do.
I see you're from Norway - I'd meant to ask Bjorn about the situation with gas stations: have the number of EVs in the country impacted the number of gas stations yet? I predict that when a tipping point is reached they will rapidly become uneconomic.

Ha en fin dag

>>Please report back, because I have a similar experience, which seems to improve when no USB-dev is present.<<

Will do.
Thanks.
I see you're from Norway - I'd meant to ask Bjorn about the situation with gas stations: have the number of EVs in the country impacted the number of gas stations yet? I predict that when a tipping point is reached they will rapidly become uneconomic.
I haven't seen a demise of gas stations yet, but I have no actual statistical information.
Anyways; EV'ers still need washer fluid, snacks and coffee 😄. Maybe even more than ICE'ers...?
Besides, many high power chargers are located at or near gas stations.
Edit: In the future they may remove more gas pumps - as we have seen some places already.

Last edited:
I did the MCU2 upgrade recently and the browser still sucks and is painfully slow.

Reactions: Wol747